Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Terrible rash all over his body :-(

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well it is getting to be summer here in Chicago....Has anyone ever used sunscreen on their Sphynx? Not that Kramer will ever be outside without someone with him but if we do go somewhere I would like to protect him; I don't think he would appreciate wearing clothes when it is scorching hot out. I have read & gotten so many different opinions on it I'm not sure what I think or where I stand. A lot of the companies that make pet sunscreen DO NOT have all the ingredients on the label, which makes me nervous...I was thinking baby sunblock since their skin is similar to a baby. Anyone have any experience on or with this?

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Has anyone....?

I was told to use the baby sunblock, and I have and it is fine. Our Leo's favorite spot is in A window and when inside I forget to put it on him and he does get A bit red and gets A rash all over him so even if we are not home we can tell where he sat all day. It is getting warm so I have to remember to give him A quick spray every morning.

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

Do you have any problems with the spray (it sounds like that is the type you have)? I was told by a couple people that if they inhale it it can irritate their nasal passages.

Jenny46060

Lairian

I use baby sunblock for Kaci. I'll try to remember to look at the details of it when I get home. I get the highest SPF I can find and rub a thin layer all over her but especially around her ears. I usually carry a lightweight baby blanket with us too so she can get out of the sun if she wants to. Yes, I'm the one that actaully has a "diaper bag" packed for my kitty... BUT we are always prepared! ;)

Moonstone

Lairian

sorry, I've never used such products, so I don't know if it's bad or good for our lovely companions.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I have let ButterBall outside for a total of probably 10 minutes under direct sunlight. I swear that little booger already has sun spots on his back. I'll have to keep an eye on that. But no, I've never used sunblock but I like the baby sunblock idea.

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

My thinking was if it is safe enough for a baby; it should be ok for them. I just don't like the idea of buying something that doesn't have the ingredients listed on it... seems a little strange to me... if it is safe then list what is in it; right?

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

I'm glad that you can use baby sunblock. I've been trying so hard to find sun block for Meecho but can only find the kinds for dogs and I didn't feel safe putting that on her. I never even thought about baby sunblock. I try to take her out on the weekends and I actually bought a stroller that looks like a baby stroller to keep her in, but also to keep her supplies with me. I'm like you Jenny I carry all kinds of stuff in a bag just for her. I keep extra blankets, tissues, snacks, water bottles and the list goes on and on :)

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Skin question

Hi Everyone!

Just a quick question;
Kramer has 2 little bumps in between his shoulder blades...The are lightly pink in color...it doesn't look like anything to be concerned about, almost like what we would get when getting a zit. Just wondering if anyone else's cats get these, they just popped up yesterday. They are not itchy, I am thinking maybe from him scratching just a small irritation or a clogged pore.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Skin question

do you have a picture of the spots? if not its okay, maybe some one could identify them with their cat.im sure its nothing.:tinysmile_twink_t:

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

I don't they are so small they won't come up in a pic. I'm just overly anal about my pets & check them over daily... i have OCD with that stuff! I really don't think they are much, my vet friend stopped over & she said that she thought they could be either a clogged pore or from him scratching at his collar because it is under his collar. They didn't look like anything to be concerned about, just wondering if anyone else's cat gets little bumps here & there. I know my dogs get similar bumps when they have a clogged pore.

admin

Administrator
Staff member

My cat lenidas does get red spots almost like a rash once in awhile , i think its from heat, like a heat rash. Being you said its under his collar i would tend to think its from the collar.

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

That is what I was thinking... I will just watch it for a few days & see what happens. He is just so little if I don't keep a collar with a bell on it he tends to get under foot A LOT!!!

Moonstone

Lairian

One of my cat make allergy, (to some food and some medics) then little red spots appear under the "arms" or on te neck.
But there are several red spots not only one or two.

Don't you think it could be simply a mosquito bite ?

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

No it can't be a mosquito bite; I'm in Chicago & it is not warm enough here for mosquito's yet. I think it may just be from him scratching at his collar.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

When I first got ButterBall I noticed the same thing. Little pinkish spots which looked like very small mosquito bites. I was concerned at first but they just went away.

That reminds me, for ButterBall's last bath I used regular soap. It dried his skin pretty good. My breeder sent me some specially made soap from www.littlenudedudes.com. It really has worked better for him if anyone might be interested. Whoops, upon further investigation it looks like the web site is no longer valid. They still got a myspace page. http://www.myspace.com/littlenudedudes

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member

I would say it's probably nothing but since he is A new baby has he had any vaccines since the spots appeared? It could be A reaction to A vaccine. Just A thought. Keep us posted.

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

No new vaccines... they look to be a little lighter today, I will keep you posted.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

I know this is a old post but I just visited my vet and she gave me a great link on where to get cat sun block. the site is http://www.epi-pet.com/links.aspx. I had bought Meecho california baby and took it to her and she said it was perfect. I paid WAY to much for it at Whole Foods, but I also found it for a fraction of the cost at Target. It's located in the baby section and is 100% natural.

cchloerun

Banned
Hello everyone! I am brand new and have a pressing question:
Of my 6 Sphynx, the new boy, Nano, has developed a terrible skin rash.

We have tried changing the litter, the food, the Vet... It doesn't seem to bother him one bit, but looks horrible- red bumps (no fluid) covering his body. Vet gave him a steroid (I am not a fan of this) and it got better then came fully back the next day. I am out of ideas as to what is causing this. I have pictures if anyone would like to see or has any ideas? The bumps are pink/red and the skin on the rash feel VERY dry, almost scab-like.
Thank you for taking the time to read this!
Chanel

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Howdy, welcome to sphynx lair. Lots of good people here. You should enjoy it.

Poor little Nano. I'm a relatively new sphynx owner so I have no idea on Nano's condition. Sounds like poison ivy or some other poisonous plant. Or maybe it's the feline version of exema (spelling). I'm curious, does it bother him? Does he scratch it?

I hope you find out what is wrong with little Nano. Good luck and keep us updated.

cchloerun

Banned
Thank you for the well wishes! It's weird, he doesn't even seem aware of the rash (thankfully!)
We don't have any plants, otherwise I would say it looks like poison ivy!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Chanel,
Could you please post a picture of it? One suggestion before seeing picture, does he sit in the sun, like a window on the floor where the sun beams in for long periods of time? My male leo will get a similar sounding rash from heat, like the sun, or lays on the radiator heat in the winter and he gets red bumps like a rash. have you recently had vaccines done? here are some similar threads http://www.sphynxlair.com/showthread.php?t=204&highlight=rash

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hi and welcome, I also am going to say the sun without seeing any pictures. Leo does get this when he sits in the window or i out in the sun to long! You are in Arizona and the sun is much stronger then here in New Jersey so if the sun is his problem the exposer time is much shorter! If there is A spot that he is sitting, they sell A uv like window tint you can put over your window so the light still gets in. Best of luck and keep us up to date on this

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Meecho got the exact same rash on her head when she sat in the sun. It was like little red pimples. Since I started to make sure she was wearing sunscreen when she goes out it hasn't happened again. She does sit by the window but luckily it's not direct sunlight so I think that's why she doesn't get from the window sitting.

Back