Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Teeth Brushing TIPS

Misty Lee 123

Lairian
I’ve done a search for threads on Sphynx toothbrushing but still have a couple of Qs so apologies if this has been covered before.

We adopted Misty at 8 months old (now 1yr 1 month) and her previous owner’s maintenance of her health and hygiene was not great. She hadn’t received her second round of vaccines as a kitten, her ears had never been cleaned and had a massive amount of wax buildup and possibly mites, and vet said her teeth had a bit of tartar buildup - unusual for such a young cat. We had her vaccinated, did a LOT of work to get her ears back to good health. She’s very healthy now, and fantastic at having her ears cleaned and being bathed — but the one thing she REALLY hates is having her teeth brushed. Vet recommended Royal Canin Oral Care and no wet food whatsoever. She drinks plenty of water so this seems to sit well with her after some months, but I’m worried about her front teeth which are a little brown. Her breath doesn’t smell at all.
I’m wondering if anyone has any toothbrushing tips or has overcome their Sphynx’s hatred of the activity. We have tried many types of toothpaste, she hates the meat flavoured ones especially beef and chicken. Have also tried silicone finger brushing and small toothbrush. Toothbrush is better, but boy does it still make her MAD.

Lastly, can anyone describe what oil buildup on teeth looks like as opposed to plaque or tartar?

thank you endlessly!

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I try to brush, all three of mine.... but I agree the silicone thing is so big for that little mouth, didn't work at all. I bought kids toothbrushes and they work better. None of mine like the brushing, so I have to trick them into this. I usually sit them between my legs with their back against me. I feel I have more control then. When we started I just used my finger in there between the cheek and teeth. Just so they got used to it. Two out of three likes the flavor, we use Bucacat paste. So, I'll follow this thread too and hopefully pick up some tips and trix!

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Manual brush with these style of toothbrushes small end

www.ebay.com.au

4PCS 22cm Dog Toothbrush Dual End Dog Cat Dental Grooming Tooth Brush Toothbrush | eBay

Item type: pet toothbrush. Quantity: 4pcs. 4PCS pet toothbrushes. Dual end design with two brush sizes, one large and one small brush head. Angled design and tapered bristles for better reach, easy to use.
www.ebay.com.au
Use hexarinse on non woven swab and rub teeth after brushing

au.virbac.com

Hexarinse Oral Rinse For Dogs, Cats & Horses

Hexarinse aids in the prevention of tartar, plaque and periodontal disease in dogs, cats and horses. Hexarinse is easy and ready to use.
au.virbac.com
au.virbac.com
www.vetnpetdirect.com.au

Covetrus Non-Woven Swabs

Covetrus Non Woven Swabs can be used for wound cleaning and dressing. Pack of 200. SIZES:7.5 x 7.5cm;10 x 10cm
www.vetnpetdirect.com.au
www.vetnpetdirect.com.au

JadeSphynx

Lairian
I second the Itty bitty toothbrush!

I started by finding a good toothpaste they were excited to taste, then I slowly worked on the brush. Im at a point now where I can eat least brush each tooth once or twice before they run hahaha. My girl will kind of chew on the brush too. Made sure if was a softer bristle as well. I got the ones on using on Amazon, if I find the link I'll share!

Misty Lee 123

Lairian
Thanks so much for all the suggestions! Had a major breakthrough today after finally finding a flavour of toothpaste she likes—malt!!! Will definitely try the rinse/swabs too as she doesn’t mind my fingers in her mouth too much. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• E5299851-7064-482B-ADC4-ACBC733A9875.jpeg
    E5299851-7064-482B-ADC4-ACBC733A9875.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 26
Back