Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sweaters

KyasMommy

Lairian
We keep our house kind of cool. Should we put sweaters on our Sphynx kitty? How many do it? Any skin problems result from them wearing sweaters?

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We keep our house kind of cool. Should we put sweaters on our Sphynx kitty? How many do it? Any skin problems result from them wearing sweaters?

I don't, I'm just not a cat in sweater type person. We keep our house reasonably warm and I always go by the theory that if I'm cool they must be cold.

There may be some allergy issues with sweaters but that would be more to do with the washing liquid than the sweater itself, I would think.

beeblebrox

Lairian
Take a tube sock, cut the foot part out and make 2 holes at the top for the kitty arms :)

If it's a larger cat you need to keep warm... then you can use toddler leggings. Target always has cute ones that work great :)))

Dez

LLevenson

Lairian
Arias hates wearing any sort of clothing, so I just make sure that he has plenty of warm blankets around. He spends most of the day in a bed that I positioned in a sunny window, or he will dig himself under a blanket if he gets chilly. In the cooler months, I will fill a hot water bottle and leave it in one of his beds (heating pads kinda scare me, even the pet-safe ones). I put the bottle under a blanket and he sits on it! and I feel comfortable knowing it's not going to go haywire and get any hotter!

I would just try a sweater/shirt on Kya and see if she likes it/tolerates it and if she does, have fun shopping :ThumbsUp:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Piglet loves wearing her little sweaters and she hasn't had any problems from wearing them. I make sure that she only wears the best cotton or wool sweaters, though; no synthetic materials. There used to be an SL member who custom-knitted the cutest sweaters for our kitties, but she is no longer a member here. There was also a lady in Moscow who knitted the most beautiful designer sweaters for sphynx, but I haven't seen her around in a long time either.

JacksMom

Banned
I, too, keep my house cool, because I get hot VERY easily. So, just in case it was too cool for Jack, I put a cotton t-shirt on him and he wears it with no problem (now he has like 6!), and I bought him 2 sweaters on eBay and tried them on him and he doesn't mind them at all; I just make sure it's nothing too bulky, nothing I wouldn't myself find comfortable to wear, and make sure the fit it good, because if it's a little to large and hangs to low, then he walks funny. I only got him t-shirts because his ear tips and tail tip was cool, and so I thought a shirt would help him keep in his body heat. It sure worked and Jack NEVER minded for a minute! I saw crazy youtube videos of cats trying to get used to their shirts. Jack....well, he took to shirts right away! It's actually been kinda fun wardrobe shopping for him!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I'm a total "put my cat in clothes" type person!! lol I let them run naked in the summers, but in the winters I've never been forntuate enough to not have a drafty house so I keep fleece blankets about the house and they wear sweaters as well.
If your kitty has never worn clothes it will take a little while for them to get used to it once you put them in something. Snuffie hasn't worn anything all summer so I have to start getting her used to clothes here again soon and SoBe has NEVER worn anything and has hated the few things I've tried on her,,she defintley has some adjustments coming soon.

Inferno12

Banned
I keep my house cool too so I try to keep Johnny in a cotton shirt in the summer and Sweaters during the winter. Johnny was raised in clothes so he doesnt mind at all.

I have been putting shirts on Diego and he seems to be a low rider when he walks but other than that he doesnt mind so Im hoping that he gets used to them.

I have never had a problem with them irritating his skin

firehillqueen

Banned
My kitties wear tee shirts in the house unless its high summer and they are on the porch. It helps keep them and everything else clean. In the winter they wear their sweaters, especially when we go out. We found our sweaters here in the Sphynx Lair. They are hand knit by the Russian lady who has Pretty Kitties ( I think its the name of her business) Cadeau, Ceil and Chimere' all like soft blankets laying around on the chairs and couchs for them to cuddle under.

Hairlesslove

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We keep our house cool too since it's so hot outside here in FL. Mickey loves wearing t-shirts and warm sweaters in winter time!:ThumbsUp:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
SoBe decided she likes to wear a shirt today!!!!

Just dont give up - if your kitty fusses for a few hours its no biggie...they will forget they even had it on after their nap!! lol:ThumbsUp:

Attachments

• sobenfoot.jpg
    sobenfoot.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 19