Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Thanksgiving

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Just wondering what everyone is doing for Thanksgiving?
We stay home watch the parade on TV and I cook, family comes for dinner and sometimes some stray people that family knows that have no place to go.
It is hubby's favorite meal and one I don't mind cooking so it's a good day. I also break out the Bailey's and sip that while cooking:Dizzy:
Our daughter begs to go to NYC to the parade, but that is way to crowded for me, so we will go after the tree is up and the crowds are less:ThumbsUp:

Shell_Baby

Lairian
We do about the same thing... all our family lives in this area, so everyone comes to our house to eat. I love to cook& decorate, so it's really fun for us!:ThumbsUp: Usually my mom and mother in law make stuff to bring also, so we have enough to feed a small army :Dizzy: The critters always get some turkey, so they get sleepy! :LOL:

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We are a small family so we have dinner here at the house and of course the kids love to watch the parade on tv (wonder what Nudie will think of a giant turkey parading around on the tv:LOL:). This year I am more excited for the day after because we get Skinderella! So many things to be thankful for this year: Family, good health, pets, new baby sphynx and of course my new "Lair Family":BigSmile:
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
We are going to Jims moms house this Thanksgiving. I have no family here in Ohio so I try to make the best of it. His mom has recently suffered a heart attack and I'll be going over to help her cook and I'll also make a few dishes here to take over. I'll be loading up my cat kids to go along as well.
Holidays are usually a depressing time for me. This year will be worse as my kids have sided with my ex husband and we are having differences so I'm doubtful they will come over. I'll make it the best I can tho.
I hope everyone has a great Holiday!!!

ktate88

Banned
Both of my nanas live in the same little town about an hour away. We go typically sometime Wednesday and stay at my maternal nana's house. We eat lunch with my dad's mom and family-- 5 children, 12 grandkids, 5 great grandkids! Then we go to my moms side of the family for "leftovers" in the evening.

I don't cook...but I will help setup and clean up after!!

We watch the parade in the mornings when getting ready and of course nap after lunch :Wink::Sleep:

Sometimes we do the black friday thing-- depends on the deals.

This Thanksgiving and Christmas my nana we stay with will go from no animals to
1 dashchund, 2 maltese mixes, 1 rhodesian ridgeback mix, and Niles!!! :Dizzy::Sweat:

Usually I cook dinner while my mom works (it's time an a half so she always works) and my husband sits around talking about how helpful he is. Then when the turkey comes out of the oven he becomes the turkey guard because Alex (16 year old ginger tabby) will rush toward it and try to get it at all costs. :BigSmile:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
We are going to Jims moms house this Thanksgiving. I have no family here in Ohio so I try to make the best of it. His mom has recently suffered a heart attack and I'll be going over to help her cook and I'll also make a few dishes here to take over. I'll be loading up my cat kids to go along as well.
Holidays are usually a depressing time for me. This year will be worse as my kids have sided with my ex husband and we are having differences so I'm doubtful they will come over. I'll make it the best I can tho.
I hope everyone has a great Holiday!!!

Sorry to hear about the kids taking sides, lets hope that they change their mind before the holidays or at the very least give both parents a chance.

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
No thanksgiving here. Have to wait til' xmas to eat myself senseless for 10 days.
Eating traditional xmas food is totally out of hand here from 20 to 31 december.

Good though. :)

Gizzymom

Banned
I am like ypvsypvs, except I live in the US! My friends tell me I am un-American, but my Thanksgiving tradition started when I was just got out of grad school, was working tons of hours to pay off student loans, and lived over an hour from my parents.

I go and get Chinese take out on Wednesday before Thanksgiving and get a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting from the bakery (my favorites!).. and then I stay in my pajamas all day on Thursday, chill with Gizmo, and eat! And I am not allowed to feel guilty for getting NOTHING done or eating too much!

People think... awwwww- that's sad... But I LOVE IT!!!!
And my WHOLE family gets together for Christmas... and once a year is enough! :Hysterical:

*Don't worry- I see my parents all the time now. We live 15 minutes apart
And since I was trying to / lost weight in 2010... I have not had Chinese food since 2009!!!!!! :Woo:

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My wife and I head out to her Mom's place in Colorado every year -- which is great 'cause we both like her better than we like my Mom:LOL:

This year I'm combining it with vacation -- so I'll be chillin' with the mom in law for two weeks. Good times, she cooks great, has an awesome hot tub, and great conversation -- I'm looking forward to driving up there this weekend, kitties in tow!:Smile:

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The two of us cook dinner and eat all day and hang out with the cats watching football, years before when both our families lived near we would just use the other as an excuse and just stay home together :LOL: Now my brother lives in Texas, my Mom in Florida and my dad in California (careful what you wish for) So the tradition continues of just us the kitties some football and some turkey, my kinda day!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We rotate between going to my mother in law's or sister in law's for the day. Both are only a 30 minute drive away so we don't have far to go. I usually finish up my side dishes and pies while watching the parade, then pile into the van as soon as Santa appears.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like everyone is going to have a good day:ThumbsUp: I love hearing about everyones traditions and foods. I must say it sounds like Fester and his wife have the best idea and choosing to visit the mom with the hot tub:LOL:

susi794

Staff member
I don't do the turkey thing anymore--just my sister and I and a turkey is just way too big and neither of us has enough freezer space...so she comes over and I make a chicken, stuffing, and corn casserole, some butternut squash, some California mix veggies baked in mushroom soup and swiss cheese with the crispy fried onions on top and my sister usually brings some kind of a dessert. We both love it and don't really miss the tremendous bother of cooking a turkey for just the two of us. All the cat kids get some goodies too. Then we usually watch a movie and/or take a nap. Because the next day is Black Friday and we get up in the middle of the night to get on the road if there is going to be anything that we want to get. I love Thanksgiving because it is a relaxing day--sorta the calm before the whirlwind of the rest of the holiday season begins.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
ok i have to know how to make the california veggie thing? Sound sooo good:ThumbsUp: Please!

susi794

Staff member
Get a bag of the frozen California mix veggies--(broccoli, carrots, cauliflower) throw them frozen into a baking dish, add a can of cream of mushroom soup (no water added) and 2 cups of shredded swiss cheese. Sir it up as best you can and put those canned crunchy fried onions on top. Bake at 350 until it gets hot all the way through the veggies and it's all nice and bubbly. It's absolutely delicious and couldn't be easier. I use a roaster pan so I can cover it if the onions start to get too brown. I serve it along with mashed butternut squash that I've added lots of butter and some Splenda brown sugar to---MMMMMMMMMmmmmm! My mouth is watering as I type this.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Susi this does sound so good and I am going to go for it as a added bonus this year, it is easy and I think will be a big hit:ThumbsUp:
I am always looking for ways to make a veggie that the kids may try.

Inferno12

Banned
I am going to cook for Jess and I and anyone else who doesnt have family here.

Thanksgiving is my absolute holiday not only because I love to eat but because there is no greediness associated with it. There is no dishing out lots of money for presents and fighting people in the stores. There is no stressing over money for presents and travel costs. No stress of which parent or sibling is going to see me when.

Its just me and my wonderful food and relaxing with my baby. I love it and I cant wait.

I will be cooking turkey, stuffing, usually green bean casserole but I think I might have to try susis california veggie dish and home made mashed potatoes!

mmmm.....cant wait!

Gizzymom

Banned
I am going to cook for Jess and I and anyone else who doesnt have family here.

Thanksgiving is my absolute holiday not only because I love to eat but because there is no greediness associated with it. There is no dishing out lots of money for presents and fighting people in the stores. There is no stressing over money for presents and travel costs. No stress of which parent or sibling is going to see me when.

Its just me and my wonderful food and relaxing with my baby. I love it and I cant wait.

I will be cooking turkey, stuffing, usually green bean casserole but I think I might have to try susis california veggie dish and home made mashed potatoes!

mmmm.....cant wait!

Jess is very lucky to have you.... and not just for the food!! LOL

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Just wondering what everyone is doing for Thanksgiving?
We stay home watch the parade on TV and I cook, family comes for dinner and sometimes some stray people that family knows that have no place to go.
It is hubby's favorite meal and one I don't mind cooking so it's a good day. I also break out the Bailey's and sip that while cooking:Dizzy:
Our daughter begs to go to NYC to the parade, but that is way to crowded for me, so we will go after the tree is up and the crowds are less:ThumbsUp:

A little suggestion from an ex travel employee. The first two weekends of December are called December shopping days in NYC. Expect to pay a premium for all hotels/car rentals/flights in Manhattan. Not to mention the mobs of people at the tree and shopping on 5th.

Since you're in NJ, you probably already knew that but for anyone else that might be interested.

Good luck and have fun and Happy turkey day!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I was not going to post on this thread because Thanksgiving is very sad for us.
I lost my Patches at the er vet on Thanksgiving in 1998 which was Nov 26th that year.
My aunt was killed by a Doctors mistake when they punctured her aorta Thanksgiving weekend in 1982 Nov 28th.
Last year Ty my sisters 8 month old Bengal was pts Nov 20th.
My Whiskers died Nov 10th 1979 and my best friend Ricky Farlow of Greensboro,NC died Nov. 11, 1999.
He had wanted to call me but I was working at 5:30 am so I said no.
His wife found him dead at the computer.
Sorry for posting all this.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Jacky- so sorry to hear about all your novemeber "bad luck" (or a lack of a better word)... i would also not be a fan of thanksgiving with all that associated.

John and I have been together almost 5 years and have yet to really get into any sort of tradition. sometimes i'll just got to my family's and he'll go to his. sometimes we'll split the day in 1/2... sometimes i've cooked at home. and we are pretty last minute people. I always make a trip to my parents house regardless of where i am or if i'm cooking. I think john wants to take the kids down to the parade this year. Detroit has a pretty big parade, so we may head down there at 8am. Our meals typically are turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, stuffing, candy yams, greens beans, corn, cheese potatoes, potatoe salad, baked beans and rolls. (yes ALL that food lol) along with homemade chocolate pie, banana pudding, pumpkin pie.. ya know.. the whole 9 :)

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This Thanksgiving I'm going to bed around 6 am. Then getting up at 2:30 pm so I can work 5 pm to 5:30 am, my normal shift. Going to earn the big double time for it. And for entertainment I can take care of all the diabetics who come in with ketoacidosis from eating every damned thing they shouldn't (I'm diabetic too so I'm allowed to say that).

And there will be plenty of poor old folks coming in with congestive heart failure cause it's the end of the month and they're out of Lasix and they won't be able to afford to get their prescription filled until they get the SS check on Dec. 1st. (Funny how the govt. refuses to pay for a $10 prescription that would keep them out of the hospital but will gladly pay thousands of dollars for them to come to ER). Thanksgiving and Christmas are always hard on the old folks, what with it being the end of the month and the lifting of normal dietary restrictions and families urging them to eat/drink things they should be staying away from.

And I'll most likely help hold down drunks while the doc stitches up their heads after their whole family (who are all drunks too and who all hate each other) is forced to spend a day in each others company cause it's a holiday and they start drinking so they can tolerate each other, and after half a dozen beers each the fighting starts and this particular numbnut was too drunk/stupid to stop pissing off his drunken relatives and ended up with one of them smacking him alongside the head with a beer bottle to shut him up...

Oh yeah, good times comin'. Luckily I'm off Christmas so I can spend that relaxing with the family.