Welcome to the Sphynxlair community! A community dedicated to the Sphynx breed!

The Royal Catio

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It has been brought to my attention (thanks @Xandria) that we have never posted pictures of Cleo's and Marcus' favorite place in the Whole Wide World!! So here is a pictorial tour of The Catio.
First, a little history. (I'm a teacher: I cram history into everything!) When we bought this house in 2003, the back patio was a concrete slab with a tin roof. The backyard was weeds then, and it still is weeds--that is another story entirely. We had a white longhair cat, Kermit the Terrible, who loved to be outside. But one day, he was hit by a car. He wasn't killed, but his knee was dislocated and took almost 6 months to heal. We tried to keep him inside, but he hated it and escaped whenever he could. So we decided to enclose the back patio, so he could be outside, yet still be safe.
The patio was enclosed by a company here in Las Vegas, with panels that have baseboards that are about 16 inches high and solar screening to the roof. There are 2 screen doors for access to the yard, and a French door to the kitchen/dining area of the house. When we open both French doors, the feeling is that the patio is another room. We put a cheap rug in half the patio, and furnished it with catproof wicker furniture. The other half has our bistro dining set, storage bins, brooms and hoses, along with a drawing table. There are 4 cat posts scattered around. Everything stays out there year-round, and the posts have been there for about 7 years, through rain, freezes and scorching heat. And they still haven't broken down (yet).
Pictures! The French doors
IMG_1844.JPG

IMG_1845.JPG

IMG_1846.JPG

More to come...

Last edited:

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
More Pictures!
IMG_1847.JPG

IMG_1849.JPG

IMG_1850.JPG

IMG_1851.JPG

As you can see, Cleo loves her catio. Marcus loves it too. They hate being kept inside when it's too hot or too cold, and demand to go out every morning before the sun comes up. We all love it so much that we have determined that wherever we go after I retire from teaching, we want to have an enclosed area like this! All the wicker furniture came from Pier 1 and the dining table and chairs, along with a wooden bench, came from Lowes. If you have a catio or other enclosed space, please show us!

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So cool. I have to say the only thing I miss about the house I lived in last was it had a screened in porch and the cat's and I spent a lot of time out on it.
Your catio looks great!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
How fun!!! That is truly an awesome catio. Given where you live it's perfect. And I'm kinda glad you just grow weeds or whatever is there naturally (another story).

I was very delighted that Cleo assisted you with the photography and tour. She looks like a purrrfect supervisor.

Thank you so much for sharing. Honestly, it looks like heaven.

Similarly, if Hubby and I ever move where we wish to, we'll have a similar catio constructed, because it's just plain awesome.

Thank you.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thanks Everybody! We do love the catio--it was the best renovation we've done to the house (so far). And it has increased the value of the house.
Of course, Queen Cleo had to show me the bestest places to photograph! She loves it when her peeps come out to play with her.
As far as the "natural" look of the back yard--in this part of the desert, our ground is mostly this concrete-like substance called caliche. It is a dirt strata that is almost harder than rock, and doesn't hold onto water. And our backyard is solid caliche. Weeds grow and die fast, but we can't plant more substantial plants without building raised beds or bringing in tons of topsoil. The yard is also tiny, so it just stays natural, for now.