Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

*Susi* +canned pumpkin

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Thats crazy:Dizzy: who would have thought. I give can pumkin to our dog everyday and I get it at shoprite or walmart and have no problem.
I could send you some but it is so heavy shipping would probably be crazy.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
*ilovemysphynx* Awe, that's so sweet of you :) i appreciate the offer. I'll find some online i'm sure.. or hopefully on the bottom shelf all the way in the back at a store lol. i'm not too shameful to crawl on all four and reach far back for my kitties!!

They haven't had any for a few weeks, and keep jumping on the kitchen table crying everytime someone goes into the kitchen :Laugh: oops, guess they're a little spoiled. Note: every surface is free game in my house :) my babies eat on the kitchen table- hey no one else really uses it LOL

susi794

Staff member
Hey Susi,
We spoke briefly the other day about canned pumpkin. After searching, yet again at the store i decided to do some internet searching. thought i would order some off the internet, but i keep running into sites that say "out of stock". After further searching i came across an article saying there is a canned pumpkin storage!!! Can you even believe it!

Canned Pumpkin Shortage Sparks Holiday Fears: Libby's Confirms 2008 Crop Created Tight Supply Entering 2009 Season

I figured as much....who'd a thunk pumpkin would be that tough to find.
You're right, ilovemysphynx--it's so heavy it would most likely be crazy to send it by mail. We're going to explore the yoghurt thing here for a bit until we can find the pumpkin.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
*ilovemysphynx* Awe, that's so sweet of you :) i appreciate the offer. I'll find some online i'm sure.. or hopefully on the bottom shelf all the way in the back at a store lol. i'm not too shameful to crawl on all four and reach far back for my kitties!!

They haven't had any for a few weeks, and keep jumping on the kitchen table crying everytime someone goes into the kitchen :Laugh: oops, guess they're a little spoiled. Note: every surface is free game in my house :) my babies eat on the kitchen table- hey no one else really uses it LOL

I send my kids to the floor in the store they keep they pumpkin on the bottom :Sweat:

Ours walk all over the tables and counters to. oh well its their house too.

holly_savage

Banned
Since it is spring time, you should plant some pumpkin plants. They aren't that hard to grow, then you could cook and can them and have an endless back-up supply!

Hmmm....I wonder if one could grow pumpkins, slice them up, dehydrate them and them ship them out???? Would that work?
It would be much lighter for shipping and I don't think it should alter the taste all that much.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Awe Holly that is a very sweet offer. I think they'll be ok though. It really it just a treat. of course it helps their bellies, but they're ok without it, ya know? I'll keep searching online and order a case. The cost of shipping doesn't really bother me, just as long as my babies have what they want! My step kids only come on the weekends, so during the week Bea, Bronxe and Valerie (bully) are my babies :) (well they always are, but ya know what i mean)

nativekiwi

Lairian
Canned pumpkin? are you serious? thats so weird. Like in a tin can? cooked? and the cats like it????I have never ever heard of canned pumpkin.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yep, just plain canned pumpkin. Once i bought pie filler, on accident.. that's what you get for rushing through the grocery store and my cats COMPLETTELY turned their nose up to it!!! they wouldn't even touch it! haha. (probably best though!)

You can find the canned pumpkin in the baking aisle of the grocery store, near the pie fillers.

What are your guys's thought on sweet potatos? do you think it may be a similiar affect? im tempted to try it?..........

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, just plain canned pumpkin. Once i bought pie filler, on accident.. that's what you get for rushing through the grocery store and my cats COMPLETTELY turned their nose up to it!!! they wouldn't even touch it! haha. (probably best though!)

You can find the canned pumpkin in the baking aisle of the grocery store, near the pie fillers.

What are your guys's thought on sweet potatos? do you think it may be a similiar affect? im tempted to try it?..........

Never thought of it if you try let us know.:Wink: I think our dog is sick of pumpkin:Laugh:

susi794

Staff member
Well, I know of several foods that use sweet potatoes as an ingredient--and I know sweet potato pie tastes just like pumpkin pie--so don't know if it would work the same way or not. Let us know if you try it.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Susi, you're right about the pies tasting similiar.. which is why i thought of it. and recently Bea's skin as been very rough. i think i'm gonna try it.

susi794

Staff member
I left out the PET in the several foods that use it--several pet foods use sweet potatoes instead of grain. Let me know how it works and how you prepared it for adding to the food--just plan to boil or bake it?

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't prepare my pumpkin anyway. so naturally, i would do the same with the sweet potato filling. Usually, i open a can, scoop a few tablespoons out (usually 1 1/2 per kitty) on a plate/bowl for each kitty. then put the rest of the can in a tupperware bowl in the fridge.

Do you prepare your pumpkin?? how/what do you do? i've never really heard of anyone preparing their canned pumpkin, but then again, other then myself, i have never heard of anyone feeding their animal pumpkin.

susi794

Staff member
What kind of sweet potato are you going to feed then? There is no canned sweet potato unless it comes in heavy syrup is there? I thought you meant you were going to process the raw kind.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
oh haha :) no it wont be fresh sweet potato. it'll be canned sweet potato. i've recently seen it in the baking area. usually it's in the same location as the pumpkin was. as if the store replaced one with the other. it seems like something you'd fix up for a pie, it's im a large can.
i haven't looked a whole lot into actually feeding it to them. i need to grab a can and see. obviously i wouldn't feed it to them if it was full of syrup - eww :(
I'm ASSUMING it'll be similiar to canned pumpkin. but again, i don't know. i've never actually bought/used it. (although when you assume you make an a** out of you and me lol)

susi794

Staff member
I've never seen it in the baking aisle--doesn't mean it's not there though. Am really interested now...please keep me posted.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
i'll post about it. i'm gonna try to get to the store this weekend. Would you believe we live in the city but the nearest walmart is 25 mins away! lol. my next trip to any store, i will purchase some and see how everyone likes it. we need to do something! if not i'm ordered a case, i already told Fiance' lol :) oooh the things we do for our babies :)

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So i bought some canned sweet potato .. i only tried one store. This store in particular only had sweet potato pie filling. which obviously isn't good with all the sugers. but my Bea's skin is really irritated and thought "what the heck" and laid it out. no one tried it (secretly thanking God)... so i will try another store to see if they have pure sweet potato opposed to pie blend.

If all else fails, by mid-week i'm ordering canned pumpkin. Libby seems to be the company most effected by the pumpkin shortage. it's also the company who supplies most stores around me. :( bummer.

my search continues! :)

Back