Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Tail kink / bent tail on tip genetic

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Just wondering how many sphynx on the forum have a kinked tail ? That is the tail bones aren't straight particularly at the tip - post pics too please !

Trauma and injury ruled out by vet .....

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
image.jpg

Has anyone seen this? Tail pic.

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yep been examined by vet many time he said he's seen it before and it's genetic and presents around this age when the tail grows.

Gryffindor

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Our Weasley had a kinked tail tip like that since we got him. I thought of it as something that set him apart from the rest, lol. I asked my breeder about it and he wasn't sure if it was from trauma or not. Gryff and Draco have perfectly straight tails and they're from the same parents.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@pussiette , my bengal ^Bailey^ had a kinked tail- he lived a long happy life with no complications ..
It made him unique and easy to tell apart in the dark under the covers :)
((Hugs))

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Marcus, along with all of his siblings developed a kinked tail tip when they were about 11 weeks old. Both the breeder's vet and our vet thought it might be either genetic or due to trauma. We were told that it might straighten out, or not as he grows. So far, no change...
image.jpg

It isn't as drastic as @pussiette's picture, but there is a definite kink.

DrKimber

Lairian
Just wondering how many sphynx on the forum have a kinked tail ? That is the tail bones aren't straight particularly at the tip - post pics too please !

Trauma and injury ruled out by vet .....

I noticed the day I brought him home that Monty has a similar issue with the last bone in his tail. Not as noticeable, but it certainly feels out of place. Will have to follow up with his vet to see if trauma related.
image.jpg

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh thank goodness that there are other KINKY tailed babies onboard here!!!! (((((Hugs))))). It's only really appeared the last few weeks and it feels like a hard bony bump like the bone hasn't caught up to growing with the meat of the tailtip does that make sense? She moves her tail normally and when she is happy she wags it!

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I noticed the day I brought him home that Monty has a similar issue with the last bone in his tail. Not as noticeable, but it certainly feels out of place. Will have to follow up with his vet to see if trauma related. View attachment 50064
This seems like mine how old was he when it happened and does it feel like the bone hasn't caught up to the tip? @DrKimber

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Zoa has a kink in hers... Except she CAN hold it straight but doesn't. It feels normal from what I can tell. She just holds it in a sort of L shape about 3 inches from the end. This showed up at about 5 months old for no apparent reason.
20140601_162917.jpg

20140601_162928.jpg

DrKimber

Lairian
This seems like mine how old was he when it happened and does it feel like the bone hasn't caught up to the tip? @DrKimber

@pussiette I recently just got Monty from the breeder this past Saturday. He's a little over 14 weeks old now. I didn't get around to asking the breeder if she knew exactly when this started to occur.

Anyway, I did a quick & dirty google search and found in several resources that kinked tails are genetic and can show up at any point, but usually in the early growth period. (See link below-info on tail kinks found toward lower part of web page)

http://pawpeds.com/pawacademy/genetics/genetics/index_print.html

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Curly has a kink in her tail. A friend accidentally closed the pantry door on it when she was a kitten. Fuzzy broke his tail about two inches from the base of his tail. It took a few weeks but it perked back upright.

Yoda mom

Staff member
I joke and say Batman's tail was put on backwards at the Sphynx factory :)

When he walks, he holds his tail bent like an upside down "u" walking monkey look ..
and the other kitties walk with theirs in a up curved position.

We should nickname him "George" as in curious george monkey!

Do your kinked or bent tailed kitties carry their tails upside down too? Just curious :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 42

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I joke and say Batman's tail was put on backwards at the Sphynx factory :)

When he walks, he holds his tail bent like an upside down "u" walking monkey look ..
and the other kitties walk with theirs in a up curved position.

We should nickname him "George" as in curious george monkey!

Do your kinked or bent tailed kitties carry their tails upside down too? Just curious :)
Yes sometimes !!

Back