Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

The drama to bath one cat.

Helen

Lairian
I do wish people wouldn't lie when they rehome animals.
"Is he okay being bathed, and how oftern have you been bathing him?"
"O yes fine, once a week as you don't want to risk his skin drying out!"

What a load of nonsense Moth absolutely hates being bathed, and the water is always absolutely filthy.
So I decided to try with the shower method which my dogs prefer, that was a complete no go.
So I ended up putting him in the bathroom sink, washing rinsing as best I could and then letting him escape before washing him again with clean warm water.

I am not sure why the water is so dirty, less then three days after his baths his white pigmented skin will start to get a yellow tone with dirty marks. He also leaves a oil residue on the bed sheets where he sleeps all night.

He is a beautiful magnificent creature and I are clearly been forgiven less then 2 minuets after our ordeal.
But my left hand is significantly scratched from the first attempt at escape when he accidentally catches a nail on the soft tissue which goes between your fingers.

I think we will try the sink method again but perhaps in the kitchen sink which is a tad larger then the bathroom.

Thoughts?

An this is all because my mum asked if I'd like to bring Moth along with the dogs to there home for a early Christmas dinner tonight. My dad lacks tact and will say his skin looks dirty or last time my white chi looked unclean. He wasn't far from it just the low lights make him more cream coloured but well I guess any animal mummy knows comments like that bite. So every body is washed and looking there best.

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The water should always be warm never cold I'm just saying cause you mentioned warm water once so just on the off chance it always needs to be warm. He may have been ok with it in his previous home but isn't in yours let me use my Riley as and example he hates his ears and nails cleaned and hates nails clipping his breeder came to visit a few days ago cleaned his ears and nails and trimmed his nails all three in the exact same manner as I do and the little )&@&£) purred the whole time!!! Yet if I do it he acts like I'm about to kill him. People don't always lie and yes they don't always tell the truth but until you witness how he is in a bath with them it hard to say. Why doesn't Riley like me doing his ears and nails yet purrs yes purrs when she does it!!!? Who knows I don't do it any differently to her... They are just funny creatures. You may or may not find the way that works but try Tau my older boy hates a bath always has acts as if I'm about to dip him in acid so what I do is put a towel on the floor lather him up in soap then put him in bath to rinse off then let him jump out then wrap him up in a towel to dry off it quick it's easiest I found to bath a bath hater as for their oils if bathed to much they produce too much oil each cat like each human is different Yau hardly gets grubby do he hardly gets a bath maybe once every three months or so Riley gets grub bier quicker do he gets one once a month of once every second month. I don't see the point in the stress it causes. As for whit linen I don't have any all mine are dark but I've never seen marks on mine

Caloci

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My Odin is hell to bathe. I have had him nearly a year and he has had maybe 6 baths and only one semi successful. As a result Vito no longer gets bathed as often either as I don't think it is fair to make one have a bath and not the other. Odin's big issue seems to be getting his feet wet. Here is what we do....

Get in the tub with a watering can filled with nice warm water, a face cloth and some cat shampoo. I have several brands so it depends on my mood which I use. Then we close the shower doors, these are helpful if you are so lucky (I hate them otherwise) to have them. Dip the cloth in the water and wash face and wet him down. Then I soap him up and scrub him with a bath glove, wash his little paws and try to loosen the nail gunk. I let it sit for a bit and yes he gets a bit chilly but doesn't really seem to care. Then I scruff him (gently) and rinse him with the watering can. I find a large watering can helpful as I find you really have to rinse with the Degrease shampoo. The is the least traumatizing method for both of us and safest for me as this is the only method that I didn't get scratched or have a drenched cat running across my electric piano.

He is dirty again in 2-3 days. But he seems to stay cleaner with a bath every few months rather than every few weeks and the water is no dirtier either way. He has great skin.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
They will get dirty again more quickly if they don't get rinsed super clean. Which is of course difficult when you have a cat that hates baths.

Tips:

Clip their nails before baths so that they can do less damage to you.

Have a few pitchers of warm clean water ready to rinse them with when they are done washing. Rinsing them with the tub/ sink water doesn't work as well.

Make sure the water is warm, but not too warm. I was using too warm of water, and they were way more relaxed when I made it cooler.

Try it in a bath tub, or even a rubbermaid container. Mine clawed and freaked out in the sink, but are better in the tub.

Run the water before they come in the room... but make sure they can't hide when it is time to wash. I have to shut all the bedroom doors so Molly can't hide under the bed when she hears the tap running.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Try a baby bath tub. I have severe back problems, so I started Cleopatra in the kitchen sink. She hated it to the point that I still have scars on my wrist three years later. Then we found a Martha Stewart dog bath on clearance at Petsmart. It is really just a baby bathtub with MS logos on it. This has been the best investment! We put it on the kitchen counter--it is just the right size for 1 cat and it has a non-slip bottom, so they feel secure. I always do nails and ears the day before, and I do use pretty warm water. Cleo still cusses (that girl has a vocabulary that makes a sailor blush), and Marcus looks woebegone, but they are pretty good.

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Moses also is not a fan of bathtime and we go for the kitchen sink too - when I was first diagnosed with a critical illness a few years ago - it manifested with incredible back pain and I could not bend over the bath tub to wash the babies so we moved to the kitchen sink. Little did I know this improved bath time all around for every one. The kitties liked it much better and it was not as excruciating for me to try and lean over.

Since then, I can now lean over but Moses prefers the kitchen still. Fluffy takes showers WITH me now. She likes the water hot. She purrs on my shoulder in the shower and falls asleep and also laps at the water when she is on my shoulder- what a weird soul.

Jen

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
IMG_0866.JPG
IMG_0868.JPG
IMG_0864.JPG
IMG_0581.JPG

You need one of these. I, love mine, it, has a stopper inside, you pull it up and the water runs out.
I, then, take the sprayer and rinse Izmae. I, get her rinsed, a lot, better.
It will go on the kitchen counter or bathroom counter.
It is a collapsible Tub. Will fold up and has a attachment on the side to keep it closed.
Easy clean up and storage. Iv'e had mine about a year probable. I wouldn't want to do with it know.
Here is a few pics

Attachments

• IMG_0879.JPG
    IMG_0879.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0864.JPG
    IMG_0864.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0868.JPG
    IMG_0868.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 32

suzfoote

Lairian
Had this problem before... start out with less water in the tub, just covering their feet. Also have someone in the room with you so one person can hold, and one wash. They both like to stand on their back feet with the front ones up on the side.. and have the other person give them treats every little bit to let them know they are doing good

Helen

Lairian
Thank you for all the replies.
The water was indeed warm, that's how Moth was standing with his front paws on the edge of the sink.
I think he was calmer if unhappy in the bath but I am going to try less water and jugs of warm water on the side for rinsing off.

I also need to do a bit more research into this gunk people talk about on there Cats toes, I wash his feet in the bath and check under the skin which retracts with a baby wipe when he is relaxed and I can't see any dirt or grim. I also cleaned in between the underneath of his feet.

Moth really like to groom himself including his feet just like your average cat he will sit in yoga positions and lick away.
He isn't over grooming no sore spots or red marks.

Is it possible he is just doing a good job with his kitty manicures?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Hairless Blessing , I am still trying to find that orange one at a reasonable price :)
Right now using the Rubbermaid tough tote on the counter but like the drain in yours!

Woo hoo- anyone looking for the orange Stokke flexi bath - Update -finally found it amazon! Ordered for free with application gift card:)
After Xmas Sphynx present! Bet the 4 nakeds can't wait! Hee heee

Last edited:

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Hairless Blessing , I am still trying to find that orange one at a reasonable price :)
Right now using the Rubbermaid tough tote on the counter but like the drain in yours!

Woo hoo- anyone looking for the orange Stokke flexi bath - Update -finally found it amazon! Ordered for free with application gift card:)
After Xmas Sphynx present! Bet the 4 nakeds can't wait! Hee heee

You'll love it. I do mine, better than any other way of bathing, Izmae.
I used the bathtub before. But, I didn't like the kneeling on the floor.
Tile is not good even with a cushion. When you have a bad back.
Easier clean up too.

Back