Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

abbietron

Lairian
My lovely little baby boy is teething. He is very bitey and is becoming worse at night time. My partner and I are exhausted because he wakes us up during the night biting our fingers/arms, I know this isn't his fault and understand this is what babies do. When he has been biting our hands we firmly say no and put him on the floor. Is there anything I can try to make the teething process easier. I love him lots but between my job and being awake all night I am exhausted :(.

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Nym spent many a night in the bathroom when she was having litter box issues. I missed her snuggling at night, but it was better than staying up all hours of the night cleaning messes. Maybe he just needs to be evicted from the bedroom until he realizes that nighttime is when the humans sleep. We still have to do this with our two every so often, and they're über snuggly when they're allowed back in the following night.

Graddydani

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Do you have any chewy toys he lying around that you can aim him at?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
My lovely little baby boy is teething. He is very bitey and is becoming worse at night time. My partner and I are exhausted because he wakes us up during the night biting our fingers/arms, I know this isn't his fault and understand this is what babies do. When he has been biting our hands we firmly say no and put him on the floor. Is there anything I can try to make the teething process easier. I love him lots but between my job and being awake all night I am exhausted :(.

See this article - hope it helps. http://www.sphynxlair.com/f53/how-stop-my-sphynx-kitten-biting-3218/

Mrwhettams

Lairian
At night, we give him a couple of chances, and if he keeps it up we simply put him out of the bedroom and close the door. We don't have to do that too often because I think he's learning that the bedroom is for snuggling and sleeping, not for playtime!

Graddydani

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
At night, we give him a couple of chances, and if he keeps it up we simply put him out of the bedroom and close the door. We don't have to do that too often because I think he's learning that the bedroom is for snuggling and sleeping, not for playtime!

I'm sure that'll do too. Good luck. Those little teeth are like little needles.

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hmm, maybe its best that you close your bedroom door so you can sleep until this teething phase has passed.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

I have a few suggestions that I have done here. First, you must be consistant. I know it's difficult at times, especially when you are exhausted and only want to sleep. But it's important as this will teach your baby boy what your rules are without giving him conflicting messages.

Next is...you must be a "social director". When he bites you or your partner, you need to give him something that he can sink his teeth into. Telling him, "No!" is the right thing to do, but then you must divert his attention to what IS acceptable to bite on because he does have that need. I used PetStages gummy worm. I always made sure it was on my bed within my reach and I stuck it in their mouths like a human mom might use a pacifier.

For those times that my boys wanted to grab onto my entire hand/arm and flip over to bite HARD and kick with their back legs...I quickly grabbed a big, soft toy like their big, fat stuffed rat. Eww! LOL ...or... I took their PetStages kitty or puppy (I have both here), that goes in the microwave for warmth. I always had these items on my bed at night and I was ready for action. LOL I would take that stuffed toy and put it on their belly/chest area. They would always grab that and leave me alone. They bit and kicked the toy and not me.