Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Teeth question

ninja4her

Lairian
I just got my second sphynx cat from the breeder he is 3 months old. When they are still nursing from the mother does their teeth have a little brown on them from the oil on the skin?

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think that might be true. I wouldn't worry anyway because the little guy/gal will lose those teeth anyway.

Butterball's teeth are brown. His gums are perfectly fine though. I've come to the conclusion that his teeth are brown from cleaning his claws. They are only brown on the tips. They start to turn white again close to the gums. And the little dirty piglet won't crunch his food. He just follows the kibble whole. I think his teeth would be cleaner if he actually used them when he eats.

holly_savage

Banned
Hibou's canines are brown, but they are stained from the Antibiotics she was taking. The vet says that much like children, certain kinds or antibiotics can stain teeth.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Ninjaforher,
This is common to see cats with discolored or "brown" teeth. Being your Sphynx is so young it would not concern me as much than an older cat would as they may need dental attention. Brushing and a good quality treat like Greenies will help brighten the little guys teeth. Here is one of many threads I found here on Sphynxlair about discolored teeth http://www.sphynxlair.com/f33/teeth-brown-4365/

ktate88

Banned
Niles has brown staining on some of his teeth as well. I checked with the breeder and his mom was treated with antibiotics. I didn't get the specific name, though doxycycline is the most common to cause this.

I would have thought the vet, if not the breeder, would have known to avoid doxy if the mom was pregnant. I didn't press it as his adult teeth may come in just fine. And structurally, they are fine. Just surface staining.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I would not worry kittens teeth and also their tongue can be brown colored if the have eaten adult cat food. Sounds crazy I know but we had a litter once that where able to get to Leo's food at times and when they did the brown showed up. I went to the vet and he asked what this could be. I thought he was crazy but after picking up the adult dry when the kittens where around I found it to be true. There is no harm in it as long as they get enough kitten food and the brown will wipe off the tongue and just stick around on the teeth for a while.

ktate88

Banned
I would not worry kittens teeth and also their tongue can be brown colored if the have eaten adult cat food. Sounds crazy I know but we had a litter once that where able to get to Leo's food at times and when they did the brown showed up. I went to the vet and he asked what this could be. I thought he was crazy but after picking up the adult dry when the kittens where around I found it to be true. There is no harm in it as long as they get enough kitten food and the brown will wipe off the tongue and just stick around on the teeth for a while.

That is so strange about the food! Easy "fix" though.

I'm not too concerned. I'm the only one who sees his mouth when he waits impatiently at my feet for breakfast in the morning. What a view, and big mouth!! heehee