Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sweets

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So rumor has it cats can't taste sweet... So Gulliver's favorite things to try and steal from me are sweets, yogurt, cookie dough etc... Another point to prove a sphynx really isn't just a cat :ThumbsUp:

Do yours like sweets too????

p.s I spelled the title wrong :(

Last edited:

PitRottMommy

Banned
So rumor has it cats can't taste sweet... So Gulliver's favorite things to try and steal from me are sweets, yogurt, cookie dough etc... Another point to prove a sphynx really isn't just a cat :ThumbsUp:

Do yours like sweets too????

p.s I spelled the title wrong :(

I would highly advise against giving any sweet product to cats. There are many products on the market that are toxic to cats, xylitol being one of them...which is often present in each of the products you mentioned that your cat likes to "steal" from you. The amount of xylitol present in even a stick of gum, a cookie, a 1/2" stripe of toothpaste, etc...it is enough to kill a cat. It's concerning enough that I don't even permit foods, gums, toothpastes, etc to even be IN my household around my cats.

PLEASE be cautious about what you allow your companion to consume. I cannot tell you how horrible this problem is getting in veterinary medicine because owners aren't keenly aware of what is or isn't safe for their pets when they share food. Sugars and sugar substitutes are not safe.

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ya no sugar substitutes are in this home... Just the real stuff, and I do my best to keep it away from Gulliver... The other hairy cats could care less about sweets :BigSmile:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Fortunately none of my cats, including Piglet, care for sweets, so I don't have to worry about them getting into something they shouldn't be eating. I appreciate what PitRottMommy had to say about giving animals sweets; all of us need to be extra-careful about the people foods we give our animals.

myspecialboy

Lairian
Chadwick would eat anything as long as it looked like I was going to eat it. I could put a plate of poop on my table and hold a fork and he would run up and try to steal it!!!
Chadwick is not allowed to have "people food" no matter how hard he tries (except the occassional bit of chicken, but even that's rare). I am too afraid he will get sick from something and I couldn't imagine anything happening to my baby. There is so much that cats react to and I never remember all of them, so he's cut off, just to be safe!

PitRottMommy

Banned
Ya no sugar substitutes are in this home... Just the real stuff, and I do my best to keep it away from Gulliver... The other hairy cats could care less about sweets :BigSmile:

More than 65% of common-brand food companies are switching over to using sugar substitutes. The FDA does NOT require that the packaging state that there's been a change from sugar to sugar substitute (only the other way around, so as to protect those Americans who must monitor their sugar intake, artificial and non-absorbable sugars don't cause a spike in BG like sugar does). So, unless you're actually reading the package to be 100% certain (and this includes your toothpaste), the risk remains.

Here are a few names to get you guys started off with, because many people don't realize there are LOTS of them: Acesulfame-potassium, Aspartame, Neotame, Saccharin, Sodium saccharin, Rebaudioside, Sucralose, Xylitol, Malitol, Sorbitol, Lactulose, etc.

Danger goes by many different names.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sophie does try to get at my food. I usually feed her when I'm about to eat to get her away. She does try to eat ice cream!

Elisabet

Lairian
There is an article hanging in the waiting-room at my vet.
It tells that chocolate is pure poison to cats and dogs. So I hide the chocolate far away.
Not that any of the cats have shown any interest. But still...

Back