Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Surprise Gotcha day! Having some introduction issues

KitKat121

Lairian
So my mum and I found a pure white two year old female for immediate adoption and we couldn't refuse! The owner wanted her as a breeding cat but the cat refused to breed. Even though we've only had her a few hours (we haven't named her yet) She doesn't seem to like Grimley (a boy) . I don't blame her, though. Grimley keeps biting her and swatting at her and it's difficult to tell if he doesn't like her or vice versa but the pair aren't getting along. We haven't spayed her yet, is that why she isn't trying to make friends? Any ideas as to why and how to get them used to each other will be greatly appreciated!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Congrats! Here is some great info on slowly introducing a new baby to your home. It can take a lot of patience and within 2 weeks things should calm down. Just don't rush it. Also be sure to get a wellness checkup for your newcomer! Do you have a pic of her to share with us? Introducing a new adult sphynx cat or sphynx kitten into the home

Patti

Last edited:

KitKat121

Lairian
@Catzzzmeow here's the best I have...haven't had many chances to take good pictures. I will take her to the Vet as soon as possible! I introduced them right away by mistake...I'm afraid I messed up. Hopefully they will get used to each other soon, I just figured since she came from a loving home with other Sphynx it would be different

Attachments

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@KitKat121 congratulations on the new female. I hope this situation gets settled quickly so you can enjoy them playing together and being best buddies.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@KitKat121 oh, she is gorgeous. What names are you thinking of for her? Did she have a name at that breeder's house?

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@KitKat121 She is a beauty. Don't worry about mistakes...some act like they have known each other for years, others it takes time to trust. Swapping scents and rooms can help ease the stress. Trust your gut and separate if you now feel best to not stress them. We see many stress going to forever homes and they can develop upper respiratory infections and L-lysine is a great supplement to help here is some info Sphynx with Feline Herpes and L-Lysine

Keep the pics coming and enjoy the journey.

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@KitKat121 , Happy Gotcha! She is a adorable :)
Looking forward to the name you chose, pics amd stories!

I have a few adoptees- remember there are no mistakes - just adjusting to their new world together -
Some get along right away , others take more time .
I always encourage a vet wellness check as soon as you can - gets a good baseline amd relationship with vet amd new kitty :)
The link mentioned
Introducing a new adult sphynx cat or sphynx kitten into the home

Has good "similar links" to check out when you scroll to the bottom of the page

You and your mom can ask about spaying and Be sure to confirm they do not use Ketamine anesthesia bcz of its rebound effect it can have on the heart . I always ask if they use ISO" Isoflurane anesthesia instead.
I recall Grimely got neutered?

I go slow and at their comfort level -
I keep separated , cross scent towels( put by each other's food dishes for positive reinforcement and swap each others bed and toys etc with a treat next to it .

playing under a door with each other with a toy on either side can help too
For my one , I actually took a baby gate secured in the longest opening and put it up holding it in the "safe room " doorway tossing a couple of treats on each side ( not too many though :) ) so they could look at each other supervised
Building up to swapping rooms free roaming alone helped mine too

I build up to free roaming together and have treats and two "Dabird " or like pole toys to play simultaneously as a distraction- again at their comfort level -

I am excited for you an your mom! congrats!
Thank you for opening your heart and home to this sweetie!

Hope you share more pics amd stories
Keep us updated amd give Grimley and your girl head smooches from me

Last edited:

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Congrats. Try a feliway plug in or spray. Always helps me out. It will take time and it has been a month at my house with the new boy. Things aren't perfect yet but much better. Be patient.

KitKat121

Lairian
@GoldHazel Ghoula (gool lah) it's the female version of a ghost or ghoul. Because she's so white/ pink! I know it's odd but so are Sphynx :love:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Congratulations! She is gorgeous. Great advice already given so I only chimed in to welcome this beauty at sphynxlair.

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
She's adorable, love her eye colour! You've gotten great advice, would only chirp in with the same, just take it slow, and I bet it will sort itself out.

Good luck!

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
What a beauty! Ghoula is such a cute name, and so unique!!
I know at first it can be a bit stressful, but I am sure with time, and the tips you've gotten on here, they will be friends!
Just be sure to give both love and time and playtime, and they will come around!
Congrats on your new addition!

KitKat121

Lairian
Grimley just swats at her and bites her...doesn't respond to discipline either. I'm just hoping this isn't because he doesn't like her and that it'll sort itself out soon.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@KitKat121 , Awh... I did go slow with my intros - it was actually 10 days before I let them meet -
We see some get along faster than others - kinda like the first day of school - later on the best of friends :)
It's a whole new world for both of them - not sure if she is in her her heat cycle Yet? Something to talk with your vet.
Kitties and hormones can have an affect too.

I did a vet check , boosted up L-lysine to both , and made A "safe room"
I actually put the cat tree liter box ( where one is kept permanent to reinforce good potty habits )
Food dishes cat beds in the spare bathroom

Then did the mutual play with them under the door amd treats
Building up to sniffing through thr door I held partially open - etc

Some just take more time - I was always amazed with some members gotchas that curl up together right away -
Mine were the ones I had to step bald and go a wee bit slower -
Now they are bed hogs all together !
Just keep going st their comfort level -
(I also add an extra litter box - at least one additional box than number of kitties )
Be sure to give each separate loving cuddle time during the adjusting -
I kept the cross scented towel with me while separate cuddle time too

Give it time - usually I saw results after 10 days with my adoptees
(((Hugs ))) and head kisses!Looking forward to locks amd good news updates!