Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

annaleemv

Lairian
Hello Sphynx Lovers,

What supplements do you feed your cats? Currently, I am working on a slow transition to raw food. She is not on raw food yet. Right now, she is eating kibble and wet food in separate bowls. I'm hoping to eliminate the kibble altogether and eventually transition the wet into raw food. She is 11 years old and will be turning 12 in December. She is healthy and happy. The only issue I have noticed is she has bad oral health, and she is having some sort of front paw problem. I will be visiting the vet this week about it. I'm not sure if it is just arthritis or something else. If I can get a diagnosis than I can work on that too. I want to get her on a supplement routine that includes probiotics, antioxidants, and other critical components that promote longevity and quality of life. If you give your kitties supplements can you include the following:
-Supplement Name
-Brand Name
-Purchase Location
-Feeding Routine

Thanks!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We use L-Lysine...

Vetoquinol Viralys L-Lysine Powder
We buy it on Amazon
We mix it morning and night in their wet food
be84d4725a1d95edaa94ae1c53a0d9b8.jpg

Yoda mom

Staff member
@annaleemv , Awh hairless is going to be twelve ((hugs)))
Sending positive vibes for her vet visit

Here is a detail product line you can ask your vet sbout -
There is a maintenance gel, antispectic gel , and a water additive
Oratene Brushless Enzymatic Oral Care Therapy Dental Gel for Dogs & Cats, 2.5-oz tube

Check her paw pads - my boy had "pillow foot " not seen too often
Amd my vet missed it

I use l-lysine powder too

I am sure @Xandria and @Condo commando , can chime in with some raw feeding and supplement advice

Has she been on kibble amd wet food for 11 years?
( Curious to thoughts about changing to raw?
I tired raw with my "brats" and they weren't having it )

I am definitely interested in replies to your great question about supplements

All paws crossed for Hairless' vet visit
Please let us know what supplements her vet recommends
*** also if vet wants to do a dental - remember Be sure "No Ketamine " anesthesia -
It can have a fatal rebound effect on the heart -
Many vets use an inhalant like "Isoflurane " instead

I mark my kitties crate annd request medical chart be labeled "No Ketamine"
Or Ketamine allergy !

I will be checking in for updates on her vet visit
Hugs n Head smooches sent

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi there, @annaleemv .

Transitioning to raw can be a little bit of effort sometimes, especially with cats who've been on non-raw for a while. But it's not impossible.

Fortiflora (Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets FortiFlora Probiotic Cat Supplement) is a great enticement. It's like kitty crack. I also add a little sprinkling to their lunch time meal of raw for health purposes -- everyone should have some probiotics now and again :)

For breakfast and lunch my two also get a 500mg capsule each of L-lysine. L-Lysine 500 mg Capsules I buy the NOW brand -- cheap and easy to use. This helps their immune system. Whenever one seems to be a little sneezy, I feed an extra 500 mg for their lunch too and it seems to help fight back any cold they might be getting.

For dinner, my boy gets VetForm Digestive Enzymes (Digestive Enzymes) because he has some difficulty with processing proteins. This isn't a must have. But it's great when applicable.

Cheers!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi there! It sounds like you're planning to make the raw food at home. I'll tell you what I do and you can decide what works for you.

I buy ground up meats that include bone and organs as well as the muscle meat. Then I add a "supplement" which consists of vitamins and minerals needed in addition to what is in the meat. Calling it a supplement is really not accurate; these are REQUIRED vitamins and minerals that aren't in meat in sufficient enough quantities so you must add them. I then also add raw fish for omega 3 fatty acids; powder supplements don't have omega 3's so it needs to be added separately. (Don't use fish oil from a vitamin store.)

VERY IMPORTANT - the exact supplements you need depend on what you are starting with - for example, will you include liver in your recipe? Liver is high in vitamin A which cats need, but you don't want to just add extra vitamin A because too much is not good. What about bone? If you don't put bone in then you need to add calcium, but again you don't want to overdo it on calcium because that's not good either. Honestly the best thing to do is post your recipe here and then we can give you tips on what might (or might not) be missing.

If you want to read here are some links:
Feline Nutrition Foundation
Making Cat Food
Every Raw Feeder's Resource for Raw Diets

And this is from our Lair member Xandria: Raw Cat Food Information

By the way a couple of other tricks to entice them to eat new foods is sprinkle something on it. FortiFlora which was mentioned above is good but cheaper is buy a bag of Temptations treats and crush them, then sprinkle a little over the food. Also grated parmesan could do the trick.

Last edited:
Back