Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

The Dreaded HCM

ama89

Lairian
Hi everyone, it has been a long time since I have been active on this forum, although I signed up many years ago after adopting my three sphynx boys.

Sadly, this past weekend has been quite awful. Last week, I noticed one of my boys coughing more often than usual - something I had seen him do occasionally in the past but hadn't thought alot of.

I noticed that one day, he coughed and then his breathing sounded a bit congested. So I took him to the vet the next day for a check up. They couldn't hear any fluid in his lungs, and suggested that he may have been asthmatic. They gave him a cortisone shot, and suggested that I bought a pediatric mask and spacer and give him ventolin if he is having a coughing attack. My vet said that the cortisone should stop any more attacks for a week, and if they started again after that we would know that it was asthma.

The following day I was watching TV, when Judge started coughing again. It wasn't a long cough but afterwards I noticed the fluidy crackle sound again. I attempted to give him some ventolin through the spacer, but it didn't help at all - and if anything it just stressed him out more. Afterwards, we snuggled on the couch as I monitored his breathing. I timed that he was breathing more than 100 tiny breaths per minute, and I made the decision to call the emergency after hours Vet.

When I got there, the Vet said he was in a bad way and really struggling to breathe. He agreed that it was heart related, but didn’t perform any Xrays or Ultrasounds as they did not want to stress him out, for fears he could have died at any moment. They gave him some medication and we put him straight into an oxygen chamber. This was three days ago. This morning, he was able to come out of the oxygen chamber, and at last I spoke to the vet he was doing well with his breathing outside the Chamber. They are going to attempt to perform an ultrasound today. I believe the cortisone is likely what tipped him over the edge, which is really unfortunate.

I just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar experience to me. I have a friend who also had a cat with HCM, and he passed away after just 3 months on medication. It’s really hard to find any good news stories – but I’ve found so many stories of people losing their cats within a short period of diagnosis.

My biggest fear is losing him, and I know that it is probably inevitable now that it will be sooner, rather than later. The vet did say that he has improved quote a bit, which is hopefully an indication that the medication is going it’s job.

I just wanted to share this story, because it’s all I can think about at the moment, and I’m struggling to focus on anything else. I just want my boy home, but I’m so scared of him suffering, or having a blood clot or a heart attack.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
My heart goes out to you and to your baby. Meds can definitely help prolong the quality of life for many. Our one girl has a form of heart disease (RCM) and the meds have helped it not progress at this time, but I know eventually things could change in a second, just like in humans.

We had a 13 year old Sphynx that developed HCM and was on meds for almost 2 years if I recall. One day we noticed his breathing was not right so we got him in to the vet. They said it was the very beginning of CHF and we got him in early. They would take the fluid off and said we could pick him up a little later because he was responding well to the meds. A 1/2 hour later we got a call from the vet saying he was shocked and all of a sudden he took a turn for the worse out of no where. We rushed to the vets in time to ease him to peace. It was that fast. No matter how how much time, it will never feel like it is long enough. Your baby knows nothing but your love and that is everything. Just love and make the best decisions possible. Please update us.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@ama89 sending lots of healing vibes to Judge and positive vibes to you. Keeping all fingers and paws crossed here for Judge being able to do well on meds for the coming years.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@ama89 , (((hugs))) and a lair full of positive vibes for your sweet Judge.
he knows all your love

We do usually only see the threads when issues arise
Often we do not see the positive stories posted when all is going well with medications .

Many years ago my bengals boy was on meds for his heart - it really improved his quality of life and time we had together . We treasured each day - a gift -
they only know our love and count on us to be their best friend when they need it most.

Head smooches sent ((hugs))
Will be following closely for updates

ama89

Lairian
Thanks for your replies everyone. Judge is home but he really isn’t herself, he is so lethargic and we are just cuddling. I’m going to treasure every minute with him as the vet said it could be a month, or it could be 12 months. He had a nice rest in the sun of our bay window today. I also took my 3 year old to the vet, he is staying overnight for further testing as it appears that both of my boys have heart disease. I’m praying my third and youngest will be ok. Attaching a picture of my babe all snuggled up.
593E7D15-F5AD-40DB-8FAB-7DA0B1430D02.jpeg
A2DDE453-8E9A-4A27-A00A-A0ABFE280D2C.jpeg
E88EA4EF-AF5C-4360-95D4-C041C9F9B136.jpeg

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Glad to hear Judge is home. Give him lots of love and cuddle and try to take it day by day. Hope your other two will turn out to be healthy.

Back