Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sunscreen for my Sphynx?

AlanaKS

Lairian
Hi everyone, Just wondering if anyone puts sunscreen on their babies...and if so, what kind?
Ive recently got myself an Arbonne business, they are world leaders in 100% vegan, chemical/toxic/parabon/phthalate skin care and cosmetics, and they do this AMAZING spf30+ sunscreen for babies (great for babies with eczema) that i have been putting on my darling Sphynx "Nergal".

The Ozone layer above Australia has massive holes in it, and i worry about Nergal even sitting at the window bathing in the suns rays.
Has anyone used this product before? Or have another product they recommend?

Tiffany_Kay

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER... It's not safe for sphynx cats because if they ingested a can get sick. Many healthy products that are safe on babies can kill you cat.

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Check the ingredients and then look up what is toxic to cats, sunscreens all have one product that is deadly to cats even if it is vegan. Better safe than sorry.:) Try a shirt on your baby that will protect him some:)

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi, I love Arbonne products and I know they are of the higest quality I use them myself. I know that no sunscreen out on the market is safe for sphynx I would use a light weight shirt for protection. Their products may be safe but I would investigate the ingredients to what a cat can ingest to be sure I know everything that is either a plant, a root, or made from a tree goes into their products so it is superior over anything out on the market but that does not mean its safe for these exotic cats...just do some research. Xtina

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi everyone, Just wondering if anyone puts sunscreen on their babies...and if so, what kind?
Ive recently got myself an Arbonne business, they are world leaders in 100% vegan, chemical/toxic/parabon/phthalate skin care and cosmetics, and they do this AMAZING spf30+ sunscreen for babies (great for babies with eczema) that i have been putting on my darling Sphynx "Nergal".

The Ozone layer above Australia has massive holes in it, and i worry about Nergal even sitting at the window bathing in the suns rays.
Has anyone used this product before? Or have another product they recommend?

Sunscreen isn't really safe for animals that lick themselves. Most have Zinc in it which is really toxic. That being said, I saw some pet 'safe' made for pets sunscreen (I live in Australia too) by MooGoo the brand. They use edible ingredients, but I would double check. I have just settled with blocking my windows with sun shades. They are very sensitive.

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I do clothing or if I take Emma outside, her stroller has sun shades included to keep the sun off of her...

AlanaKS

Lairian
Hi All! Thanks for you replies. This is really good to know!!!
I struggle so much with Nergal and sun exposure, i put him in thin cotton Ts (regardless if he is going outside with me or not), shut my blinds and do whatever i can to protect him from the sun...unfortunately my house has a sun roof above the stairs (obviously this is his favourite spot to sit) And the sun rays is still burning him.

I have asked a few vets about this sunscreen and they have all said its safe, but the more i am reading on the internet the more concerned i am getting. He hasn't gotten sick or seemed uncomfortable with it but i'm really concerned now that i am doing more damage then good.

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi All! Thanks for you replies. This is really good to know!!!
I struggle so much with Nergal and sun exposure, i put him in thin cotton Ts (regardless if he is going outside with me or not), shut my blinds and do whatever i can to protect him from the sun...unfortunately my house has a sun roof above the stairs (obviously this is his favourite spot to sit) And the sun rays is still burning him.

I have asked a few vets about this sunscreen and they have all said its safe, but the more i am reading on the internet the more concerned i am getting. He hasn't gotten sick or seemed uncomfortable with it but i'm really concerned now that i am doing more damage then good.
Is there any chance you can get someone to put window tint on the sun roof?? The sun will still get thru but he won't get burnt, I read it somewhere else in the forum.

Back