Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

The boys are not traveling men (long read)

Inferno12

Banned
So our trip to California started last night when we went up to see Diegos old family before we went to the hotel so we could get our early morning started near the airport. Diegos old mom and dad work for Southwest so they live right by the airport. We visited for a while and Diegos old dad says, "why dont you just stay here and just leave your car here and I will take you to the airport in the morning." That was nice but we had to be on the way to the airport at 33o this morning. Well he had to be to work at 4 so it worked out perfectly. They saved us a whole lot of money. Of course Johnnys grumpy ass was being grumpy and growling and hissing non stop but it was ok right??? We went to be around 10 and of course Johnny wouldnt stop growling and then got himself worked up and had an asthma attack. It was ok because I had the inhaler right??? Yes, I gave him the medicine and it worked wonderfully. I went back to bed and by now its 11 at night. Diego starts wandering the house crying loudly so I get up and put a shirt on him and he comes straight to bed. Good right? ha ha...then my mind starts running and wondering where Johnny was. Is he ok? Is he going to have another attack? Did the medicine I give him stop his heart or kill him (yes I was tired!). So i get up and go find him a little hyped up from the asthma meds which I think is normal?? He wanders the house some more and I wonder about him. Its now 1 am and he finally comes to bed. Knowing I have to get up at 230 I am now stressed that I am not getting sleep.

So we get out of bed at 230 and I give them the sedative that the vet gave us. We started with the lowest dose (1/2 to 1 pill) 1/2 a pill. We gathered our things and David picked up Johnny and his head fell back and his third eye lid came over his eye. OMG I thought I had killed him again (yes I am a little neurotic about him) my nerves once again went crazy. Diego didnt seem bothered at all. We get to the airport and he drops us off. I put the boys in the carriers and they go nuts. Especially Diego give Johnny another 1/4 of a pill and diego a 1/2 pill. Johnny starts to calm down and Diego is still going nuts. He is clawing non stop and freaking out. I sit down and wonder how I am going to do this and I making the biggest mistake ever. I actually started to cry :Cry::Cry: because I didnt know how I was going to do this. I decided that we needed to get through security so we go for it. Diego is howling and he is upsetting Johnny and he is crying. The airport is so busy and everyone is staring at us. Not only is Deigo howling, he is doing death rolls in the carrier and clawing and biting at it. I didnt know how I was going to take them out and get through but they Diego did good and Jess was embarrassed that Johnny was flopping everywhere! We get them back in the carriers and Johnny was doing ok but not Diego. I covered his carrier and hugged it tight which is all I could do. I would lay my face on the carrier and just cry because I felt so bad. He was starting to do ok when we would stop but the minute we moved he would freak out again. David met us at the gate with some first time flier wings for the boys and he was going to have them take a picture with the pilot but there was no way. I was soooo stressed out and so was D. I was even contemplating just going home at that point. :Sweat::Sweat:

He talked to the gate agent and she let us on the plane first so we could get settled. The whole flight Diego was freaking out. I decided that I needed to give him another 1/4 of a pill so he didnt die from stressing out. I gave them a pill and decided to pet him and try to comfort him. He decided to take a huge bite of the carrier mesh and roll with it. Well my hand was in the way and he bit me so hard and drew blood. I once again started crying. This was a mess. When we started to descend he finally relaxed a little. We got out of the plane and things were starting to get better for us. He was to the point that when he would freak out again I would rub on him a little and he would relax for a few minutes until we moved again.

We finally got to the rental car place and got the boys in the car which is all I wanted to do. I knew that once I let them our of the carrier they would be ok. We got in the car and I let them out only to find them not able to stand up because they were so drugged up. I felt so bad but we were on our way to moms. Diego came up to my lap and I noticed there was blood on his feet. He dug so hard at the carrier that he ripped the outside toenail out of both his front feet. OMG I feel like the worst mother in the world. I brought their favorite blanket and laid it out on the back seat and they cuddled and slept. They have been sleeping in a warm bed all day and I am just about to go get them a heated blanket to try and make up for this

I dont know how I am going to do the flight home. I talked to the vet already and we might go with some stronger drugs for D. I feel so bad that I put them through this :Sweat::Cry::Sweat:. Sorry for the long post but I feel that I needed to vent/share to my Lair family

tessblack

Banned
Oh girl I was just going to email after reading Johnnys posts. That does sound just frightening. I don't know what would help for the flight home but I hope maybe it will be better since they have been through it already. Try and relax and enjoy yourself. You could always rent a car.

susi794

Staff member
So our trip to California started last night when we went up to see Diegos old family before we went to the hotel so we could get our early morning started near the airport. Diegos old mom and dad work for Southwest so they live right by the airport. We visited for a while and Diegos old dad says, "why dont you just stay here and just leave your car here and I will take you to the airport in the morning." That was nice but we had to be on the way to the airport at 33o this morning. Well he had to be to work at 4 so it worked out perfectly. They saved us a whole lot of money. Of course Johnnys grumpy ass was being grumpy and growling and hissing non stop but it was ok right??? We went to be around 10 and of course Johnny wouldnt stop growling and then got himself worked up and had an asthma attack. It was ok because I had the inhaler right??? Yes, I gave him the medicine and it worked wonderfully. I went back to bed and by now its 11 at night. Diego starts wandering the house crying loudly so I get up and put a shirt on him and he comes straight to bed. Good right? ha ha...then my mind starts running and wondering where Johnny was. Is he ok? Is he going to have another attack? Did the medicine I give him stop his heart or kill him (yes I was tired!). So i get up and go find him a little hyped up from the asthma meds which I think is normal?? He wanders the house some more and I wonder about him. Its now 1 am and he finally comes to bed. Knowing I have to get up at 230 I am now stressed that I am not getting sleep.

So we get out of bed at 230 and I give them the sedative that the vet gave us. We started with the lowest dose (1/2 to 1 pill) 1/2 a pill. We gathered our things and David picked up Johnny and his head fell back and his third eye lid came over his eye. OMG I thought I had killed him again (yes I am a little neurotic about him) my nerves once again went crazy. Diego didnt seem bothered at all. We get to the airport and he drops us off. I put the boys in the carriers and they go nuts. Especially Diego give Johnny another 1/4 of a pill and diego a 1/2 pill. Johnny starts to calm down and Diego is still going nuts. He is clawing non stop and freaking out. I sit down and wonder how I am going to do this and I making the biggest mistake ever. I actually started to cry :Cry::Cry: because I didnt know how I was going to do this. I decided that we needed to get through security so we go for it. Diego is howling and he is upsetting Johnny and he is crying. The airport is so busy and everyone is staring at us. Not only is Deigo howling, he is doing death rolls in the carrier and clawing and biting at it. I didnt know how I was going to take them out and get through but they Diego did good and Jess was embarrassed that Johnny was flopping everywhere! We get them back in the carriers and Johnny was doing ok but not Diego. I covered his carrier and hugged it tight which is all I could do. I would lay my face on the carrier and just cry because I felt so bad. He was starting to do ok when we would stop but the minute we moved he would freak out again. David met us at the gate with some first time flier wings for the boys and he was going to have them take a picture with the pilot but there was no way. I was soooo stressed out and so was D. I was even contemplating just going home at that point. :Sweat::Sweat:

He talked to the gate agent and she let us on the plane first so we could get settled. The whole flight Diego was freaking out. I decided that I needed to give him another 1/4 of a pill so he didnt die from stressing out. I gave them a pill and decided to pet him and try to comfort him. He decided to take a huge bite of the carrier mesh and roll with it. Well my hand was in the way and he bit me so hard and drew blood. I once again started crying. This was a mess. When we started to descend he finally relaxed a little. We got out of the plane and things were starting to get better for us. He was to the point that when he would freak out again I would rub on him a little and he would relax for a few minutes until we moved again.

We finally got to the rental car place and got the boys in the car which is all I wanted to do. I knew that once I let them our of the carrier they would be ok. We got in the car and I let them out only to find them not able to stand up because they were so drugged up. I felt so bad but we were on our way to moms. Diego came up to my lap and I noticed there was blood on his feet. He dug so hard at the carrier that he ripped the outside toenail out of both his front feet. OMG I feel like the worst mother in the world. I brought their favorite blanket and laid it out on the back seat and they cuddled and slept. They have been sleeping in a warm bed all day and I am just about to go get them a heated blanket to try and make up for this

I dont know how I am going to do the flight home. I talked to the vet already and we might go with some stronger drugs for D. I feel so bad that I put them through this :Sweat::Cry::Sweat:. Sorry for the long post but I feel that I needed to vent/share to my Lair family

Get an antibiotic shot for the cat bite! Or your entire trip might be ruined. So sorry to hear you had such a rough time. At least they didn't have the runs while they were in the carriers from the nerves. That would've made your day complete. Bless your heart--you were trying to be a good mommy--they def. aren't traveling men.

Bella07

Banned
Oh yikes! That sure sounded like one stressful upsetting pain ride! I hope that J & D are back to their normal selves tomorrow, and please take care of your hand from that bite! Try to relax, and hopefully the vet's new medication for Diego will make the ride home calmer.

Gizzymom

Banned
Dawn... you are so NOT a bad mommy!! You just wanted to have a wonderful holiday with your family... including Johnny and Diego!! You had no way of knowing how they would react. I'm so sorry you had to go through this and start out your holiday this way.

Hopefully they will be better on the way back.. I will keep my fingers crossed!!

But now you are there... safe and sound (sort of)... so forget that and enjoy your holiday with your family!!! Give Johnny and Diego smooches from me!!!:Smile:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Your not a bad mommy!! I totally understand your grief tho. I once had a very similar predicament when I moved from Ohio to NC and then 3 months later back from NC to Ohio again. Both times my fur cat Spooky totally freaked the entire 14 hour drive. It was one of the most awful days I've ever had.

I'm glad you made it through security ok and made it to your destination safely. I've been wanting to fly home for a few days myself and I appreciate the possible heads up of how things "could" go. Give J&D hugs and loves from us.

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
OMG it is so not funny but when I got to the flopping I started cracking up! I hope the rest of your trip will be much better. Susi is right, watch that bite carefully. You are an amazing mommy and they will be glad they did not get left behind. Take care...Marna

Inferno12

Banned
Thanks for the support guys. This has been so hard on me. They slept all afternoon and I couldnt get Johnny to get up. I was so stressed. Mom made me leave him and go get some dinner and I stopped to get him the electric blanket. I got home with the blanket and opened the door and he got right up and ate and drank. :BigSmile::BigSmile::BigSmile:

I think I can finally sleep now. They also both peed and ate dinner and drank water. My bite hurts like hell but I dont care at this point. They are starting to be my happy boys again :ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You need to be very careful with bites they can become infected.
I hope the boys act better on the way home and you feel better.

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm a little late on this one but oh, I'm so sorry to hear the trip didn't go smoothly! My stomach was in knots just reading about it...and I have the same phobia that I might have hurt my kitties by accident whenever I give them meds:Sweat: What an awful trip. Hoping things get better!

susi794

Staff member
Dawn--you don't mention getting an antibiotic. You think that bite hurts now?? If it turns into cellulitis OMG! You have no idea how much pain that causes. Please just get a shot. And Sweety--you are a GREAT mommy. Would a lousy one even worry?

TotenEngel

Banned
My word, sounds like fun and games! At least you gave all the other passengers something to talk about!
Look after yourself, after all, if you are sick who will look after the boys?
Good luck with your return journey :S

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Oh Dawn that was just crazy, now that your babies are happy you should have your bite looked at and do not think about the trip home and just enjoy your stay and christmas with your family! Worry about the trip home when the time comes!

laurame

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hugs all around girl!! Geez what a day!! You didn't know this would happen!! Don't feel bad. Just enjoy your holiday, take care of yourself and hopefully things will be better on the way back.

Gizzymom

Banned
Thanks for the support guys. This has been so hard on me. They slept all afternoon and I couldnt get Johnny to get up. I was so stressed. Mom made me leave him and go get some dinner and I stopped to get him the electric blanket. I got home with the blanket and opened the door and he got right up and ate and drank. :BigSmile::BigSmile::BigSmile:

I think I can finally sleep now. They also both peed and ate dinner and drank water. My bite hurts like hell but I dont care at this point. They are starting to be my happy boys again :ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp:

Now that does NOT sound like a bad mommy!!! I can't imagine how you felt when it was all happening... but, just like kids, they get over it quicker than you!!

Have a wonderful vacation and holiday with the family!!!:Laugh:

Inferno12

Banned
You need to get a shot for the bite. At least I know some of the resturants in Bakersfield:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Maybe a trip to the Crystal Palace is in order to make me feel better. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I dont think so!

My bite is actually feeling better this morning so I will keep an eye on it and if it gets worse then I will go get a shot. I am scared of needles so its my last resort :Surprise:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Your flight out sounded like a bad spoof on a holiday travel movie. Try not to worry too much about the trip home before you have to. Be in the moment and enjoy your visit. Please keep an eye on that bite.

Needles, heh? Funny, I'm afraid of raging fires.

tessblack

Banned
Maybe a trip to the Crystal Palace is in order to make me feel better. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I dont think so!

My bite is actually feeling better this morning so I will keep an eye on it and if it gets worse then I will go get a shot. I am scared of needles so its my last resort :Surprise:

Oh but they do have such a great steak!

Inferno12

Banned
Your flight out sounded like a bad spoof on a holiday travel movie. Try not to worry too much about the trip home before you have to. Be in the moment and enjoy your visit. Please keep an eye on that bite.

Needles, heh? Funny, I'm afraid of raging fires.

Yeah go figure too. I have a couple pretty large tattoos too but its the needles that go INTO and PAST the skin that make me want to pass out. Its pretty pathetic. They say us firefighter are some of the worst that they ever see!!!

Inferno12

Banned
Oh by the way Tess, I was going through some old photos the other day and I found a picture of me in that stupid white Cadillac when I was a kid!

Back