Welcome to the Sphynxlair community! A community dedicated to the Sphynx breed!

Terrible Surprise

I thought Tut was constipated because I hadn't seen him use the litter box in 2 days but what happened was he started USING THE BASEMENT AS HIS LITTER BOX! :rage:
I usually let him down there (only if i am home) thinking he is just running around and climbing but I won't be doing that anymore. If I cut off his access to the basement will he start using his litter box again? or should I bite the bullet and get another one for the basement?

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Only way to know is to try closing the door. You have a great backup plan in place knowing if that doesn’t work to add another box down there. Be sure to clean the area with enzymatic cleaner or he might just keep going in the same spot. Good luck.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@GMPLAX23 ,Has anything changed? Litter , box type , new pets , etc comstruction , remodeling etc where he may be looking for a quiet place ?
Any downstairs windows with outdoor cats possibly peeking in ?

Just another thought - I do have picky picky kitties amd I swear I am the litter scoop queen.. I scoop several times a day - they go running in to use it again as I am scooping lol !
Interestingly I found my sphnyx more picky about litter box scooping than any other cat breed I have had -

If no medical reason , and if it may be hard to keep the basement door closed all the time with family schedules
I would personally add the other box and scoop as often as possible

Head smooches to Tut , I swear I wish they could talk !

Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Ooooh King Tut! You can't do that. Hopefully he starts using his litterbox again when you close the door

Yoda mom

Staff member
@GMPLAX23 , another thought is how big is his litter box?
My boys like a tall big box
Fav is catit Jumbo (I take off the door flap )
Amd the good pet stuff hidden litter box

When I had smaller Van ness brand covered boxes and the bigger boxes -
They always went for the big boxes

Lynn W

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If possible I'd leave the door shut...he maybe protesting something new around the house also.

Thanks everyone. I picked up an enzymatic cleaner and more of the breeze pellets. Maybe there isn't enough in there. I am keeping the door shut!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk