Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Tail of our precious missy named Sabrina

AnetteMR

Lairian
Hey everyone!
One day me and my boyfriend decided to adopt a 3-year old sphynx girl named Sabrina. The previous owner told us that she had been in labor about 5 times(in a row, as we later found out). So, she had used Sabrina for money. Also, she promised us her with papers(which ofcourse she didn't give us but that's not the point).
All was well, she fit in perfectly with us. But few weeks later we noticed that her belly was getting bigger and bigger - that was when we realized that the woman that from whom we adopted her, has given us a pregnant cat. Why would she possibly do that? She knew that Sabrina was pregnant and last time she gave birth, most of the kittens died. And ofcourse, she didn't tell us that...
About 3 weeks ago, when my boyfriend got home from work, he called me and told me that Sabrina was in labor. We both we're in shock and I couldn't do anything because I was still at work. 6 hours later, we had our Sabrina with her 7 kittens. All was well, they all started nursing and such.. All kittens seemed healthy.
2 days later, we found one kitten under Sabrina and it had died into lack of oxygen, we thought. We tried to resurrect it but there was nothing we could do. We called to the 24h vet (it was 3AM) and told what had happened and she told us to come over right away. So my boyfriend called a taxi and drove there and I stayed home to watch the kitties. Meanwhile he was away, one kitten looked like it had cramps/spasms or something like that and it was far away from the others. So I picked it up and tried to put her to her mama, until I felt that something wet dropped on my hand. I took a look, and all its excrement had come out - it had just died in my hands. I started crying again and tried to resurrect it but it was gone.
About half an hour later my boyfriend arrived home and asked if everything was okay. I just cried, shook my head and told him what had happened.
He bought the ''Royal Canin Baby Cat Milk'' and a bottle and said that the vet told us to feed them ourselves because Sabrina had nothing to offer to them herself(because of the previous labors in a row, she didn't anymore).
We started feeding them instantly and put an alarm every two hours to feed them again. In the morning, we found one kitten dead again. We we're perplexed and thinking why is this happening to us? Anyway, we only have our 1 strong kitten left who has no name yet. She's going to get all the love the other's didn't get the opportunity to see. She's our little sunshine who's ears are pricking up and who purrs and looks you in the eye with her huge eyes. :)
Name recommendations are welcome!

11714324_995447830495320_550944800_n.jpg

11696518_995447990495304_1039767717_n.jpg

11717108_995448073828629_1283855089_n.jpg

11719921_995448257161944_1370320004_n.jpg

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@AnetteMR : hello and welcome to sphynxlair for you, your boyfriend, Sabrina and baby with no name yet:)! Good to have you here.

Sorry to hear what you've been through with Sabrina and her baby's. You must have been in shock when you found out she was pregnant! And it must broke your heart to see six kittens die. They looks so tiny and cute on the pics. I have tears in my eyes knowing they didn't make it.

I'm happy to hear Sabrina has found a good home with you! And that the strong little girl is with you too. Sabrina and her daughter look so cute together on the photo.

How old is the little girl now?
She needs a name that shows she's a serviver and a little fighter. Xena maybe? But it sounds much like Sabrina.

Or Merida? From the movie Brave.

Mmm maybe others do have better suggestions.

KitKat26

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi @AnetteMR , Welcome to the Lair. Thank you for sharing your story. So sorry you had to go through all of that and I'm glad you didn't give up on her or her babies :) They are both obviously where they are meant to be, in a caring loving home. I'm happy you kept the little one, they are both beautiful. I like the name Xena as well, or Zelda :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@AnetteMR , welcome to you , your boyfriend, Sabrina and little one..
Thank you for opening up your heart n home to sweet Sabrina - she now all the love she deserves.
I am sorry the other baby kitties passed- you gave it your all and Sabrina knows and feels that love.
Your tribute photo of the babies is so heartfelt- reading your post I got teary eyed.

The picture of Sabrina snuggled with her little one is priceless.. We know you love them beyond words-
Your post says it all -

This little girl is a miracle and a fighter- I would go with a name for miracle perhaps even in a foreign language and or a strong warrior princess name -
Looking forward to your Journey pics and updates of your name for the little one-
Sabrina and baby kitty are gorgeous! ((Hugs)) for health n happiness for mum n baby :)

AnetteMR

Lairian
Hey you all! I can't thank you enough for supporting us all on our journey. I mean, how sweet of you! I surely will add some more pictures and keep you updated. :)
@Toa and Ross, thank you so much. Our little girl will be 3 weeks old on Friday :)
@KitKat26 thank you, we never even thought about giving up on them and I'm so glad to have them by our side. :)
@Yoda mom, I'm so glad that you said that you all can see that I love them beyond words, because so it is. I really really do. Couldn't imagine my life without those sweet kitties! Also, I like that miracle name idea also very much. Thank you!
I really appreciate your posts so much and can't thank you enough for the best wishes and name recommendations! Hugs!:cat:

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Hello and welcome to SphynxLair. Wow how lucky Sabrina is to have come to you for her forever home. That picture of her and her baby is just precious. I hope this little fighter continues to thrive and no doubt bring joy to your lives. Can't wait to see what you end up naming her.

Patti

JazmineJolt

Lairian
Wow, I can't imagine what you went through with all those kittens. I am heartbroken for you. I wonder if there's some way to report the breeder or if you've already tried anything. I know that's in the past, as it should be. How brave of you to fight so hard for Sabrina and her babies. So happy to see one made it. Just look at her and say names out loud, one will sound right and stick!! Good luck to your little family :)

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you. How terrible of a
so called breeder to do such a thing. They are no breeder.
They are evil people trying to make money. I'm so glad you got her.
Bless her heart, it's hard telling what she went through before you
got her. I pray for her and the baby.
I would report the so called breeder. They don't need any animals.
They will continue this until someone stops it. I'm sure you will get
her spayed asap.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello @AnetteMR and welcome to Sphynxlair! So glad you found us! Sorry to hear this story but glad it seemed to have worked out in the end. Be sure to get her spayed as soon as the vet says its ok. Please enjoy the community! (y)

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Well! What an adventure. Bottle babies are LOTS of work. I hope she continues to thrive. Well I wish you many happy years with Sabrina.

Trisha

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
What a heartbreaking story. I am so sorry you had to go through that. I'm glad to see one little kitty hung in there. How sweet to have mommy and baby ;)

AnetteMR

Lairian
Hi there, lairians!
Sorry for being gone for so long but I promised to keep you updated so here are some pictures!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Sabrina and the little one are doing very well and we are all happy. Oh, also, the little girl's name is Pepe Mireya. :) The little one could eat and play (bite my toes) all day long if she could. She recently learned how to drink water and how to use the litterbox.. We are proud parents :)

Sending lots of love and hugs to you all! :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@AnetteMR : good to hear from you! Sabrina and Pepe Mireya look great. Pepe Mireya is a cutie. I love the pic were she gives stinkey eye to her mommy (who has turned her back to her so she couldn't care less:). What a grown up girl she is with drinking water and using the litter.

Good job, proud parents!

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh, I'm sorry you had such a terrible time in the beginning, but it looks like your had a wonderful outcome with the new Pepe Mireya growing well and looking like a picture of health. Sabrina and her are both very lucky to have found such a loving home. Beautiful pictures! I'm already looking forward to more updates!

evsgarden

Lairian
Hi there, lairians!
Sorry for being gone for so long but I promised to keep you updated so here are some pictures!

View attachment 60757 View attachment 60758 View attachment 60759 View attachment 60762 View attachment 60763 View attachment 60764 View attachment 60765 View attachment 60767

Sabrina and the little one are doing very well and we are all happy. Oh, also, the little girl's name is Pepe Mireya. :) The little one could eat and play (bite my toes) all day long if she could. She recently learned how to drink water and how to use the litterbox.. We are proud parents :)

Sending lots of love and hugs to you all! :)
Congratulations on your new baby!

Back