Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Taming the bath monster!!

Brooke

Banned
I don't know what's gotten into Mr. Walter today.

I've been putting off his bath for too long because he fights it. I usually end up with a bruise or scratch...Last time, I tried bathing him in the kitchen sink and that was a total disaster. That was two weeks ago, and I finally just got the nerve to try again - back to the tub where he can't launch himself through the air and then slide 10 feet on his side across the tile floor...

So, I filled up the bath tub, put on my suit of armor, layered the bathroom floor with towels, moved everything breakable out of harm's way, carried him in there, and what did he do?

He just stood in one spot, purring the entire time, while I lathered him up and rinsed him off!
I think I may need to schedule a psych evaluation! :Laugh:

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Wow, I'm jelious! Maybe he can teach Haley! LOL She hates bathes, but I'll just keep working on that problem!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That is Great.
I do not have any problems giving Cleo baths except for when she pulls things in to the sink.
She almost wrecked my camera a few months ago.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone tried to fill bath up to the kittys upper chest or neck? Ive watched some of these sphynx bath videos and the water seems deep, maybe thats what keeps them from going crazy? I may try it.:Woo:

PitRottMommy

Banned
Baldwin just walks around meowing while I scrub him down. I only do from the neck down and I clean the ears heavily after the bath.

Buck and Buffy, however, aren't really big fans of the post-bath nail trims and ear cleanings.

All of ours seem to tolerate bathing fairly well. Glad to hear Walter is coming to his senses!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
To funny it sounds like that after 2 weeks Walter did not like being dirty and he gave in!!!! Sounds good to me!

Brooke

Banned
Has anyone tried to fill bath up to the kittys upper chest or neck? Ive watched some of these sphynx bath videos and the water seems deep, maybe thats what keeps them from going crazy? I may try it.:Woo:

I tried that once with my other boy, Harold, after seeing the bath videos. He kept sticking his face down in the water and sneezing the whole time, and then I felt guilty for using so much water to fill up the tub!

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When I first starting bathing Meecho I tried the full tub and when she tried to jump out I reached for her and ended up head first in there. After that I went to me staying as dry as possible so I put less water in there and still no luck. So showers it is. :ThumbsUp:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Piglet is pretty easy to bathe...thank goodness! She never looks very thrilled when I'm giving her a bath, but she'll sit still and let me wash and rinse her. It makes for a quick and relatively stress-free bathing process. :ThumbsUp:

However, when it comes to trimming her nails, that's a whole other story! She'll fight me tooth and nail to keep me from trimming her nails. :Angry: She squirms even when I try to clean her nail beds....sigh.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
When I first starting bathing Meecho I tried the full tub and when she tried to jump out I reached for her and ended up head first in there. After that I went to me staying as dry as possible so I put less water in there and still no luck. So showers it is. :ThumbsUp:

That is just too funny:LOL: I can just see you head first in the tub and kitty making A run for it!

Brooke

Banned
Everyone in the house couldn't stop laughing :BigSmile: Too bad no video I might have won on AFV :ThumbsUp:

Kalliee,
Oh, please please, pretty please, will you re-enact that and videotape it for us?!! :Hysterical: That is too funny! ...and I can see Meecho standing there rolling her eyes at you.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Tempting but ahh.... no :Laugh: I'm sure she saw me and the first thought in her head was " see not so good to take a bath is it?"

emerald_sphynx

Lairian
I had that problem to when I first got Lolita just take a BIG plastic cup and poor warm water on him in the tub that relaxes the Sphynx and makes them feel safe and secure. :D:BigSmile:

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have to watch Kreacher in the sink, and i have to make sure I putt the running water on the other side of the sink...the running water next to him makes him freak out. Also you have to make sure the water temp is only mildly warm. They dont like it cold, but they don't like it hot either :)

CoolSphynx

Lairian

I bathe Dobby like this in the kitchen sink. I think it keeps him warmer if more of him in in the warm water...just like its colder for us when we get up from sitting in the tub. He's pretty calm, but that might be b/c he knows I mean business after years of bathing ornery persians....and Phin sits next to the sink and talks to him (or maybe she's making fun of him for having to get a weekly bath :BigSmile:)

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thank goodness my three cats do okay when bathing they really don't care for it but they stand in the tub and let me get it over with and then i clean their ears and do their nails and then they are done. Rayray has only bit me once because he got sick of me digging in his ears to clean them out lol

Back