Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Switching from dry food to freeze-dried raw?

Hi everyone,

I’ve had little Violet home for 17 days now. Wowza!! She makes me so happy, life is so much better with her around. When I brought her home, I was feeding Orijen kibble and raw twice a day at recommendation of her breeder. She was having diarrhea, and thanks to the suggestions from the lair, I stopped feeding her both and have just been feeding Orijen. No more diarrhea, but her poop is still pretty soft and super smelly. She also lets killer farts out like no other!! I’ve heard from some people here that Orijen can be too rich, so I’m wanting to switch to freeze-dried raw. From what I’ve looked at, I’m wanting to do Stella and Chewey’s, as it’s easy for me to get from multiple places nearby and there seems to be lots of variety in flavours. I want to give her the most nutritious food possible and it seems like freeze dried is second best to raw.

So my question is, if I switch her to S&C starting tomorrow, is that too soon since she’s come home?? She is so confident and clever, and she seems to be very happy and settled in with me now. I don’t want to stress her out by changing food too quickly though. Should I wait until it’s been a month or so? Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!! :D

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She should be fine on it. Make sure to add enough hot water to the freeze dried so that it is nice and wet. If she balks at it, you can always give her a few of her kibbles crushed up on top to make it smell better.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Stella and chewy is what I fed Astrid to get her to eat wet food, but she had a bad reaction to something in it and had bumps all over her. It wasn’t to chicken since she eats the Chicken and cheese Fromm kibble now.
Just to give you a heads up if she gets a wear allergic reaction. It didn’t matter what meat I picked.
Though my parents feed it to their puppy and he loves it.
and switch food slowly, they have very sensitive tummies. So like start with a few chunks for a few days then go up to what she’s supposed to eat over the course of a few weeks

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Maddie , checking in on Astrid :) which Stella dos dhe have a reaction to?

Which Fromm flavor ? Has she tried the Fromm wet ? My one enjoys Fromm gambled but lookimg for other palatable options
I was thinking of Stella duck duck goose simce the pup loved it
Amd now mine are refusing to eat their regular wet food

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She reacted to chicken, rabbit, turkey and duck.
She eats the chicken and cheese one. It’s jext to impossible to get up here though lol like the brand. Never seen wet.

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If you don't have luck with S&C, you should check out a brand of kibble called Rawz. It's pretty good. My sphynx, who tolerated nothing but real raw, was able to eat this kibble without tummy/poop troubles.

Good luck! Getting things just right can be so tricky!