Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

The heat is on...

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Zab that was my attempt at humor. In reality it's disgusting having to go in the Florida sauna. You get sweaty instantly, your clothes stick, your hair flops....but there's nothing you can do except go about your day.

I'd like to visit that church but the Mickey D's in the skyscraper would be a hard pass for me lolol

Thanks for sharing. It's so picturesque .....like you live in a postcard place :)

Last edited:

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Zab that was my attempt at humor. In reality it's disgusting having to go in the Florida sauna. You get sweaty instantly, your clothes stick, your hair flops....but there's nothing you can do except go about your day.

I'd like to visit that church but the Mickey D's in the skyscraper would be a hard pass for me lolol

Thanks for sharing. It's so picturesque .....like you live in a postcard place :)
Jesus, I had to google the Mickey D... :ROFLMAO: I guess we don't think so highly of it living here, maybe we have to learn how to appreciate it. There are just so much I miss living here and not in the land of plenty. It's so easy today to order stuff online but from outside Europe, not happening due to all the taxes and shipping costs. I for one can't even find a decent pair of jeans for myself since I'm way too short and have a big behind. It's just not happening since all the clothing here are made for another standard human being that is not me...

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I guess we don't think so highly of it living here, maybe we have to learn how to appreciate it.
No, you don't. I was craving a cheeseburger a few days ago and I was near a Mickey D's so I went there, and after the first bite I remembered why I stopped going. Their meat tastes like chemicals. I don't know how it's possible to screw up a cheeseburger so badly.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
There are just so much I miss living here and not in the land of plenty.
LOL whut? Plenty of Chinese imports. They have to pass by you to get to us here.

Allow me to tell you, I used to work for a Danish company. One day I sat down with a colleague there and we calculated what my taxes would be if I was living in Denmark, and what I would get (national insurance, college and stuff like that). What we figured out is I would have the SAME amount of money left over. Now if you are a "one percenter" you are better off in the US because of low taxes, but the average working American's standard of living is very similar to the average Dane or Swede. So I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
No, you don't. I was craving a cheeseburger a few days ago and I was near a Mickey D's so I went there, and after the first bite I remembered why I stopped going. Their meat tastes like chemicals. I don't know how it's possible to screw up a cheeseburger so badly.
I wonder if your McD is the same as ours? Maybe our food laws differ? I know here there has to be ingredients listing on everything.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
LOL whut? Plenty of Chinese imports. They have to pass by you to get to us here.

Allow me to tell you, I used to work for a Danish company. One day I sat down with a colleague there and we calculated what my taxes would be if I was living in Denmark, and what I would get (national insurance, college and stuff like that). What we figured out is I would have the SAME amount of money left over. Now if you are a "one percenter" you are better off in the US because of low taxes, but the average working American's standard of living is very similar to the average Dane or Swede. So I hope that makes sense.
Yes it makes sense! I just think that we have less variation on everything here and it's not necessary for the better... on the other hand our social security is awesome, you get a lot for your taxes here and don't need insurance for everything. The medical care, school and so on, it's really great!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yes it makes sense! I just think that we have less variation on everything here and it's not necessary for the better...
I think the reason there is more variation here is the population is 300 million and it's a country of immigrants.

They are trying to sell to all different tastes, but the menus are somewhat tailored to the regions. The menu in a McDonald's here in South Florida has some items that are influenced by Caribbean and South/Central American cuisine. I remember a couple of years ago they got rid of corn fritters in all the McDonalds around town because they had green plantains. I was mad because I can get green plantains in a bunch of other restaurants but McDonalds was the only place I could get corn fritters. A couple of months ago they brought back the corn fritters - yay!

Last edited:

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I wonder if your McD is the same as ours? Maybe our food laws differ? I know here there has to be ingredients listing on everything.
Not the same. The Danish company I worked for was a food company; the meat imported from Europe was hormone-free. Farm animals here are fed hormones to make them fatter. Because of the fat American beef is more tender. European beef is a little tougher to chew but it is healthier. They both taste like meat though so I don't know what is the reason for a McDonald's burger to taste so bad.

Traci Smith

Lairian
So I heard McD is super different around the world!!!! I have know many travelers and some places it’s awesome — almost a destination place to eat! And here in the hood ‘ol USA it’s practically plastic! I can’t remember where it was crazy good! Lol but yeah it’s all about food laws and beef requirements!

Culver’s is big here now, a import from the Midwest! Super yummy! But just a USA gig I think!

@Zab it is so awesome there! You are a lucky lady!!!! The only great part of here is our backyard!
12987394a2a20d9c980ad25dfd5c1f76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Now I wanna visit Sweden! And I have no travel budget this year. We moved out of Las Vegas, Nevada after living there for 21 years. Hot doesn’t begin to describe southwestern desert temperatures. Our July averages hovered around 115-120 F or 46-49 C. And Phoenix is even hotter! I literally spent summers going from my air-conditioned home to the air-conditioned car to someplace else that was air-conditioned. We were so happy to leave, and even though the city we live in now gets humid heat in the summer and snow in the winter, it’s still better than the furnace conditions in Las Vegas. But the cats did love that heat.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So I heard McD is super different around the world!!!! I have know many travelers and some places it’s awesome — almost a destination place to eat! And here in the hood ‘ol USA it’s practically plastic! I can’t remember where it was crazy good! Lol but yeah it’s all about food laws and beef requirements!

Culver’s is big here now, a import from the Midwest! Super yummy! But just a USA gig I think!

@Zab it is so awesome there! You are a lucky lady!!!! The only great part of here is our backyard!
12987394a2a20d9c980ad25dfd5c1f76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, wow! I need a pool too, like right now! And AC so I can sleep...

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Not the same. The Danish company I worked for was a food company; the meat imported from Europe was hormone-free. Farm animals here are fed hormones to make them fatter. Because of the fat American beef is more tender. European beef is a little tougher to chew but it is healthier. They both taste like meat though so I don't know what is the reason for a McDonald's burger to taste so bad.
You know your food industry! I try to keep an eye out for gluten free and lactose free, many of us up here have it genetically, sadly. On the other hand new products come all the time in our stores. It's a big health debate going on here, all the time...

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Now I wanna visit Sweden! And I have no travel budget this year. We moved out of Las Vegas, Nevada after living there for 21 years. Hot doesn’t begin to describe southwestern desert temperatures. Our July averages hovered around 115-120 F or 46-49 C. And Phoenix is even hotter! I literally spent summers going from my air-conditioned home to the air-conditioned car to someplace else that was air-conditioned. We were so happy to leave, and even though the city we live in now gets humid heat in the summer and snow in the winter, it’s still better than the furnace conditions in Las Vegas. But the cats did love that heat.
Oh no, that is so hot I can't even imagine it! Hubby and me traveled to Turkey one summer and that was the temperature there at the time. We lay by the pool for two weeks drinking water and eating melons and then we went home. I say never again. My favorite is september here. The best time of year. All the trees shift colors, you still have some warmth from the summer, all the new tv shows start and the stores get new collections, no allergies. It's the best! I'm a fall girl!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Zab there was a time I never heard of lactose or gluten. Now it's everywhere. I don't know how so many people can have this all of a sudden. And what's really crazy - if you wait long enough they discover something wrong with everything. Maybe tomorrow we can't breathe the air....who knows. It's no freaking wonder everybody is confused.

Last edited:

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh no, that is so hot I can't even imagine it! Hubby and me traveled to Turkey one summer and that was the temperature there at the time. We lay by the pool for two weeks drinking water and eating melons and then we went home. I say never again. My favorite is september here. The best time of year. All the trees shift colors, you still have some warmth from the summer, all the new tv shows start and the stores get new collections, no allergies. It's the best! I'm a fall girl!
Desert heat is definitely the worst. I loved our Fall last year in the Midwest. The trees put on a spectacular show. It was fairly warm until mid-October, when we got the first mini-blizzard. I’m also a Fall girl, but I also love colder weather. I spin, knit and weave wool and other animal hairs, so it’s wonderful to be able to wear them again.
Picture of Cleopatra on my lap, under a hand knitted wool blanket, helping me knit a wool/angora lace cowl.

37A21362-482C-4475-81F0-B77BA8EFC93B.jpeg

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I love Fall because football comes back. I don't watch all the games though; I only care about my team.

Attachments

• UGA postcard.jpg
    UGA postcard.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 52

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Back