Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

The Politics of Litter

Graddydani

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Very interesting, and just today I was wondering if I should get litter kwitter or the automated litter box. Guess I'm going to try to be one with my Graddy and just vacuum those damn litter pellets everyday. Though I must say I do disagree on having to keep the litter for so long. Don't know what is wrong with Jackson's smell senses but I can smell that litter box after one pee.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Very interesting, and just today I was wondering if I should get litter kwitter or the automated litter box. Guess I'm going to try to be one with my Graddy and just vacuum those damn litter pellets everyday. Though I must say I do disagree on having to keep the litter for so long. Don't know what is wrong with Jackson's smell senses but I can smell that litter box after one pee.

I bought a huge rubbermaid tote and cut a circle hole in the lid, really helps with the litter getting all over and cuts down on how many times you have to drag the vacuums out.

Sphynx Happy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've seen this before.

I appreciate that he's speaking on behalf of cats. We should appreciate them more for the creatures that they are and not try to humanize them by toilet training.

I disagree on his point about automated litterboxs. You can just as easily (may depend on what automated litter box you use) check out the poop and pee from an automated litterbox as you can a regular litterbox.

Also automated litterbox's are a compromise, as he suggests we do. It's still natural for them because it's litter based but takes out some of the work for those of us who are clean freaks (like myself). I don't feel there is anything wrong with automated litterbox's and I for one will be getting them. Yeehaw Litter Robot!! lol

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I tried a automatic litter box before and I guess my kitties pee and poop more than others because after 3 months, that thing was soo gooked up and nasty, I threw it out and went back to the regular litter (Tidy Cat) and box.

We tried the scoopable litter in a regular pan, but for some reason this litter caused
our oldest boy to pee outside the box :Dizzy::Dizzy:

I am a clean freak so we fully changes the litter once a day (fresh litter, new litter bag and everything) It does get a bit pricey on litter, but with 4 cats and 1 box, it is the only thing we can find that works and keeps all the kitties happy :BigSmile:

Sphynx Happy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I tried a automatic litter box before and I guess my kitties pee and poop more than others because after 3 months, that thing was soo gooked up and nasty, I threw it out and went back to the regular litter (Tidy Cat) and box.

We tried the scoopable litter in a regular pan, but for some reason this litter caused

I am a clean freak so we fully changes the litter once a day (fresh litter, new litter bag and everything) It does get a bit pricey on litter, but with 4 cats and 1 box, it is the only thing we can find that works and keeps all the kitties happy :BigSmile:

Just curious, what automated litterbox were you using?

Graddydani

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

I can see why. Four is a lot and if I don't scoop Graddy's twice a day he won't go.

kroozkitty

Lairian
While I agree with much of what Jackson is saying, I am puzzled about the same thing - the previous cats I had did not like using the litter box unless it was cleaned out every day. :Question:

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I bought a huge rubbermaid tote and cut a circle hole in the lid, really helps with the litter getting all over and cuts down on how many times you have to drag the vacuums out.

I did this also, except, I cut a square in the end, centered.
Top entry, would be less litter, on the floor. But, I didn't know, if
my Princess Izmae, would approve.

I am glad, you post this video Admit, I totally agree with the (not)
toilet training. Almost everyone, that does this, it always causes problems
eventually. They will start, going elsewhere. We try to humanize animals
to much, I think. I do scoop daily and I am a clean freek also.
I don't clean, the entire tote out, with bleach weekly, because it's hugh and I
put like 2-3 boxes at a time in there. Izmae likes her litter deep.
But, this is just my opinion and my household, everyone is entitled
to their own.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I did this also, except, I cut a square in the end, centered.
Top entry, would be less litter, on the floor. But, I didn't know, if
my Princess Izmae, would approve.

I am glad, you post this video Admit, I totally agree with the (not)
toilet training. Almost everyone, that does this, it always causes problems
eventually. They will start, going elsewhere. We try to humanize animals
to much, I think. I do scoop daily and I am a clean freek also.
I don't clean, the entire tote out, with bleach weekly, because it's hugh and I
put like 2-3 boxes at a time in there. Izmae likes her litter deep.
But, this is just my opinion and my household, everyone is entitled
to their own.

I have tried it with the hole on the side but had the same amount of litter kicked out as a regular box. I figured I would try the hole on top and if they did not like it I would change back but I had no complaints from Leo or Athena, they went in it right away.
It is also good if you have dogs because they can not get in the box.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I also agree about the toilet training-it's not at all natural for cats. They naturally need to dig and bury, and in the wild, cats will not pee or poop in water-they will drink it instead. We tried 4 automated litter boxes and, while they worked they were great, but, they ALL broke down within 3-4 months. We still have one automatic-and we scoop it out by hand every day because it stopped working. We also rarely scrub out the box because we use a multi-cat super clumping litter. With it, we scoop 2-4 times
PHP:
a day and there is no litterbox smell unless a cat hits the side of the box. Then a disinfecting wipe helps immensely.

Caloci

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We use a regular litter box with Worlds Best. We tried the LK but once Vito decided he didn't want to go I realized that not being able to monitor his output was a problem.

He rarely goes to the box when we are not home and it is usually scooped out immediately after. Yes he makes a mess, but that just means I have to vacuum more often and that is not a bad thing.

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

I'm on my second Littermaid while having my kids. The first lasted about 3-4 months, and this second one has lasted just under a year and broke down last night. I haven't pulled it apart to see if it will work again, but I have a feeling it won't...

I have a big, loooooonnnnggg tupperware container in addition to the Littermaid. The second box is something like 3 feet long and about 1.5 feet deep. I too, put something like 2-3 boxes of litter in it, and rarely ever change out the entire box. I just keep scooping it and it is totally fine. It's not dirty and it seems to be made out of a slippery plastic so nothing sticks.

Jen

magber

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I am cracking up because I did not know you had 4 cat!! and here I was encouraging to get more!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

magber

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well, I am very easy to convince!:LOL::LOL: So, I am not going to try the toilet training thing. I have 2 cats and the baby will be here soon, and I know it will be a lot of work training them, so I am not going to even go there if in the end is not even going to be that good.

I agree with almost everything he says.

I have read in other places about the rubbermaid containers as well. People use them inside furniture for a hidden place for their cats, I think this is a great idea that will be eventually use in my own house :)

Right now I have 2 cats/2 litter boxes, but I am having issues with Nala, she pees everywhere and my husband is getting mad :( I need to buy something to attract her to the box (which she does use) I dont know why she is not consistent with it. Right now the littler boxes are side by side. Do you think I should put them far apart from each other?

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I had a littermaid and it was a pain and then it broke seriously 2 days after the warranty lapsed. I even had a litter robot and Loki was terrified of it. So it went bye-bye. So, I scoop once a day and have 4 HUGE litter boxes. Everyone is happy with where they are located and because they are so big my litter lasts a week in the 2 heavily used boxes and 2-3 wks in the light used boxes. I mix Sweat scoop with that new walnut stuff. I vacuum a lot but they are worth it. I think taking away their marking behavior is kinda going against nature.
Just my 2 cents.

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I am cracking up because I did not know you had 4 cat!! and here I was encouraging to get more!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Yup...I'm on a cat freeze..no more creatures in the house that have 4 legs and a tail (I already tried to pull off the manx) :LOL:

Timmy & the Twins

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I considered trying the Litter Kwitter but thought better of it b/c Timmy is such a digger. I knew it would be an uphill battle to get him to go and not be able to dig first. So, we never actually tried to potty train.

We have 2 cats and 2 pretty big deep regular cat boxes. One upstairs and one downstairs. I scoop the downstairs one every evening like clockwork. It is usually pretty full seeing as it is the bigger of the two boxes and provides the most privacy. The upstairs box gets scooped every other day unless it needs it before that, which usually it doesn't.

I absolutely love the show My Cat from Hell and Jackson Galaxy. However, that being said you can't always take the advice of someone else assuming they are all knowing. It's your house and your pet and you probably know best; or at least I'd like to think I do. And when I am sure I don't know the solution I can always come here and get great advice from all of you. :Laugh:

indysphynx

Lairian
thought i might try the cedar cat litter when my new babe girl gets home in december, i believe it's tidy cat that the breeder is using now, anyone use cedar litter?

mztude

Lairian
I use the scoopable cat litter from Petco ,it is the best litter I have ever tried and I've tried everything.... ;-)

We have a couple and we use the World's Best. We use an open design litter box and I scoop ever other day. I add to it everytime I scoop and after the bag is done I dump it all and put in new. All in all a bag lasts about 7 - 9 days. There is quite a mess as both cats like to go to the bathroom and then sprint at full speed from it. lol. All in alll vacuuming more is not terrible and the cats use the litter box without fail.

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Elfie won't use a box if it had high sides or a lid of any kind, she doesn't like to feel trapped in any way.
I do have to say that I have one cat and 3 litter boxes because she has the kitty version of IBS and when she has to go she has to go and even with that many boxes (and she really makes use of all of them) as long as I keep up with my scooping 2/3 times a day I don't smell anything. I've even had guests who are just shocked when they do notice that they are sitting just a foot or two from one of the boxes.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I have been considering training my cat to use the toilet. Funny thing is, it wouldn't be for MY benefit. I've just noticed that Ellie really doesn't like being in the litter box, gets out as soon as possible, and is really funny about her feet for a while afterwards. She's really funny about her feet in general actually. It would just be a way to minimize debris that could get caught in her pads. I have heard floors and keep them very clear because she can't even stand dust bunnies.

Sphynx Asylum Dad

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We've been using horse stall liner- it's a compressed wood pellets much like natures best or something but about 1/3 the cost ($5 per 40lb bag). The cats all use it without fail- it smells good, kinda woody but never like urine. Their poo stinks to high heaven until they cover it- then that's gone too. We just had a cat hater in the house today, and she didn't even realize they were here until we told her!

Back