Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sunscreen

holly_savage

Banned
Do you / can you use sunscreen on your Sphynxes?
If yes, what kind?
I am concerned about her licking it off and getting sick from it...

:Dizzy:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I need to know too. Snuffie has been laying in the sun spots through out the house and now the wrinkles on her head,,well the inside of them are lighter so she's been working on her suntan without me! Silly cat!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have never used it but do put coconut oil on them so they do not burn when they are on the window sill.

holly_savage

Banned
I need to know too. Snuffie has been laying in the sun spots through out the house and now the wrinkles on her head,,well the inside of them are lighter so she's been working on her suntan without me! Silly cat!

:LOL::LOL:
I am having the same issue with her back /spine wrinkles...my Seal Mink & White is starting to look like a Seal Mink Tabbie & White. At first I thought it was just her "grunge" look, but turns out they don't wash off!

:LOL::LOL:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Interesting - I would think coconut oil would intensify the heat and tan/burn them. I'd rather use a cat friendly sunscreen.

apcolleen

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
They have sunscreen for dogs but not yet for cats. I was thinking you could use plain zinc oxide but they could get zinc toxicity if they ingest it. and for some reason when i use desitin on my face and it gets on my arms and hands they go nuts for it and lick it off lol.

Im pale... as long as i rub it in and keep it out of my eyebrows im good. The UV index was at 10.3 today lol, i have to wear susncreen on my face if im going to be driving alot lol, my face is VERY sensitive. OH and i use it also for helping my acne. i have the dry irritated acne sometimes and my face literally HURTS lol its also great if you wana do kibuki for halloween and not have a horrid time washing it off. way better than the white face makeup

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
from what I've read, zinc oxide is rather bad for cats, and I am unaware of any sunscreen that doesn't use it.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
yup - We've talked about the zinc oxide before when I first joined the Lair, its very bad for kitties. There is one out there that you can get without but I can't seem to find it. I'm going to check with my vet and see if he recommends anything. If so and it checks out ok I'll let you guys know.

J

Jinxlover

Is it just better to get one of those window tinter things so they are not exposed so much then?

That's a good idea. Maybe the people that tint car windows would make a house call and tint the windows in our houses...

My vet is the one that told me not to put sunscreen on her.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I read somewhere that sphynx cats are the only species that doesnt burn, they only tan and freckle. I thought that was a load of bull, but Nofuratu sunbathes a lot and he gets a summer tan and freckles! He has never burned. Im always cautious though and have lots of thin blankets and sun hats for him when we are out in the sun, just in case he burns.

As far as windows are concerned, newer houses have windows with U.V protection in them and I think cars might too? I live in an old victorian house with the original windows, but still, nofur has never burned.

I would definetely stay away from sun screen even if it is supposed to be safe...a light cotton recieving blanket will block a lot of sun and keep your cat cool.....
That car window screen thing that they use for babies is a great idea!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

sphynxmommy

Lairian
I asked my vet about sunscreen and she said to try to find one especially made for cats if not coppertone water babies would be good to use on the tips of the ears but no where near the eyes. She also suggested buying the uv film to put on the windows and that's prob the route we are goingvto go. At walmart or home depot they have the films that block out uv rays and they peel off when you don't want them anymore, not too expensive either. Just a suggestion btw ppl on thus forum will see that I ask my vet about EVERYTHING...I trust her a lot!!:Laugh:

Teri*D

Lairian
Is it really bad for them to be out in the sun? Chloe likes to go out in the morning with me in the backyard, should I be concerned? She's only out there for about 15/20 min when she is out there. She loves to chase the lizards, lol.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Snuffie lays in our sliding glass window all morning. The sun comes up on that side of the house and she lays there until 1 or so when the sun is above the house then she migrates to the front side of the house and lays in the front door which is a huge glass door. lol She hasn't burned. I kept good eye on her at first to make sure but I have noticed the wrinkles on her head,,the valleys between them are lighter so she is defintley getting darker, just not noticeably or by a whole lot.

holly_savage

Banned
but I have noticed the wrinkles on her head,,the valleys between them are lighter so she is defintley getting darker, just not noticeably or by a whole lot.

yup I have the same issue, but on Hibou's back!

not sure if it noticeable to everyone else, but I can see them, and she is not a tabby, and is starting to look like one...:LOL::LOL::LOL:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
As of now there is not a sunscreen for cats but it is in the works from what I have read with hopes to be available in the next year.
You can use sunblock on ears nose, top of head. places that can not be licked or you can find a zinc free sunblock.
I found Solar Rx Sunblock and they say it is safe for cats but I don't know where the info came from? ( I am guessing their marketing dept.)

I have used regular baby sunblock on ours and find that the spray soaks in much faster then the lotion so that is better because of the licking.
At first I used nothing I never thought about it, and neither of our sphynx burned but Leo gets a yucky rash from the sun.
I remember one of our members if I am correct it was Ruthart and she had found a sphynx in her yard who was very badly sun burned. She was not able to find his owner but as nursed him back to health and he is hers now.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I read the ingredients for the spray water babies sunblock and it did not include Zinc but there were so many big words and areosol type things in it I was scared to get it and try it.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

AthenaAura

Lairian
I was wondering if any of the organic baby brands might be ok? They are so expensive though. I looked at on that was twenty dollars an ounce.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
The one I found was organic and seems like the best way to go, just be careful because from what I read zinc is considered natural and is in some of the organtics.

Back