Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Tearing eye!!!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Maggiesmommy,
There could be many reasons why your babies eye is tearing, from as small as she poked or bumped her eye on something to an eye infection. Her tissue in her eye can be come inflamed or infected from viral infections (such as herpes virus or calici virus), chlamydial eye infections, bacterial eye infections as well as other abnormalities. The common symptoms of cat eye infections from conjunctivitis include eye discharge, excessive tearing, blinking, squinting, and redness. If it persists as always recommended here on Sphynxlair see your vet!
Hope Maggie feels better soon!:ThumbsUp::Laugh:

zoes mom

Lairian
My siamese cat once had a clear runny eye I put a drop of polysporin eye/ear drops in her eye as soon as i noticed it, did that twice a day for two days and it was gone! I would give it a try ....obviously if in a few days it doesn't help then I would make an appointment to vet. I always keep these drops in the shelf at home as well as regular tube poly for the fam etc. good luck and don't panic...im sure she just got something in her eye that irritated it. I get the stuff at the pharmacy where i live just ask the pharmacy for it. good luck

gizmoismyboy

Lairian
Gizmo has this issue and our vet said its just allergies. The other 2 are perfectly fine and just have the regular sleepy eye gook once in awhile. BOY !!! does Gizmo hate to get them cleaned. We use baby wipes and some of it is tough to get off cause it dries up.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
With it being clear tears that is a good sign. But yeah - if it keeps up I'd take her to the vet. They check her and make sure she doesn't have anything foreign in her eye and then probably give you some drops. I took Snuffie and she does have the feline herpes but has only ever had one flare up. Her gooeys are not clear tho so I don't think Maggs has feline herpes. I hope it turns up to be something simple. Keep us posted! xoxox

Fountainrunner

Lairian
I don't think it's feline herpes but my kitty's eyes tear too. I have to wipe the clear goop out of his eyes before it turns dark purple and gets hard. I've upped his daily Lysine intake and it's not as bad anymore. I only need to wipe his eyes once or twice a day now as before it was a constant occurrence.

Back