Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Swollen Ear...

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hey guys...

My friend has a half sphynx / half siamese cat named Monkey (you can see why we are friends..haha). She came home today and Monkey's ear is swollen. She doesn't see any visibal scratch or bite marks, but you can see that the ear is real swollen.

Anyone have any thoughts on what might cause this?

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Here is some additional info:

I think it's bothering her. She meow every time we touch it and tries to move away. It's not warm. I can't see how she could have gotten it. There's no injury by her ear or anywhere on her.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@PrimateLove, it could be caused by shaking her head. Is there something in the ear that could be causing her to shake her head maybe (like dirt or an itch or an infection inside the ear)? It would be a broken vessel.

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@PrimateLove, it could be caused by shaking her head. Is there something in the ear that could be causing her to shake her head maybe (like dirt or an itch or an infection inside the ear)? It would be a broken vessel.
Thanks so much, she said she's not shaking or anything so I told her to get the baby to the vet :(

This is one of the babies I helped rescue from Emma's previous owner :(

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@PrimateLove, it's a build up of blood and fluid and the discomfort should go away in days, but the swelling may stay and turn hard to the touch. I had two dogs that had this on one ear (each dog).

Monkey could have scratched her ear or shook her head and in seconds the swelling will appear. It could be from ear mites or just something bothering her in the ear to make her shake her head or scratch it.

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@PrimateLove, it's a build up of blood and fluid and the discomfort should go away in days, but the swelling may stay and turn hard to the touch. I had two dogs that had this on one ear (each dog).

Monkey could have scratched her ear or shook her head and in seconds the swelling will appear. It could be from ear mites or just something bothering her in the ear to make her shake her head or scratch it.
Thanks so much @GoldHazel, I shared this info with her and she is going to keep an eye on it. She will take her to the vet if the swelling doesn't go down.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@PrimateLove, since you mentioned that it's not hot to the touch, I would think it's not an abcess. If taken to a vet sooner than later, a hematoma can be incised and drained by a vet with stitches afterwards, but it's really not necessary and some vets won't even bother doing it. Either way, there will be some sort of scar left from stitches or the hardened scar tissue eventually from the hematoma.

ElvirasMum

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@PrimateLove if your friend wants to try to see if a "draw" will work to pull infection out, have them mound up salt on a wash rag, microwave it at 30 second intervals until the salt is hot to the touch, wrap the salt up in the wash rag, put a rubber band around the edges so the salt doesn't escape, and see if Monkey will tolerate having the warmed salt held against the ear???

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My furry Gary had this last year. It never seemed to really bother him so I was waiting to take him to the vet until he was due for his shots and yearly exam. By then it had turned hard, like @GoldHazel said. The vet suggested he may have injured it by hitting against something while shaking his head and caused a hematoma inside. The blood then hardened and now he has a hard lump on his ear forever. It doesnt bother him at all.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@PrimateLove if your friend wants to try to see if a "draw" will work to pull infection out, have them mound up salt on a wash rag, microwave it at 30 second intervals until the salt is hot to the touch, wrap the salt up in the wash rag, put a rubber band around the edges so the salt doesn't escape, and see if Monkey will tolerate having the warmed salt held against the ear???
Sara, that remedy works great for ear infections. I always used Reynold's Wrap in the oven with the salt. Once heated enough, I wrapped the Reynold's Wrap up with the salt in it (so the salt didn't leak out) and then put a washcloth around that with a rubber band. But, I don't think @PrimateLove's friend's cat Monkey has an ear infection. I think it's a hematoma and the ear will stay lumpy and hard if not drained right away. If the cat isn't going to be in a show, it's really not a problem. It won't bother Monkey in a few days. It's just tender right now.

MisoLina24

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Looks like an Ear Hematoma. When a vessel blows in the ear. Sometimes shaking or scratching causes it, or even something simple like minor trauma. I know there is a way to surgically get it fixed but most people just let them heal on their own and they get a mild to severe cauliflower ear where it shrivels up a bit. Not sure that is what this baby has but that's what it looks like to me. I hope it's nothing serious.

Kym

Lairian
A
Hey guys...

My friend has a half sphynx / half siamese cat named Monkey (you can see why we are friends..haha). She came home today and Monkey's ear is swollen. She doesn't see any visibal scratch or bite marks, but you can see that the ear is real swollen.

Anyone have any thoughts on what might cause this?

It's likely a hematoma. Your friend needs to take him to the vet and they'll drain it, and then he'll be back to normal.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Monkey went to the vet and she has an ear infection that caused her to shake her head and get a hematoma. They drained it and have her meds to help with the infection and pain.

She is doing much better! Thanks so much everyone for your help :)
Yep, the shaken head swollen ear result! Monkey is on the way to feeling better now. :)