Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

The verdict is. . . my cat is fat?

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Alright, let's start with the positive news. Stella is yeast infection-free! They said she looks great in that department. As for the fluid in her ears, they said nothing has changed since the last visit. No inflammation, no redness, but the primary vet believes it's just some wax. He recommended that I use Mal-Acetic Otic. Does anyone have any experience with this cleaner? I was using Epi-Otic.

Okay, now for the annoying news. I mentioned Stella has a small area on her stomach that looks irritated and bumpy (similar to the yeast infection). That was completely gone over a week ago with the steroids, but it started to come back. They believe (and I quote) "Stella still has a small area on her stomach that appears to have a contact dermatitis from the fold in the skin on her stomach created by her increased weight". REALLY? She gained a total of 1 1/2 pounds since a couple of months ago making her 9 pounds instead of 7 1/2 pounds. Is that bad? Anyway, they recommend that I decrease her food intake. . .

I don't over-flow their dishes. I put in an amount that I think will get them through the day and if they happen to empty it out by the evening, I put a little more in. I tried explaining to this student/tech that I need to leave food out throughout the day because of her high metabolism. I tried explaining to her that Sphynx cats are known to have "Buddha Bellies". I said there are quite a few out there who weigh more than this little one. She responds "Yes, but that's not healthy. They may be known for these bellies only because you can see it". This girl was not very personable. It's unfortunate, because I've never had any problems with this place. It's at the University. They have the primary vets who ALWAYS get the final say and are ALWAYS there during the visits and along with them is their tech/student who have always been knowledgeable in previous visits. It's just too bad this lady pissed me off. Stella didn't even care for her. When we entered the room, Stella hissed and growled. Stella NEVER hisses except for the time she met Izzy. After the visit, Stella hissed a few more times out of the blue in an opposite direction of myself. I wish I could have translated what she was saying. :LOL:

Furthermore, they recommended I use a mild shampoo such as Allergroom or Hy-lyt weekly. They also recommended that I use an over the counter steroid cream (Cortaid) with aloe or Eucerin cream on the skin fold irritation areas. Should I be worried about what they had to tell me? It all sounded believable until this tech had to open her mouth (sorry, I'm being bitter). Stella can't be fat? lol She's bald and beautiful, just like all of the other Sphynx on this site.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Alright, let's start with the positive news. Stella is yeast infection-free! They said she looks great in that department. As for the fluid in her ears, they said nothing has changed since the last visit. No inflammation, no redness, but the primary vet believes it's just some wax. He recommended that I use Mal-Acetic Otic. Does anyone have any experience with this cleaner? I was using Epi-Otic.

Okay, now for the annoying news. I mentioned Stella has a small area on her stomach that looks irritated and bumpy (similar to the yeast infection). That was completely gone over a week ago with the steroids, but it started to come back. They believe (and I quote) "Stella still has a small area on her stomach that appears to have a contact dermatitis from the fold in the skin on her stomach created by her increased weight". REALLY? She gained a total of 1 1/2 pounds since a couple of months ago making her 9 pounds instead of 7 1/2 pounds. Is that bad? Anyway, they recommend that I decrease her food intake. . .

I don't over-flow their dishes. I put in an amount that I think will get them through the day and if they happen to empty it out by the evening, I put a little more in. I tried explaining to this student/tech that I need to leave food out throughout the day because of her high metabolism. I tried explaining to her that Sphynx cats are known to have "Buddha Bellies". I said there are quite a few out there who weigh more than this little one. She responds "Yes, but that's not healthy. They may be known for these bellies only because you can see it". This girl was not very personable. It's unfortunate, because I've never had any problems with this place. It's at the University. They have the primary vets who ALWAYS get the final say and are ALWAYS there during the visits and along with them is their tech/student who have always been knowledgeable in previous visits. It's just too bad this lady pissed me off. Stella didn't even care for her. When we entered the room, Stella hissed and growled. Stella NEVER hisses except for the time she met Izzy. After the visit, Stella hissed a few more times out of the blue in an opposite direction of myself. I wish I could have translated what she was saying. :LOL:

Furthermore, they recommended I use a mild shampoo such as Allergroom or Hy-lyt weekly. They also recommended that I use an over the counter steroid cream (Cortaid) with aloe or Eucerin cream on the skin fold irritation areas. Should I be worried about what they had to tell me? It all sounded believable until this tech had to open her mouth (sorry, I'm being bitter). Stella can't be fat? lol She's bald and beautiful, just like all of the other Sphynx on this site.

We use women's yeast infection cream (Monistat 7) to clean George's ears once a week. You might want to try that.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

Maybe find a new vet????

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I might have to. It sucks, because this is the third vet we've been to. I had the same problem with the first vet, in that she rubbed me the wrong way. The second vet (which I haven't shut off ties to yet) is located 30 some odd minutes away and and are sort of hard to get into when you want to get in right away. And this one, the University. . . a pretty prestigious place, have always been good. Fortunately for me, the tech/students rotate so whenever I need to go back, she will more than likely not be at my visit!

Alright, she wasn't HORRIBLE. I just didn't get a good vibe from her, that's all.

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The reason I even started going to them in the first place is because of the ER visit she needed for her swollen eye that occurred back in August. They were so nice and seemed very knowledgeable. They recommended I go to their ophthalmology clinic for her eye visits, and those went just as well. Therefore, I felt comfortable going to them.

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Is anyone familiar with the ear cleaner, shampoo and creams they recommended? Better yet, has anyone's Sphynx experience similar irritations?

PitRottMommy

Banned
First off, Veterinarians look at more than just the belly for obesity. The body doesn't just change around the stomach area, they carry more fat in their fat pad, their shoulders, face and limbs. It is better to have a slim cat than it is to have a pudgy one. And, to be honest, my BOY cats are 9 pounds...and if my female cat were that...she WOULD be fat. If your vet is asking that you slim her down, why is that such a bad thing? (BTW, I don't know of one client that doesn't meet us with resistance when their pet is overweight. Those that agree are already trying to get their pet's weight down). A pet that isn't overweight may well live into their older teens. A pudgy cat may not. Organs are affected by extra weight. Don't hear me wrong...my cat's have a belly. They just don't have a spare tire.

100_0853.jpg

And if your girl is having skin fold dermatitis because her belly is that big...I second your vet's recommendation. She needs to lose weight. Gaining 1.5 pounds for a cat is like a 150 pound person going to 180 in a few weeks--and, yes, that IS concerning.

Sphynx do not REQUIRE food being left out all day. I have three that do fine and have done fine forever on a twice daily feeding. They do not have the metabolism of a mouse that requires that they eat every 2-3 hours. If they are fed even once a day, their blood sugar will sustain the amount--it's whether or not they have the ability to take in the amount they need in a single feeding. Two, yes, they are capable of. So, when the tech tells you that it's not healthy to leave food out for them all day...she's right. Especially if your companion is gaining weight. Try feeding on the recommended size for the bag, instead of just what you think will get them through the day. She may well be eating more than her fair share---which is not good and obviously having poor result on her body condition.

And, just an interjection, if you're going to a teaching hospital...you've likely got an overseeing doctor...and a doctor-t0-be (in 2 years or less in most cases)...not a tech. Don't misunderstand me, she was a bit blunt. However, we're here for the animal's health and it IS frustrating when an owner is certain they are right and the animal will suffer because of it. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but it happens in alot of cases and I've been known to get snitty myself when clients think they know something but they refuse to practice it.

Maybe posting a picture of her entire body in her current condition will allow posters to determine if she's at a healthy weight at the person was wrong...or if she really does need to cut back on the kibble.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I might have to. It sucks, because this is the third vet we've been to. I had the same problem with the first vet, in that she rubbed me the wrong way. The second vet (which I haven't shut off ties to yet) is located 30 some odd minutes away and and are sort of hard to get into when you want to get in right away. And this one, the University. . . a pretty prestigious place, have always been good. Fortunately for me, the tech/students rotate so whenever I need to go back, she will more than likely not be at my visit!

Alright, she wasn't HORRIBLE. I just didn't get a good vibe from her, that's all.

Hmmm. So it's tech's/students instead of doctors? I'm confused.... I will say from my own experience since Sphynx are still a "rare" cat breed among vets that it is hard to find a vet that is knowledgeable about Sphynx.

PitRottMommy

Banned
I did find this picture of Stella:

http://www.sphynxlair.com/album.php?albumid=71&pictureid=2222

If she's currently this size, I am in full agreement with your vet. She's too heavy. She doesn't just have a belly, to be fair, she's got a caboose too.

Having her closer to this size:

Olive_022303.jpg

would be much more healthy. And her skin-fold dermatitis wouldn't be there (because her belly wouldn't be rolling over on itself).

Again, no offense meant here. I'm just trying to show you how your vet sees it. Because I can see the same thing.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
How old is Stella and how much does she weigh? George is now 5 months old and weighs 8.5 pounds. The vet said he was not overweight.

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
First off, Veterinarians look at more than just the belly for obesity. The body doesn't just change around the stomach area, they carry more fat in their fat pad, their shoulders, face and limbs. It is better to have a slim cat than it is to have a pudgy one. And, to be honest, my BOY cats are 9 pounds...and if my female cat were that...she WOULD be fat. If your vet is asking that you slim her down, why is that such a bad thing? (BTW, I don't know of one client that doesn't meet us with resistance when their pet is overweight. Those that agree are already trying to get their pet's weight down). A pet that isn't overweight may well live into their older teens. A pudgy cat may not. Organs are affected by extra weight. Don't hear me wrong...my cat's have a belly. They just don't have a spare tire.

100_0853.jpg

And if your girl is having skin fold dermatitis because her belly is that big...I second your vet's recommendation. She needs to lose weight. Gaining 1.5 pounds for a cat is like a 150 pound person going to 180 in a few weeks--and, yes, that IS concerning.

Sphynx do not REQUIRE food being left out all day. I have three that do fine and have done fine forever on a twice daily feeding. They do not have the metabolism of a mouse that requires that they eat every 2-3 hours. If they are fed even once a day, their blood sugar will sustain the amount--it's whether or not they have the ability to take in the amount they need in a single feeding. Two, yes, they are capable of. So, when the tech tells you that it's not healthy to leave food out for them all day...she's right. Especially if your companion is gaining weight. Try feeding on the recommended size for the bag, instead of just what you think will get them through the day. She may well be eating more than her fair share---which is not good and obviously having poor result on her body condition.

And, just an interjection, if you're going to a teaching hospital...you've likely got an overseeing doctor...and a doctor-t0-be (in 2 years or less in most cases)...not a tech. Don't misunderstand me, she was a bit blunt. However, we're here for the animal's health and it IS frustrating when an owner is certain they are right and the animal will suffer because of it. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but it happens in alot of cases and I've been known to get snitty myself when clients think they know something but they refuse to practice it.

Maybe posting a picture of her entire body in her current condition will allow posters to determine if she's at a healthy weight at the person was wrong...or if she really does need to cut back on the kibble.

I appreciate your help. I got a bit pissy because of an on-going bad day. :( I understand where you're coming from and I apologize for sounding ignorant. I guess I get skeptical; I have fear something bad will happen if I'm not at a vet who is familiar with the breed. You know what I mean? I honestly feel safer receiving advice from members on this site than my own vet, or at least checking the advice given to me against those here on the site. Thanks, Pitrottmommy for dealing with another stubborn client (me). :LOL:

How quickly should I see a weight drop? I feel like I've done her wrong. :(

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I also felt like it was "just enough food" because their dishes are pretty small. Made a fool of myself today, huh? :Dizzy:

PitRottMommy

Banned
Hmmm. So it's tech's/students instead of doctors? I'm confused.... I will say from my own experience since Sphynx are still a "rare" cat breed among vets that it is hard to find a vet that is knowledgeable about Sphynx.

Cats are cats, mainly. It's like taking a tiger to a zoological vet and not being happy because he sees lions more frequently. They ARE the same animal. They are hairless and they're predisposed to alot of problems that other cats are...because they were bred from those particular breeds. Sphynx are not the only cats with skin problems, GI problems, cancer, bad hearts, seeing problems, reproductive problems, etc. Their problems are not "rare", although their breed is less common. Many myths surround this breed, we must weed through the crap and improve our ownership by that which is true.

As far as tech/doctors...I think you misunderstood. Universities that graduate DVMs have to-be doctors shadow a regular doctor. That's to say that when your pet is seen, there will be an overseeing Doctor of Veterinary Medicine. They have X number of students that they oversee. When you are visited, you see both doctors. The vet-to-be discusses what s/he thinks they found in the exam, what they'd treat and with what and the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine agrees or disagrees and explains why. Essentially, they're seen by two doctors. Sometimes better, because they can bounce ideas off of one another that a single doctor may not come up with. The reason I say that the doctor-to-be is likely very close to their graduation is that most Universities don't put students in a client-patient rotation until they've proven themselves worthy through study...which equates to the last one or two years of schooling when they're fine tuning their knowledge before being released on the world to practice medicine.

PitRottMommy

Banned
In regards to medicine, I've used everything that was mentioned (or sell, or use myself):

I like Malacetic Otic. I just don't like the smell. It's a wonderful cleaner and trying something different may help to remove the wax thats building up.

I also love Allergroom (the smell is good) and Hy-lyt isn't bad either. I'm more of a fan of using Malaseb plagettes on dermatitis than creams...as cats have a tendency to lick them off.

Back