Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Swollen nipples?

Allynoelx3

Lairian
Hi all,

I have a question! Persephone is 5 months on July 28th. I’ve had her for a month now, and I noticed that her nipples are all slightly raised and swollen.

It’s impossible that she could be pregnant, that I know of. Is it possible that she could be going into heat? Is this a symptom? I heard from someone else she could just be fat, but she’s on target with her weight for her age.

Any insights?

Lots of love ❤️ I also added a pic of her today enjoying the fresh air :)
0A989032-1105-4FBD-83EE-A81DE8680AAE.jpeg
0A989032-1105-4FBD-83EE-A81DE8680AAE.jpeg
FAA1CEDD-502B-48D4-A5AC-61B5D781C8B2.jpeg

Allynoelx3

Lairian
We have seen other members post pics of swollen nips and they were pregnant ..
Any chance she mated ? Best way to determine is a vet check

Tagging @momdeeze

Hugs n head smooches , keep us updated

Well, I don’t have any other cats and yesterday was the first day I took her for a walk outside, but she hasn’t had any contact with male cats. I supposed she could have came in contact with one at the breeder but she would have only been around 14 weeks maximum. So that would be bizarre!

I will make a vets appointment to be safe.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Allynoelx3 hugs n head smooches
Let us know what her vet says

I always confirm and have them mark vet charts “No Ketamine “.
I ask what they use ... many use propofol and Isoflurane .
If you are planning to spay I learned from the lair to also ask if it is an abdominal spay incision or flank incision . Apparently it’s at their discretion . Some even do laser spay now .
If you decide to microchip , during spay is a good time .

Could very well be hormonal

Following closely for updates!
Hugs n head smooches !

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Considering her age, I’d say she’s experiencing her first heat. A preggo mama would appear similar, but with very pink & swollen nipples. Others have given great advice on spaying! The vet can spay during her heat, so no worries.

I'm sure you may know by now, but a cat in heat is not discrete about it by any means. The heat can last from a couple weeks to a few months, & reoccur often. They’re especially longer/more frequent in the warmer months & can be miserable for both her & her owners. Make sure to keep her away from any male cats! If she gets particularly “heated,” you can use Acupressure methods to give her some temporary relief until she’s spayed.

Allynoelx3

Lairian
Hi all!

The vet seems to think it’s just fat lol.. although she’s on target for a normal weight at 5lbs. We did some tests and all was normal except her liver test, which was very slightly elevated.

The vet says it could be because of her age and the fact that she’s still growing, and we will retest in 6 Months.

Unfortunately we are still battling soft stools and the dreaded poop foot more often than I’d like. Her fecal tests were ok, but the vet gave us a medication called panacur which is supposed to proactively get rid of any worms or giardia that could be causing the loose stools. We also got a probiotic.

That’s an update on my girl! Sending lots of love :)

ABFD5C81-4D15-4F0B-95AE-0C4FF43E495F.jpeg

Back