Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

The Wonders of Witch Hazel for Blackheads

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I gave Max a little wipe down today, along with a witch hazel treatment for his chin as he had one single massive blackhead. Hubby was impressed with how well it worked.

Any way, I thought that I would just post this little tidbit for the benefit of the new Sphynx parents who might know about the awesomeness of witch hazel.

Distilled Witch hazel is a liquid that can be purchased at any pharmacy (usually found where bandages, alcohol etc. are kept).

Others may have different methods (please chime in!) for applying, but I heat the bottle up in a sink of hot water. I cradle Max on my lap (back on my lap, head up) and soak a cloth with warmed witch hazel. I apply this in a gentle scrubbing motion down from chin to neck and up, repeating so as to scrub the entire under chin area. And voila... no more blackheads.

I also apply a final gentle rinsing scrub with a cloth soaked in warm water.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
12 years of nothing but popping pimples and blackheads and just using baby wipes here. It is amazing how their skin heals so quickly. We have even battled crater sized pimples and within 3 days you can't tell. I personally have kept it simple and have had no issues with their natural,immune system to take care of business. Like you many swear by witch hazel, but I have had no need so far, knock on wood.

Patti

Last edited:

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yes I use witch hazel on tails and chins. My boys tend to have the worst zits. Use it when I get a stray one also.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Max is not fond of poking LOL.

I totally agree on the skin healing front. Just amazing.

chickensmom

Lairian
Chicken will not let me pop his black heads and I want to sooooo bad lol

I place a warm compress on his chin for as long as he will tolerate it but he fusses the second I even go to gently poke on anything. Brat!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I've heard of Sphynx getting blackheads or zits on their tails. Where about does this normally occur? Maybe a silly question, but I've always wanted to know. Is this "stud tail"? Inquiring minds want to know.

Apart from a little fuzz and a shiny tip from sucking, Max's tail seems otherwise "normal".

Toa and Ross

Staff member
I've heard of Sphynx getting blackheads or zits on their tails. Where about does this normally occur? Maybe a silly question, but I've always wanted to know. Is this "stud tail"? Inquiring minds want to know.

Apart from a little fuzz and a shiny tip from sucking, Max's tail seems otherwise "normal".
image.jpg
image.jpg
Toa has a lot of blackheads on his tail. The blackheads are on the first part of the tail. On the end of his tail you see the stud tail. He got it when he was about 5 months old and still has it. Some days it's worse, on this photo it's not that worse.

Do you use 100% witch hazel? They don't sell 100% pure wich hazel here in the Netherlands and I still didn't found something that helps against blackheads. Toa also has lot of blackheads on his chin.
And Ross, Ross the gentleman has none of course. It seems it's always Toa how haa something:cool:

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
View attachment 61999 View attachment 62000 Toa has a lot of blackheads on his tail. The blackheads are on the first part of the tail. On the end of his tail you see the stud tail. He got it when he was about 5 months old and still has it. Some days it's worse, on this photo it's not that worse.

Do you use 100% witch hazel? They don't sell 100% pure wich hazel here in the Netherlands and I still didn't found something that helps against blackheads. Toa also has lot of blackheads on his chin.
And Ross, Ross the gentleman has none of course. It seems it's always Toa how haa something:cool:

That Toa. It's ALl that nicotine and pizza. Ha ha. Poor boy. Thanks for the pics. Helps me understand.
I did some googling and found this for you.

Hamamelis Virg Cort Nat Sanat voor € 6,60 | Drogisterij.net Mobiel

Maybe your local apotek carries Hamamelis. In English it would be distilled witch hazel.

Toa and Ross

Staff member

That Toa. It's ALl that nicotine and pizza. Ha ha. Poor boy. Thanks for the pics. Helps me understand.
I did some googling and found this for you.

Hamamelis Virg Cort Nat Sanat voor € 6,60 | Drogisterij.net Mobiel

Maybe your local apotek carries Hamamelis. In English it would be distilled witch hazel.

Yep I tell Toa to stop with all the nicotine and pizza but he doesn't care about the blackheads:). Thanks so much! They do indeed have Hamamelis but I didn't know if I could use this on Toa. Going to give it a try.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yep I tell Toa to stop with all the nicotine and pizza but he doesn't care about the blackheads:). Thanks so much! They do indeed have Hamamelis but I didn't know if I could use this on Toa. Going to give it a try.

Tell Toa he won't get a girlfriend if he doesn't clean up his act. :LOL: But he might not care about that yet either.

Let me know how the Hamamelis works out. Toa is in for a special spaw treatment now! :smuggrin:

Toa and Ross

Staff member

Tell Toa he won't get a girlfriend if he doesn't clean up his act. :LOL: But he might not care about that yet either.

Let me know how the Hamamelis works out. Toa is in for a special spaw treatment now! :smuggrin:

Toa says he only want Toothless (from @MelissaAlice ) as his girlfriend and only for her he will try to get rid of the blackheads...maybe:smuggrin:.

Spaw treatment? Oooh Toa is soooo giving you the stinkey eye now!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Toa says he only want Toothless (from @MelissaAlice ) as his girlfriend and only for her he will try to get rid of the blackheads...maybe:smuggrin:.

Spaw treatment? Oooh Toa is soooo giving you the stinkey eye now!

LOL.

My dear Toa, It's really not so bad. While the liquid is a little funny smelling, it's warm and it feels good to be so clean. And then you can start getting dirty again! I always like the look on my mother's face when immediately after a clean I use the litter box. Chin up, Toa. Sincerely, Max v. S.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Babas has really been the only one to have black heads on his tail. I learned on here a few years ago how great the exfoliating gloves work. No problems since. I just give a few extra scrubs up and down the tail with my D'Grease shampoo.

Patti

Last edited:

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Babas has really been the only one to have black heads on his tail. I learned on here a few years ago how great the exfoliating gloves work. No problems since. I just give a few extra scrubs up and down the tail with my DeGrease shampoo.

Patti

Ohhh! I didn't know that D'Grease worked that way too (on blackheads). I bought some way back when I was preparing for Max (along with the HyLyt) but haven't used it yet as I'm afraid I might not be able to rinse Max well enough (since he dislikes rinsing). But good to know it works well on problem spots. Thanks, Patti!

Last edited by a moderator:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Xandria we members all swear by what works for us, of course, but for me to have great results on all 3 is a relief/blessing. It cuts the grease very well. But yes, rinsing is key with this product and if Max is not tolerant it maybe just try on his tail...just a dab and still rinse well. Hope you get the same results.

Patti

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
i love our D'grease and I do once in a while use witch hazel on Hairy's blackheads. Rooka does not seem to get them . My crested gets blackheads too and i use a green tea scrub on her, once in a while witch hazel on it as well. I don't want to over use it.

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Frida gets the chin pimples too, but I have never worried about them as my vet seemed completely unconcerned. I may try the witch hazel though as this seems a nice natural solution. (I'm very big on the no chemicals thing)

draconusgryph

Lairian
My boy Onyx is starting to have really bad black heads on his chin. He does let my pop them, however it seems they get worse the next week when I go to bathe him. I'm wondering if there is a cream I can put on so they don't get bad and infected.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447618900.179506.jpg
I use this for a multiple of skin issues and it is non-toxic. Are you using a stainless steal or ceramic bowls? If not, you might want to make a change as they also help keep down skin issues on the chin.

Patti

Back