Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

The Watering Hole

Tiffany_Kay

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks! We have a toilet and tub, etc. drinker here! I just moved his bowl farther away from where he sometimes eats.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I found a great little blog about why your cat may like drinking from other water sorces than from its bowl... And as someone who has problems with their cat looking for water elsewhere (the toilet, my water glass, the sink) when she has a full clean dish, I never knew it could be this simple!

http://love.theanimalrescuesite.com..._campaign=the-watering-hole&utm_term=20131112

A few months ago, my son-in-law sent me some information about why cats like their water bowls elsewhere and not next to their food bowls. The reasoning was a bit different than your article. Your article makes perfect sense. His article just talked about in the wild, cats' prey isn't eaten near the local watering hole. It said nothing about bacteria.
Either way, I had learned that cats prefer their water bowls away from their food bowls. :)

It's really funny though, I have a 64 oz. stainless steel water bowl from when I had my golden retriever and chocolate lab. I have never been able to get rid of that bowl because any cat that I've ever had and any small dogs would ALWAYS prefer that water bowl to their own no matter if their water bowl was a small stainless steel bowl or ceramic! SOOO, I keep it out all the time filled with water and we call it, "The Local Watering Hole!" LOL

Great article. Thanks for sharing. :)

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thanks for the info!

Moses insists on drinking out of my water, he will even try to drink out of a water bottle. Every time I try to pour a glass of water, I must pour him one too. They have a glass of water next to the sink, and for the longest time, I'd have to leave a note next to it for my cleaning lady when I had one that it as the cats "water bowl" because she kept dumping it out and putting it away. They prefer a nice deep, coffee mug-like a glass to drink out of. Moses will put his head WAYYYY down into any type of glass, just to drink out of it if he thinks its water. Even teeny-tiny little juice glass. Needless to say, Ive had many a broken glasses as he tries to help himself. If he sees anyone getting a drink of water, he goes over and starts to help himself, so I am so used to getting him a fresh glass of water when I get myself one. And, any change they get they will drink out of the bathtub, toilet, etc.

Jen

micjones26

Lairian
20131118_202716.jpg
20131118_202628.jpg
20131118_202643.jpg

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We have bowls all over the house and it seems to work good! Thanks for posting the tips, I shared this with my mom :D

Back