Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Surgery Scar?

mytripb

Lairian
What would be the average size (length) of the incision for a typical spay procedure. We just had our kitty spayed this week and her incision is a good 2.5 inches long and she is so small (4lbs). The incision takes up a lot of her little belly. :Surprise:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Cleos scar is smaller then that.
It is less then 2 inches.
You can still see it very well even though it has been a year.
That sounds big to me.

mytripb

Lairian
I just thought of something. The VET did say she tucked the sutures in so they couldn't be licked at. Does this mean what I am actually seeing is not the incision but just folded skin to protect the sutures.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
All my cats had disolving stitches.
I can show you pics if you want to see.
Cleo was altered before I got her but I also have pics of thes scar.
My Meeko had Pyometra and the cut was not 2.5 inches long either.
I have pictures of it.
You should ask your vet why it is so long.

mytripb

Lairian
Could you see the stitches? All I see is a line of skin no stitches. So I don't think I am seeing the actual incision, almost like the skin is folded over the stitches.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
No you do not see the stitches.
They are on the inside.
This is Cleos Scar.
She was altered before I got her at 3.5 months old.
DSC00809.jpg

This is Meeko within 2 days of her Pyometra surgery.

DSC00673.jpg

Can you post picttures?

PitRottMommy

Banned
What would be the average size (length) of the incision for a typical spay procedure. We just had our kitty spayed this week and her incision is a good 2.5 inches long and she is so small (4lbs). The incision takes up a lot of her little belly. :Surprise:

It depends on how difficult the surgery was. For most pets, spayed young, the scar will be under 1". However, you can't judge yet because you're looking at a fresh incision. Her scar will be much smaller. Give it time :Wink:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sami,
This happeed last Jan.
I knew it was pyo before I even went to the vet.
I had been taught what to look for.

PitRottMommy

Banned
She's lucky. A lot of people don't realize what is going on. Was she open or closed?

Pyometra is the precise reason I don't have intact females at my house, of any species. (And if I were of an age that I could have mine removed, I'd totally do it :LOL:).

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It was open and we called the vet as soon as they opened.
I agree with you about women.
I get very sick every month.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Poor girl. Very fortunate.

After taking a 15# uterus out of a 40 pound dog, I decided spaying of all my females would be taking place from that point on. And, I haven't regretted it...although, I might've been a touch jealous. :Wink:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And not to derail our conversation, but everyone needs to hear about how wonderful my birth control is :LOL::

I started having horrible, debilitating cramps when I was 14. My mother must have thought I was making it up because her idea was "to drink lemon water". Apparently cramps are caused by water, in her mind.

Be that as it may, I was diagnosed with an oral cancer when I was 16. When they removed the cancer, I was rx'd Percocet. I would take 2 to knock out the pain from surgery. I realized, by a stroke of luck, that I was almost pain-free when I cycled. So, I stopped taking the Percocet for surgery recovery and saved it for cramps.

6 months later, I had my 4 wisdom teeth removed. And suffered through the pain, so I could save the Percocet for cramps.

At 18, I was diagnosed with cystic ovaries and endometriosis (turns out, doesn't respond so well to "lemon water"--who knew? :Furious:).

Finally!!!! At 22, I was put on Depo-Provera which stopped my cycles altogether. It has been the biggest blessing, beyond the risks, to date. So, until further notice, Depo is the most awesomest birth control IMPO.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am not allowed to be on bc but I did save the pain meds from my gall bladder surgery last June and it works for cramps.
Meeko was 8.5 years old when she got the pyo.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Was she breeding or an intact non-breeding female?

(I hate being a female. One of these days my gyn will finally realize that I'm not having kids because I CAN'T and will permit a more permanent BC).

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Meeko had 1 kitten at age 2.
My brother said the males was altered where I had to leave my cats but he was not.
I hate being lied to.
She had never been altered because I was very scaredwith her heart murmur.

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I know how u girls feel I always called out of school because I would get so sick when it was that time of the month! I'm on lowestrogen 24 it helps alot! But some .s r way worse than others sometimes!

PitRottMommy

Banned
What is pyo????

More specifically, it's a very large buildup of pus. There is a closed pyometra, where the uterus contains the pus. And then there's an open pyometra, where the pus has escaped the uterus. If one is lucky, the pus has exited the vaginal canal. If one is unlucky, the uterus has ruptured and expressed pus into the abdominal cavity--putting the cat's life at risk of peritonitis and/or sepsis. It's imperative that a pet with this type of infection receive help asap, pyometra can kill a female. The only way to prevent it is to have a female spayed. And the best treatment for a pyo, likewise, is also to have her spayed.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Poor girl. Very fortunate.

After taking a 15# uterus out of a 40 pound dog, I decided spaying of all my females would be taking place from that point on. And, I haven't regretted it...although, I might've been a touch jealous. :Wink:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And not to derail our conversation, but everyone needs to hear about how wonderful my birth control is :LOL::

I started having horrible, debilitating cramps when I was 14. My mother must have thought I was making it up because her idea was "to drink lemon water". Apparently cramps are caused by water, in her mind.

Be that as it may, I was diagnosed with an oral cancer when I was 16. When they removed the cancer, I was rx'd Percocet. I would take 2 to knock out the pain from surgery. I realized, by a stroke of luck, that I was almost pain-free when I cycled. So, I stopped taking the Percocet for surgery recovery and saved it for cramps.

6 months later, I had my 4 wisdom teeth removed. And suffered through the pain, so I could save the Percocet for cramps.

At 18, I was diagnosed with cystic ovaries and endometriosis (turns out, doesn't respond so well to "lemon water"--who knew? :Furious:).

Finally!!!! At 22, I was put on Depo-Provera which stopped my cycles altogether. It has been the biggest blessing, beyond the risks, to date. So, until further notice, Depo is the most awesomest birth control IMPO.

I am with you would have the worst cramps now I have the Mirana(spelling) and I love it, had it for 3 years. no more cycles for me and it has no side effects!:ThumbsUp:

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I had really bad cramps starting at 12- ugh! It got much better when I started taking birth control pills. I used to take pain meds- naprosyn- because I used to faint!

Back