Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

The best shampoo for sphynx and bathing routine?

JaniinaEklund

Lairian
Hi everyone,

I just got Ade home a week ago and soon is the first bath with him. For that I would like to ask your tips regarding shampoo and the basic bathing routine (if there is any). What shampoo are you using and how do you handle the bathing? How often do you bath? Does your cats like it? Ade is interested in the water and shower but runs away if he get even a single drop on him so I guess he is not the biggest fan of bathing :D

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
HyLyt Shampoo, is great for sphynx. You need exfoliating gloves and
a wash cloths. You will need epi- optic ear cleaner and q-tips.
The gloves will help you hold your baby, plus washes them good to.
Use the cloth to was the face. Don't get tell shampoo in the eyes
Make sure you rinse really well. Use the cloth then, take your pinkie
finger and put it in the cloth and clean all you can in the ears.
Then, use the epi-optic on q-tips to clean in the little crevices.
Only where you can see. Also, you can put a couple drops of the Epi- optic
In each ear before bath and massage around. Let him shake his head.
That will loosen it up. Clean ears twice a week. Bathe once a week.
As time goes on, you might be able to go to two weeks. It just depends
how dirty e gets. But, don't bathe more than once a week.
Here is a link for HyLyt Shampoo
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=27287

Here is a link for Epi- Optic
http://m.entirelypets.com/epearclean4o.html

Or you can get the ear cleaner at the Vets.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Most important is you find out a bathing routine that fits with Ade. The first times will be an adventure for you and Ade. For Ade to learn about what bathing is and for you to learn about what Ade likes and doesn't like.

My boys hate bathing so I make it as quick as possible. I heat up some coconut oil, massage it on the body of my boys, then I take a wash cloth with a drop of shampoo and wash the dirt off. The coconut oil helps to get the dirt off more easily.
And the I rinse with a lot of water. Make sure to rinse very well cause the coconut oil can attrack dirt and the shampoo left over can make orange/brown stains on their body the next day.
Then I dry them with a heated towel. And after that my boys run off and hate me the rest of the day:-(.

Hope Ade will like his first bath and you find a good bathing routine!

Yoda mom

Staff member
Just Hylyt shampoo here too ( my 4 "spa day" so I don't use coconut oil - I am lucky to rinse the hylyt :)

I nail trim and clean ears the night before spa day

Have everything out ready before adding cat :)
Drying towels close by on counter

put on my exfoliating gloves, sweatshirt and now I use an apron to stay dry

I had 3 back surgeries so I improvise and put the wash tub on top of the bathroom counter- easiest height for me and
I keep warm water flowing and a plastic beverage pitcher in the sink

Pitcher pre filled with baby wash cloths and water/ and a few squirts hylyt shampoo
I now leave the bottom of the stokke bath tub dry ( a Rubbermaid 10 gallon rough tote was our first and works too)

Now I use stokke flexi bath that folds for storage and the rubber made 10 gal tote to store their kitty spa day stuff

Routine:
Wash tub on counter , faucet running , pitcher in sink, one wet non soaped baby wash cloth for face to the side
Add kitty to wash tub - who protests and backs up into corner of wash tub
Hold gently with one hand on shoulders ( firm and fair voice and few "ah ah" s )
Wash with other with baby wash cloths from the soap water combo in pitcher
Let kitty stand on edge of wash tub and get face face with a plain warm watered cloth
Wash feet belly butt tail with pitcher soap water
As cat is wet I put some hylyt shampoo on my gloved hand and wipe down kitty
Dump soapy pitcher water out and fill with fresh running water from sink
Rinse kitty with pitcher plain water
Scoop kitty up in towel
sit on closed toilet lid with kitty on lap to dry ( easier on my back)

Kitty runs to closest cat tree where there are a few treats waiting and watches me in disgust - X's 4 here :)

I bath 1 time a month with
Warm water baby wash cloth wipe downs in between baths once or twice a week
Face on my wrinkly girl gets done each morning

Ears 2x a week or spot cleaning in between my two boys dirtier ears
Nails 2x a week - sometimes only a few nails grow faster but I still extend check each and wipe nail beds
I put kitty on a towel on my lap and sit on the closed toilet lid and do their nails and ears
With a few treats after

:) I even wear a little headlamp because it easier to see in the ear nooks and crannies and for nail quicks
Then I use the lamp to see inside covered litter boxes to get it all

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 526
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 458
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 357
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 365
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 377
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 371
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 467

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I use Dr Bronners baby mild Castile soap for Frida. I like it because it is gentle and chemical free but it gets rid of the grime with ease.
I use a sponge or a bath poof to scrub her. I find them easier than the gloves for some reason.
I fill the bath just up to the bottom of Frida's chest.
Some people clean and clip claws before the bath but I like to do it after so that the grime is softened up.

Frida doesn't like the bath but she is tolerant of it. Now that she is on a raw diet she gets a bath every month or so, before raw she needed a bath every week!
Hope this helps. :)

Salth2o

Lairian
HyLyt Shampoo, is great for sphynx. You need exfoliating gloves and
a wash cloths. You will need epi- optic ear cleaner and q-tips.
The gloves will help you hold your baby, plus washes them good to.
Use the cloth to was the face. Don't get tell shampoo in the eyes
Make sure you rinse really well. Use the cloth then, take your pinkie
finger and put it in the cloth and clean all you can in the ears.
Then, use the epi-optic on q-tips to clean in the little crevices.
Only where you can see. Also, you can put a couple drops of the Epi- optic
In each ear before bath and massage around. Let him shake his head.
That will loosen it up. Clean ears twice a week. Bathe once a week.
As time goes on, you might be able to go to two weeks. It just depends
how dirty e gets. But, don't bathe more than once a week.
Here is a link for HyLyt Shampoo
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=27287

Here is a link for Epi- Optic
http://m.entirelypets.com/epearclean4o.html

Or you can get the ear cleaner at the Vets.

Perfectly stated only difference for me is that I don't bath once a week. I do it about every two weeks and if she is dirty inbetween that I just wipe her with a washcloth or even a baby wipe. I found the more I bathed her the dirtier she got. The washcloth really works well. The gloves are a must. It makes things way quicker and gets them much cleaner. I get mine at big lots for $1.50 and they last quite a while. Hylyt is amazing stuff. It's all I have ever used and see no need to ever switch. Cleans good and I like the way it smells. Also I always snuggle her afterwords and use that time to trim nails and clean the nail beds (nails are clean and soft and easy to see the quick and get clean). Also don't make a big deal of it. I just get everything ready - put the glove on and grab her and get it done. I use a hand without a glove to hold her and scrub with the other. I felt like I used to get all worked up and nervous and it made it worse. Just do it and she is fine. Now she knows that afterwords she gets lots of love and snuggles and kitty manicure (she loves getting her nails done). Spend time rubbing her paws and ears to get her used to it while she is young.

JaniinaEklund

Lairian
Thank you so much for your help!

I bathed Ade 4 days ago and everything went relatively well. I put everything ready and then added him in the bathtub. He didn't exactly like it but stayed still so that I could clean him properly. After I dried him well and to be honest after treats he wasn't treating me any differently. Started playing and slept with me like usual. THANK GOD :D Ears I do also twice a week with Epi-Optic and nails I check regularly but so far cut only once as I am scared to cut too much and hurt him :(

Moreover, I think these first baths together, nails and ears are more like practising period for us to really get to know each other and how we should establish our weekly "spa" routines together.

In pics there is Ade getting to know the bathtub before bathing and then after bath us both :)

Attachments

• IMG_6164.JPG
    IMG_6164.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 609
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 644

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@JaniinaEklund : happy to hear the first bathing went well! For a first bath it is really great he stayed still so you could wash him. Maybe he will even going to like it:). Glad that my "warning" about Ade not wanting to have anything to do with you afterwards didn't come true!!
Ade is so cute, and you together look so in love:)

JaniinaEklund

Lairian
Btw I couldn't find the shampoo you mentioned but I went to pharmacy and they recommended care4pets products. I am not sure if its only in Finland because I could only find description in Finnish.. :( Anyone heard of it??

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Btw I couldn't find the shampoo you mentioned but I went to pharmacy and they recommended care4pets products. I am not sure if its only in Finland because I could only find description in Finnish.. :( Anyone heard of it??
I would just make sure that there are no essential oils. Most of these are toxic to cats. As is aloe. These are common ingredients in dog and pet washes but are not appropriate for cats. Otherwise it should be safe. I prefer a more natural product like a pure Castile soap. I find this works great for me and my Frida. Like I mentioned before I bath her only every month or so. There are many brands ( I use Dr Bronners which is very popular in Canada and the states). You should be able to find one in your area. I choose an unscented option as most use essential oils and unscented keeps it worry free.

JaniinaEklund

Lairian
I have the bottle here. It says extra sensitive and mild shampoo for all pets (also for frequent washes). Only from pharmacies.
The shampoo is created for pets who require extra sensitive yet moisturising care with their skin and fur (also for puppies). The natural and carefully chosen ingredients does not stress the skin. Totally paraben free and no scent. Includes also moisturising effect and caring glycerine. The correct ph for animals (6-7).

What do you think?

beckicu

Lairian
When I first got my sphnyx I was so worried about bathing that I just got in the tub with them! They actually like bath time & with 3 it's something of a production! They each get a mani/pedi ear cleaning and shampoo massage! Although usually in the sink now-but it's not that unusual to have some one join me in the tub ( I NEVER leave a tub of water unattended!) Ive always used unscented/no tears baby wash & am very careful of eyes & ears- I wash faces & ears w/just a damp washcloth & water (I'll look for hylite shampoo tho). I bath every 2-3 weeks. Each of my cats have different skin types-so I take that into consideration because I don't want to over bath & cause dry skin. Bathday is a time for lots of individual affection and attention so I allow plenty of time to avoid any rushing

Jacks153

Lairian
@JaniinaEklund GREAT Info from everyone on here !! I just wanted to reach out to you and let you know that we have a Complete Sphynx Line here in the Lair mall, it's in the featured forums. We use the best 100 % organic products for your babies. You can take a peek on our website at www.OrganicallyBeautifulByJC.com Many breeders purchase the Gift pack to try all the products and see which they like best. Feel free to reach out to me or send me a message with any questions you may have!

Jacks153

Lairian
Hi guys ! In the Sphynx Lair Mall there is soap specifically for the breed !! Sphynx are a special breed and don't go by the same standards as your everyday cat. Oil builds up on their skin & their nails should be cleaned and trimmed routinely ! Some sphynx have more of a waxy build up then others but you can eyeball it and tell when they need a bath. We use soap specifically designed for the breed it's called PAWFECT . Doesn't strip their natural oils and leaves them smooth & clean ! It's on the sphynx lair website . Here is a pic & the direct link . It's 100% organic and natural. www.OrganicallyBeautifulByJC.com

Feel free to ask me any questions!!
IMG_1724.JPG

Back