Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Thai's 1st show!

MELODIEROCK

Lairian
Thai is going to her 1st show in a couple of wks. If anybody has any good advice, I would love to hear it. I'm also looking for a breeding mentor. I've had 3 litters with my old female but want to start off right with my new girl and make sure I do everything right moving forward.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Good luck Melodierock, I do not know much about showing but maybe Mews2much has some advice.:Laugh:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Are you showing in TICA or CFA?
I can give you advice on showing.
I was at shows the last 3 weekends.
You need to make sure you have the cat very clean.
That includes the rear end.
I know a breeding that will give you great advice on breeding.
You can ask me any questions about showing.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Are you showing in TICA or CFA?I can give you advice on showing.I was at shows the last 3 weekends.You need to make sure you have the cat very clean.That includes the rear end.I know a breeding that will give you great advice on breeding.You can ask me any questions about showing.
I have questions on showing!!! LOL Nofuratu has only been in 3 shows so far with the CCA/AFC. Our problem is his behavior...he yowls, grows and hisses at the judges. We are pretty sure it is the smell of other cats and are going to try coconut oil on his nose for his next show at the end of march...but any more advice would be welcome.When he gets back to his table he is an angel. He refuses to sit in his "cage" and naps on the table. He's used to people petting him every sat and sunday at our flea market and is comfortable on his leash, in a stroller or snuggly and in the car.....so he's totally social and not stressed being crowded by people or touched. He even passed his pet therapy exam! But at cat shows he even hisses and growls at us when we put him in and take him of the cage in the judging ring!! He never bites or uses his claws and he has won a first and second place even with his behavior......the judges said he still feels relaxed during handling and just has a potty mouth! CCA/AFC judges are not supposed to judge personality but Im planning on entering a TICA show soon and I think i read in the rules/regulations that the cats demeanor is judged.......Its so frustrating because he looks like the perfect sphynx! (allright i suppose i am biased)

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That is what Cleo did before she started smacking judges.
The coconut oil will not work.
I even tried vicks,rescue remedy and feliway and nothing worked.
Hissing and growling are ok in TICA.
Cleo did that and still finaled.
Cleo was disqualified from a TICA and CFA show.
It is the smell of the other cats.
Cleo was exhibition last weekend and she was hissing and growling at other cats.
She is also fine in the benching area and loves to be petted and purrs for other people.
If you get certain TICA judges and he is acting that why they may not want to judge him.
Cleo had been to 4 shows before she acted up.
She had hissed but that was it.
She was clawed by another cat in the ring.
You need to be careful he may start striking judges or worse.
Cleo will be shown again when I think she is ready.
Her breeder gave me good advice.
I will bring her as exhibition until I think she is ready.

Brooke

Banned
I have questions on showing!!! LOL Nofuratu has only been in 3 shows so far with the CCA/AFC. Our problem is his behavior...he yowls, grows and hisses at the judges. We are pretty sure it is the smell of other cats and are going to try coconut oil on his nose for his next show at the end of march...but any more advice would be welcome.When he gets back to his table he is an angel. He refuses to sit in his "cage" and naps on the table. He's used to people petting him every sat and sunday at our flea market and is comfortable on his leash, in a stroller or snuggly and in the car.....so he's totally social and not stressed being crowded by people or touched. He even passed his pet therapy exam! But at cat shows he even hisses and growls at us when we put him in and take him of the cage in the judging ring!! He never bites or uses his claws and he has won a first and second place even with his behavior......the judges said he still feels relaxed during handling and just has a potty mouth! CCA/AFC judges are not supposed to judge personality but Im planning on entering a TICA show soon and I think i read in the rules/regulations that the cats demeanor is judged.......Its so frustrating because he looks like the perfect sphynx! (allright i suppose i am biased)

I was told recently that vanilla under their nose works for this...because they can't smell anything else. Same concept as the coconut oil, but vanilla was recommended to me. I wonder if it might work better? (I haven't tried it)

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
One of the judges mentioned vanilla to me as well but i havent tried it. I really hope this isnt the end of Nofuratu's show career. We will see how the show March 27th goes.
At his last show a cat got loose and freaked out right beside him on the floor. Nofur was on the table with his blankie and just looked at the cat and didnt do a thing. We also started carrying him around during the show and he is yaowly at first and then gets calmer....but as soon as we put him in the ring it starts again.
I was thinking of taking him to friends houses that have cats, that he has met and played with before........just so he can smell other cats....

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You are doing the right thing walking around with him.
You can try taking him in the judging area when the judges go to lunch.
Cleo was good at the last 2 shows then she started his at last weekends show after Roma my friends cat started hissing at her through a sturdi.
Are you going to a TICA show March 27th?
I have a 2 day TICA show that weekend.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Crap I mixed them all up again! LOL ....Im having a hard time keeping all the organizations straight! No, for me there is a CCA/AFC show in Laval, Quebec the weekend of the 27th this month...then Im considering an ACFA show in april in nova scotia. I thought it was a TICA show...LOL....but it is an ACFA show, which Ive never done before.....have you?
Thanks for the advice about taking him in the judging ring during a lunch break! thats a good idea!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sorry I know nothing about the ACFA but my friend used to judge there and says the people are nice.
They do not have any shows out here.
Why dont you join a cat site I am in.
Martice will give you advice on ACFA.
I got that advice from Cleos breeder.
He is a judge and has told me what to do with Cleo.
Are you going to show in TICA also?

Back