Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Taking your Sphynx out for a walk in your jacket? Bring your Sphynx around with you?

Tale Grude

Lairian
Hi!

I have seen people who bring their sphynx on walks inside their jacket, with their head sticking out but still keeping warm. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it "safe"? Does the cat usually chill out or is there a big chance of the cat jumping out or getting spooked? I am planing on teaching my cat to walk on a leash eventually. But I would love to bring her for walks in my jacket, or just bring her around with me in general. But I'm not sure if it is a good idea or not. But I get the impression, that if there is a cat that would be easy to bring around, it would be the Sphynx :)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi!

I have seen people who bring their sphynx on walks inside their jacket, with their head sticking out but still keeping warm. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it "safe"? Does the cat usually chill out or is there a big chance of the cat jumping out or getting spooked? I am planing on teaching my cat to walk on a leash eventually. But I would love to bring her for walks in my jacket, or just bring her around with me in general. But I'm not sure if it is a good idea or not. But I get the impression, that if there is a cat that would be easy to bring around, it would be the Sphynx :)
Hi - I would surly not recommend bringing your sphynx outdoors without a leash. He could easily escape and the sphynx makeup would not fare well in the elements outdoors, sun, cold, other animals, etc. Hope this helps in your descision.

Kyla L

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Nigel comes out in our backyard without a leash on a couple of times a week. He has his bell collar on and I am always a few steps behind him. We have a 6 ft tall wood fence so he can't just jump it from the ground. He doesn't even like to climb it. He does like to play with rocks and roll in our sand and he only comes out when it is warm.

However, if we leave the house and I am carrying him he is either in his carrier or has a leash on. He isn't too big on running away or exploring. But every cat is different. Just make sure you do everything in your power to ensure your cat is safe.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would recommend a stroller if you wanted to take your sphynx out with you also.
You could bundle them up good and put a sweater on them also. But, like Admin
said, I would never take a chance without a leash. Anything could happen.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When Molly was smaller, I used to take her out with me in a large hand fav with a blanket in it.... Nail salon, shopping, etc. She was totally fine. Now at 7 lbs it's harder...

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My 2 year old re homed girl came to me knowing about being walked. When she goes out she is on a leash
And she also has outdoor time in the cat tent. I also will be maybe looking into a stroller.
A leash is always a good thing

Tale Grude

Lairian
Thank you guys! :D I'm in the process of teaching Kisa to walk on a leash. I'm getting her used to the harness. But I'm a little nervous about walking her outside in the future when she has gotten used to it all. What if she gets scared? What if I run into another cat or a dog? But I have seen people walking cats as the would walk a dog, going wherever and doing whatever.

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I walk my two on a leash and harness (they actually walk me!). I also have a stroller. My backyard is fenced in, and I go out with them in warm weather, I keep a harness and leash on them, I don't hold the leash, and I follow them around as they explore the yard. They love it. I like to play with Da Bird outside because they can really jump and run with all the space out there.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you guys! :D I'm in the process of teaching Kisa to walk on a leash. I'm getting her used to the harness. But I'm a little nervous about walking her outside in the future when she has gotten used to it all. What if she gets scared? What if I run into another cat or a dog? But I have seen people walking cats as the would walk a dog, going wherever and doing whatever.

A very good friend of mine has a teeny tiny dog and when we go for walks with the dog and it appears we're about to encounter trouble (another dog etc.), my friend just picks her dog up by the harness which supports the little one's body weight comfortably. She then scoops him into her arms and she makes her apologies for her cute little thing trying to act like it's hell bent on killing other dogs because they exist. LOL.

My husband wants to take ours out for walks, so I feel comfortable that with the right harness, a similar lift & scoop action will prevent any upsets. Hopefully ;-)

FeyAngel

Lairian
Xandria, as a proud owner of a Yorkshire Terrier (2 for many years), I can vouch for the lift and scoop with a harness/leash. My still living Yorkie is only about 3 pounds, but in her younger years she thought she was about ten times that size. I haven't figured out yet the best harness option for the Sphynx, but definitely think it would be the way to go.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Xandria, as a proud owner of a Yorkshire Terrier (2 for many years), I can vouch for the lift and scoop with a harness/leash. My still living Yorkie is only about 3 pounds, but in her younger years she thought she was about ten times that size. I haven't figured out yet the best harness option for the Sphynx, but definitely think it would be the way to go.

LOL. I swear, the smaller the dog, the bigger they think they are. I can't wait to go harness shopping! I'm worse than an expectant mother.

Tiffany_Kay

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Any time mine leave the house they have on a harness and leash but they are usually always stay in my arms. Wasabi actually does like staying in my jacket

zindaginha

Lairian
What is this cat tent? I have a new cat who is 10 months old and has lots of energy. I live in a big house and there are people around most of the day, but he's bad at playing by himself, is very picky about his toys and gets kind of bored. I've taken him out on a leash twice and it kind of worked, but I'd be into other options for expanding his ability to explore.

My 2 year old re homed girl came to me knowing about being walked. When she goes out she is on a leash
And she also has outdoor time in the cat tent. I also will be maybe looking into a stroller.
A leash is always a good thing

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@zindaginha here is an example of a cat tent
0f8a5fe021785e9e213cbefa7833b163.jpg
I still would not leave them unattended in it.

Back