Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Thanks, really...

Reina

Lairian
I thought I would finally introduce myself as I have been lurking on the forums, posting here and there. My name is Reina and together with my significant other we brought home our little bundle of joy (Odis) in early March! It has been a whirlwind of discovery and adventures!
Unfortunately, Odis has been sick since we first brought him home. It started with pink eye which became a URI then found out he has feline herpes virus. He finally has been getting better ( he was on an antibiotic and is still on lysine) but then suddenly has bouts of stuffy nose here and there with this sort of cough (which the vet has described as him clearing his throat.)

It's been rough as we never had this much sickness before and I grew up with cats. Thanks to the forums I was able to find solutions and comfort through the experiences of others and without having to go through this blindly and alone. As a new sphynx mom you could imagine how worried I was. So I wanted to take this time to thank the admin for starting a forum solely for sphynx!

Luckily, Odis however still has tons of energy and an appetite to match even though he has been sick! He is one of the best kittens I ever had.. super cuddly for me and super playful with his daddy!
PART_1391487233017_imagejpeg_1.jpg.jpg
IMG_0007.jpg
photo1.jpg
Photo Mar 25, 5 30 05 AM.jpg

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi and Welcome! Odis is absolutely adorable. So sorry to hear he has been sickly, but as kittens they are very fragile. Glad he's on the mend. These babies change your life forever. Sounds to me like your the typical sphynx mom. We all worry and fret over these little stinkers. Can't wait to see more pics of Odis and hear of his crazy antics. Love the name!

Yoda mom

Staff member
Welcome Reina , Daddy and Odis! He is sooooo cute!
Luuuuv his little face n paws! He is sooo handsome!
Yes, they do seem to come needing more TLC than any other cat I had growing up as a kid too.. We never heard of lysine , cat bathing etc :)
They are worth it a thousand times over in the laughs n love they return in that oh soo unique sphynxie way!

Send more pics! We love pics!
Head kisses to Odis from our nekkids n a spotted :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Reina
Ps lol. I never got a "care credit " card in my life of animals until now .. Got it in my wallet just in case of emergencies

GizmosMommy

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hello and welcome! He is adorable :) Glad you have found helpful hints on here. Hopefully he will be 100% better soon!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
So nice to see your official introduction today. Odis is adorable...and from the sound of it a lucky baby to have entered a caring home. So glad you are finding some solutions here in The Lair. I know it is a great relief to know you are not alone and usually a member has experienced something similar. Hope to see you become more active in here...that means we see more of Odis!!!

patti

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello @Reina and officially welcome to Sphynxlair! So glad you found us! Its great to hear the Sphynxlair and the members have helped you! What a cutie you have there! Enjoy the community! (y)

Reina

Lairian
Thanks guys! It's really great to hear how caring you all are! I am sure will have many stories to share as he gets older!

@Reina
Ps lol. I never got a "care credit " card in my life of animals until now .. Got it in my wallet just in case of emergencies

I never heard of this before..is it like a pet insurance card?

Reina

Lairian
Hello @Reina and officially welcome to Sphynxlair! So glad you found us! Its great to hear the Sphynxlair and the members have helped you! What a cutie you have there! Enjoy the community! (y)

Thanks!! I am really thankful for having a place to share my concerns and celebrations!

FeyAngel

Lairian
Odis is absolutely gorgeous!!! Although I do not yet have my own hairless baby, I love this community. Just by reading all of the posts I have thus far makes me feel more prepared to handle whatever may come at me once I get my baby. Welcome!!! :)

Banjo

Lairian
Thanks guys! It's really great to hear how caring you all are! I am sure will have many stories to share as he gets older!

I never heard of this before..is it like a pet insurance card?
It's a credit card specifically for health care related things (including dental and vet care). The only difference is you don't have to pay interest on the balance until a certain time frame (about 3 months or more time, depending on what it is). so for example if you have a pet emergency and have to pay up front (pet insurance usually reimburses you after), you can use the care credit to pay :)

edit- I love Odis' paws!! Especially in the first pic :joyful:

Reina

Lairian
Thanks so much guys!!
PART_1400946738905_IMG_3480.jpg_2.jpg

It's a credit card specifically for health care related things (including dental and vet care). The only difference is you don't have to pay interest on the balance until a certain time frame (about 3 months or more time, depending on what it is). so for example if you have a pet emergency and have to pay up front (pet insurance usually reimburses you after), you can use the care credit to pay :)

edit- I love Odis' paws!! Especially in the first pic :joyful:

Thanks! I most definitely am going to look into this!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Reina what a camera ham he is!

Oh. , ps: care credit can be used at vet and your dentist .. Bottom line is very high interest if you don't follow rules exactly.. For instance: vet/dentist charges under &200 accrue interest and need to be paid in full in the billing period to avoid interest.. Then you have to ask you vet or dentist specifically for their terms for charges over $200 - ie 6 mos interest free if paid in full.. You still make monthly payments ..
Call and ask them lots of questions directly ...their website is very easy to use my account feature and I always got they easily when I called them for fine print details...

Now.. Back to Odis! Give him head butts n kisses from us! Just soooo cute!

Trinity Taylor

Lairian
Odis is adorable! So sweet. I am going thru a similar (very) situation with my Toad. I noticed a runny cloudy eye as soon as I picked him up at the airport. I had him see the following day and among other things did a Feline Conjunctivitis Panel. He tested positive for chalmydia and mycoplasma. He is on 4 different meds for the next month. He too has a great appetite. I wish Odis a speedy and full recovery.:cat:

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sounds like my story but I can tell you my girl is fine now, she just gets 500mg of l-lysine daily, or I up it to 1000mg if the symptoms get more pronounced. It's not a big deal after everything else. Just keep doing what you're doing and yours will be fine too.

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome @Reina and Odis very handsome fellow. Great pics thanks for sharing.
Don't worry about URI or feline herpes it's so very very common.
Almost all new kittens get a URI the first month and the other thing my breeder says it's there in most cats and just is dormat.
Sound like he is a great kitty.

Reina

Lairian
Thanks everyone! He is a bit congested today and the vet recommended saline solution for his nose to clear some of it up. Anyone ever try this??

Back