Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

supplies, supplies, supplies....

dragynflye

Lairian
i'm already window shopping! :Laugh: there's so much to get, so much i want and need. i know i've still got lots of time, but i'd like to get started. so, lay it on me! what are your favorites? what things can you (and your sphynx) unable to live without?

litter?
food?
boxes?
beds?
shampoo?
grooming supplies?
toys?
bowls?
collars/harnesses?
anything else????

i have fabulous plans to take my beautiful sphynx (when he's big enough) on "walks", trips to the store, parks, ect. i've looked at strollers, but i'd like to get him a harness and leash, as well. of course, i'm worried about choosing a harness he can escape, so i am looking for a good one.... i'm looking at styles like this or this. i know people who use and love them for small (tiny) dogs... how do you think they'd work for a cat?

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If you do a search for any of these things you will find lots of information on it all. I am of the easy shopping mindset where i use easy to grab things that don't seem to adversely affect my bubs. I use Purina One kitten food, tidy cats litter and generic baby wash. My kitties do get only the best for their Lysine and Taurine treats that I order off the Internet.

Many "parents" have many approaches. Some have found raw feeding is best for their "kids" and others like natural litters. Do a search and see what others think, but it is ultimately what you are most comfortable with so long as you take nutrition and safety into account!

oh!! As far as toys my guys like anything I don't buy...foil balls, milk jug rings, bugs, pens & straws!!:Smile:

Last edited:

Brooke

Banned
Here's what we use in my house (certainly doesn't mean it's going to be right for you and your baby, but it's what works perfectly for us!)

litter - Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat (99% Dust Free, any time I try to switch, the guys start sneezing)
food - raw
boxes - Litter-Robot, my most loved inanimate object. :LOL:
beds - mine!
shampoo - Dawn
grooming supplies - epi-otic ear cleaner, nail clippers, unscented baby wipes
toys - Undercover Mouse, hair bands, Da Bird, Yeow! Catnip cigars, milk jug rings
bowls - I just use plates for the raw (easier to wash)
collars/harnesses

Last edited by a moderator:

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Me too! Most are same as Brooke (thank you- most suggestions came from you! :ThumbsUp:).

litter - Dr. Elsey's - I use "Cat Attract"
food - just switched to Nature's Variety Lamb and Oatmeal since her former food was too strong for her tummy
boxes - anything top entry - If I had more kitties I would definitely get the Robot!
beds - sleeps with me or in her Den

shampoo - Dawn
grooming supplies - all same as Brooke - definitely need the nail trimmer. I can feel when Sophie needs a clipping.
toys - anything she can get her paws on! She loves Undercover Mouse, slinky, straws, bottle caps, any crumpled up paper
bowls - this is her bowl:

collars/harnesses - Sophie has a smoothie collar too and I've thought about getting a smoothie harness soon. In the meantime I use this adjustable small dog harness.

Happy shopping! :Smile:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
we use:

litter? = tidy cats - scoop it twice a day
food? - Iams Proactive kitten food, dry and canned
boxes? - basic covered litter box - nothing special
beds? - she has a fleece stuffed bed but she sleeps in my bed most of the time
shampoo? - johnson & johnson
grooming supplies? - kitty nail clippers - unscented baby wipes - coconut oil - qtips and or cotton balls - her own set of towells and washclothes , FLUSH ear cleaner( I get it from her vet), tissues for eye gooies, "I think thats all"
toys? - she plays with any and everything, its better to use homemade toys such as ribbons or pens, or milk jug rings then buying something she only plays with once or twice
bowls? - any bowls - I bought special bowls and it didnt work out for her water, so she has a pretty bowl for food and a regular plastic bowl for water and I give her canned food on paper plates
collars/harnesses? - still finding a compatible one for snuffie
anything else???? - Clothes of course!!!!! :) Fleece blankets to lay on the couch or a chair she might like to snooze in, I put placemats under Snuffies food dishes because she likes to play in her water and make messes and its easier clean up

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yup, sounds about right. Except I have LOTS of blankets!! I live in Wisconsin in a 100 yr old home so I keep lots of microfleece all over the house so that they can stay warm. When I'm home, they are usually on my lap (wrapped in fleece or wearing it) or in bed with me though.

You'll wonder how you ever lived without a sphynx!!! :LOL:

Brooke

Banned
Oh, good point about the blankets!! I have blankets all over the house, mostly the really soft plush throws you see in all the stores right now. Those are definitely a must have!

dragynflye

Lairian
thanks, y'all!

i guess for some reason i thought a hairless cat would need a special litter.... don't know why!

i have lots of blankets. i haven't been able to bring myself to part with my daughter's old receiving blankets, yet. i'll pick up a few bigger ones.

i was also thinking about getting him a heating pad, since my ghetto house is very poorly insulated... anyone else use one? would i have to worry about him getting TOO hot, or it burning him?

i've already started knitting for him, and i have a few sweaters that watson (my boxer pup) has outgrown. i'm afraid to buy him any clothes right now, because i don't know how big he'll be. also, because we've only lived here a few months, i have no idea how warm it is going to be in april, so i don't know what he'll need. if we still lived in alaska, he'd probably be bundled year round! :LOL:

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
thanks, y'all!

i guess for some reason i thought a hairless cat would need a special litter.... don't know why!

i have lots of blankets. i haven't been able to bring myself to part with my daughter's old receiving blankets, yet. i'll pick up a few bigger ones.

i was also thinking about getting him a heating pad, since my ghetto house is very poorly insulated... anyone else use one? would i have to worry about him getting TOO hot, or it burning him?

i've already started knitting for him, and i have a few sweaters that watson (my boxer pup) has outgrown. i'm afraid to buy him any clothes right now, because i don't know how big he'll be. also, because we've only lived here a few months, i have no idea how warm it is going to be in april, so i don't know what he'll need. if we still lived in alaska, he'd probably be bundled year round! :LOL:

I use a heated blanket and Sophie likes to cuddle with me when I use it. I have a heating pad that I would wrap in a blanket but ever since I got the heated blanket she likes that better.

A good measure for heat is if it's comfortable to you to touch its comfortable for your kitty. I usually use a medium or low heat setting and that is enough for the blanket/pad. Sophie likes to sit directly in front of the heater duct and just soaks it in. She likes the heat more than I do and I didn't think that was possible in the winter! :LOL:

Brooke

Banned

No special litter required, but some Sphynx seem to have more sensitive respiratory systems. That's why I try to stay with the litters that are low in dust. (Like Dr. Elsey's), and I've heard the Walmart brand of litter is very similar, but I haven't tried it.

I used a heating blanket in the winter. Like Heather, I just use the low or medium setting and they will sit in the blanket ALL DAY LONG!

wundrlust

Lairian
Food... Tatse of the Wild and Tikki. Only can food and free range raw.

Treast.... dehydrated shrimp

Litter.... World's Best and trying Purr and Simple

Vitamins .. Vet Solutions High-Cal and Vetoquinol Enisyl-F

Toys ... Absolutly love Spicy Micey ( 3 red mice with noise that nest in potent organic catnip) . Laser light to chase all over. Organic bubbles. Assorted noisy toys that I had for all my Ferrets. MY STUFF..anything they can steal and run with!

Water... NO TAP! Reverse osmosis.

Lots of warm electric throws places in their favorite sleeping areas! They especially love the heated bed that is on the table next to the window where we feed the birds everyday.

Last but not least...BOB. They adore him! He is their favorite toy!!!

wundrlust

Lairian
Heaven's NO! God forbid we have to use batteries.....I would really be in trouble! The man is incredible and he's all mine!!!

sassyskye79

Lairian
For Jazelle's bed I use a laundry basket that I put an eletric blanket in then cover with a sheet. Then I place fleece blankets over the top to make a little house! She loves it! I keep it on a very low setting .
I suggest after your kitty is a little older getting citi kitty potty training system! No more litter for me but when I did use it I liked arm and hammer!

Cassidy

Lairian
I wish I would have asked this question when I was getting ready for Yuri to come home!! So smart!

litter? I use/d swheat scoop litter and I always really liked it, it does track some, but I don't think there's any litter that doesn't and I was always happy with it's smell containing abilities

food? Wellness brand Kitten food, although soon I'll have to find an adult food!

boxes? right now I'm trying to toilet train Yuri, so hopefully I won't need this one anymore! It's going pretty well, if you're up for a challenge I'd definitely recommend it!

beds? I actually just got a fancy pillow sham cover from target, I stuff it with a blanket and at first Yuri didn't seem that interested in it, but now I added a small heating pad made just for pets inside, so it stays at a lower temperature and is safe to leave plugged in all the time, ever since then Yuri loves her bed! I have allergies so it's been a relief that she'd now rather sleep there than with me. She also has a little stuffed monkey in her bed and she looooves to curl up with it's arms around her like she's being huged, super cute.

shampoo? I use a shampoo I got from the vet for sensitive skin, but I don't think it's cutting the dirt well enough, I'm definitely going to look into this coconut oil!

grooming supplies? same as everyone else basically, nail cutters, wipes, ear cleaner, I also have an ointment from the vet I put in her eyes whenever they are looking goopy, no eyelashes so she can get stuff in her eyes!

toys? believe it or not, she loves balls of paper, and the cat dancer!

bowls? I just got a little set of ceramic bowls from IKEA, the work great and look nice too!

collars/harnesses? I use a figure 8 style harness and Yuri really doesn't mind it, I'd recommend trying one of those, especially at first when your kitten still really little.

anything else???? oh, her favorite treats are pet greens roasted chicken semi-moist treats, LOVES them, I used them to train her to learn her name and am using them for the toilet training now. Good luck! I hope I wasn't too late!

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've been known to take Butterball to Petsmart every now and then. Everyone loves him. The groomers even clean his ears for free. I would definitely recommend treats.

J

Jinxlover

oh!! As far as toys my guys like anything I don't buy...foil balls, milk jug rings, bugs, pens & straws!!:Smile:

Funny you should say straws....Boo LOVES straws, she will rip then off right out of our glass!! I buy tons of toy but NOTHING is better than a straw....:ThumbsUp:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Funny you should say straws....Boo LOVES straws, she will rip then off right out of our glass!! I buy tons of toy but NOTHING is better than a straw....:ThumbsUp:

Oh man you are so right. Don't forget cue tips, toothpicks, toilet paper and string.

Oh, and I found that a simple tube sock works excellent for clothes when they're small. Just cut the bottom of the sock off and make two holes for arms and that's it. But they grow out of them quickly. If you buy a heating pad or blanket, it will be kitties most favorite spot I guarantee. Just keep it on low.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
OOOH! kitten supplies! I have lots of travel accessory tips...

Litter- All natural and FLUSHABLE cedar. Smells great and its easy to clean by dumping it in the toilet!
Litter quitter-if you are going to travel with your sphynx it is easier with a toilet trained one than having to carry around a litter box everywhere....

Clothes- dont buy too much clothing during the kitten stage!!! or dont buy expensive stuff!!! They grow so quickly and will get much more wear out of it when full grown.
-Socks work great and so do newborn human baby sleepers from the thrift store.
-Get clothes with that little hole in the back of the neck so your cat can wear a harness under the clothes. We hate having to cram Nofuratu's harnesses on him over top of a big sweater!

Stroller-Save a TON of money and get a good used stroller at a thrift store instead of buying one at the pet store. Human baby strollers hold a lot of weight, theyre durable and you csn get ones with good off roading wheels that will go anywhere. they also have LOTS of storage for stuff and collapse easily.

Harnesses-The best type for cat walking are the ones that are styled like a tank top, NOT the nylon collar type ones...they chaffe the skin. Nofuratu has lots of "tank" harnesses, windbreaker type material for summer and padded quilted ones for winter.
-Cat bells, get lots of extra ones at the craft store and attatch multiple bells to each collar and harness.....if you lose your cat in a store or building you will be able to hear him. This is a great help with nofuratu at the flea market when he's running around i can hear where he is!

Travel bag- I like the female purse style pet carrier cause you can sneak your cat into lots of places if you look like you just have a purse.
-Get one with a "clip" inside that can attatch to your pets harness so they dont jump or fall out..
-Needs lots of pockets to hold wipes, q tips, extra sweaters leash , snacks etc...you cant go anywhere with a sphynx without extra food....they eat often.
-I carry Nofurs food in a little tupperware container and have a foldable bowl for water..
-teaching your cat to drink from a bottle cap is also helpful if you plan to travel. Nofur actually licks his lips when he is thirsty and sees us pull out a bottle of water! LOL.

Blankets-lots of microfibre and fleece for winter and those thin cotton receiving blankets for summer.

Heating pad-dont use when ur not at home! We have a small pad and also a big heating blanket. Nofur adores it. If it gets to hot he moves.

Grooming-Toothbrush, pet toothpaste, nail trimmers, ear cleaner, shampoo, coconut oil, qtips, baby wipes and rubber duckies to play with in the tub! u can also get microfibre wash cloths.

Baby wipe warmer-we dont have one but its on the list!

Collar-make sure you use a safety/break away collar, or an oversized one that can slip over their head.

Hats- wooly hats for winter travelling and sun hats for the summer.

Travel tips: ALWAYS bring a blanket, even in hot weather sphynx get chilled by the wind, it also blocks the sun. Never forget extra food, especislly with kittens they get big snack attacks!!
-Dont wait for your sphynx to "get bigger" before you travel! We started Nofuratu travelling at least 3 days a week when he was 4 months old. He can handle anything now. Also go into noisy places and outside with lots of traffic, cars flying by can scare them and its the worse place to have a cat bolt! Just expose him to everything you can think of....

Dont forget when you get your cat neutered/spayed get a microchip!!!

holly_savage

Banned
one thing that I had forgotten about but bought yesterday a litter mat...boy does Hibou ever track that stuff everywhere. We use the Clumping Pine Litter, she seems to like it ok

toms4marisa

Lairian
anything else???? oh, her favorite treats are pet greens roasted chicken semi-moist treats, LOVES them, I used them to train her to learn her name and am using them for the toilet training now. Good luck! I hope I wasn't too late!

Glad to know pet greens are sphynx safe! Saw them in petsmart the other day and was hoping I could get it for Dante!

Back