Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Supplements for Cats

Susanhughes

Lairian
Zeus' gums are a little red. The Vet said that I should be giving him some kind of a fatty acid. 1PDC or something. Have any of you heard of this and do you give your cat fatty acids?
Thank you

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
He didn't mention Feline Stomatitis, did he?
If so, you can google that. It's something, more concerning.
But, just a little red gum, nothing else.
You can use this.
EFAC Periodontal Health Advance for dogs and cats.
The link

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Susanhughes just stopping by to wish Zeus the best with his gums. Update us and let us know if the supplement begins to do the job.

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Omega 3's are fatty acîds. They are supposed to be part of a healthy diet. They're anti-inflammatory so if the gums are swollen maybe that's why the vet suggested it. Anyway you find omega 3's in fish or specifically fish oils I'm not sure what you are feeding, but it might be that you just need to supplement the food with omega 3's. The supplement you bought has some omega 3's in it but it's not cheap so I thought I would chime in with a few other options.

As a point of reference, I give my cats - who weigh about 10 pounds each - 175 mg each per day of EPA and DHA which are the good omegas.

You have some options:
1. I make raw food so what I do is add some raw herring or raw sardines when I make the food.
2. Another option is to use a fish oil supplement. When you're looking at a supplement it might say 500 mg of fish oil but all you care about is the mg of EPA and DHA. It should be shown on the bottle.
3. Still another option is canned sardines. They tend to be high in sodium but I discovered this one at Walmart. Before I switched to raw I would give each cat one can of this per week.

Susanhughes

Lairian
Omega 3's are fatty acîds. They are supposed to be part of a healthy diet. They're anti-inflammatory so if the gums are swollen maybe that's why the vet suggested it. Anyway you find omega 3's in fish or specifically fish oils I'm not sure what you are feeding, but it might be that you just need to supplement the food with omega 3's. The supplement you bought has some omega 3's in it but it's not cheap so I thought I would chime in with a few other options.

As a point of reference, I give my cats - who weigh about 10 pounds each - 175 mg each per day of EPA and DHA which are the good omegas.

You have some options:
1. I make raw food so what I do is add some raw herring or raw sardines when I make the food.
2. Another option is to use a fish oil supplement. When you're looking at a supplement it might say 500 mg of fish oil but all you care about is the mg of EPA and DHA. It should be shown on the bottle.
3. Still another option is canned sardines. They tend to be high in sodium but I discovered this one at Walmart. Before I switched to raw I would give each cat one can of this per week.
Thank u so much!!