Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

sweater thoughts (pics included)

dragynflye

Lairian
i was going to knit up some sweaters for kimo. i finished my first one, based off a dog sweater pattern, and in all honesty, i don't really care for it. i'm going to start working on a pattern of my own, but since i don't have a kitty yet, i'm pretty much guessing on everything. so i'm looking to experienced sphynx owners for some ideas. tell me what you look for in a sweater for your kitty- what you like and don't like. how do you find dog sweaters fit your cat? too short? arm holes too high? too low? neck too small or big? ect. what about kitty proportions? looking at pics, it looks like a longer, skinnier sweater might fit better. also, most dog sweaters seem to be shorter on the belly than the back. since cat bit are in different places than dog bits, do you find this to be necessary?

and, as promised, a couple pics.

here's my first sweater. it's knit in organic, hand-dyed wool left over from a previous project. it took about three hours, give or take. it's also WAY too big, and might fit him when he's full grown!
4363128868_d4ac34d56e_o.jpg

4362386739_d60a372538_o.jpg

and here are the newest pics of 6week old kimo kawaii!
4362397441_56e7e9d37a_o.jpg

4362397461_8f66a8c43f_o.jpg

Funnaturechic

Lairian
He's adorable! I am knitting sweaters too! I am new on this site..and just adopted an adult boy yesterday! He's wonderful. I hope to advertise for knitting and was told that I would need to request that on this site and pay a fee. I think that's a good thing. :)

Sending smiles and will post pics soon! :)
His Royal Highness requested a thorough ear cleaning, and bath before photos...and appropriate clothing. His old rags are just not photogenic! :)

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Your sweaters look really nice!! And little Kimo is just darling! When do you get him home?? Can't wait to hear more about the sweaters and Kimo.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Looks like that sweater will look lovely on him! Just you wait untill he has tried it on, bet you will love it then, he will look so cute in it. He looks very sweet.

susi794

Staff member
Awwww, Kim0 ! What a little doll baby! Who could not fall in love with that little face--I am sorta partial to the pinkies. The sweater looks great! What aren't you happy with about it?

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think you did a wonderful job on the sweater! I really love it.

The biggest thing for me for clothing Sophie is big enough arm holes. She is uncomfortable with anything to tight on her arms and prefers sleeveless. Her skin gets dry above her elbows if the shirt touches it too much.

Kimo is Adorable!!!!

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Kimo is looking so cute!!! The sweater looks nice to me. Length is our issue...if it fits right around the neck it is usually too short for the long sphynx body.

Welcome to Funnaturechick!!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
You did an excellent job Dragnfly!!! I don't knit but I do make some of Snuffie's clothes. But I usually just make sure the length is good. Lots of store bought dog sweaters are often too short for the Sphynx body. May I ask where you found dog patterns? I can't find a one and I would like to find some so I can alter them to what I want. PM me. Thanks!!!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think the sweater is nice! You should wait till your kitten is that size before deciding it doesnt work. Nofuratu has a huge amount of sweaters and I find the following criteria makes him happy:
small neck hole, most dog clothes have huge neck holes
No sleeves. Tanks let them move around more and dont get too tight
Long body so that it goes down to the butt
Pot Belly room, instead of a long tube sweater for a daschund, Sphynx grow up to be more Bell shaped so the belly area of the sweater needs to be wider or stretchable. I made a few long Tshirts on the sewing machine and didnt make the bottom wide enough for his pot belly!
Button hole near the shoulder blades if you going to travel with your kitty...its easier to wear a harness UNDER a sweater and just clip the leash to the harness through the buttonhole.
It is REALLY IMPORTANT that clothes dont pinch or get too tight under the arm pits or elbow area, and clothes with sleeves have that danger.
I had Nofuratu in a t shirt with short sleeves while we were travelling, and he was too sleepy to bring into a store with us so we left him in the car in his travel bag napping.....when we got back his left leg had swollen to twice its normal size and his foot was like a club from his circulation being cut off! I was mortified! His shirt must have been a bit tight by the chest armpit area, and combined with the angle he was sleeping it cut off the blood flow, and he didnt notice being fast asleep. We took the t shirt off and got him walking around and the swelling was gone within a half hour but I was a wreck! LOL
Now we only buy sleeveless clothing and go for stretchier fabric that will move with his different sleeping positions. I also dont let him wear clothes if he is going to be unsupervised.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sweater is lovely and Kimo is just getting gorgeouser (if that's even a word :Dizzy:)!!!

Well done with the knitting, it's better than I could ever do!

X

wundrlust

Lairian
That's a precious baby! I'm concerned about putting sweaters on my Nude Boys. They are fully clawed. Even though I keep their nails clipped I worry about them getting caught on the sweater. They have sweatshirts and fleece which have been use friendly. They prefer to be naked but I do make them wear their shirts after baths and when we go out.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I put Snuffie in wool and knit sweaters all the time. She never gets a claw hung up on them. She is fully clawed and I keep them clipped as well.

dragynflye

Lairian
woo hoo! thanks for your input, y'all, it really helps!

so, longer, loose arms, extra room for the belly, smaller neck.... we'll see what i can come up with!

and thanks for the comments on my little kimo. i love him so much already! the breeder usually sends me new pics thursday or friday, and i spend the whole week looking forward to them!

susi794

Staff member
Well he's certainly a little charmer!!! When will he get to come home to you? He still looks fairly wee.

Back