Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

The World's Greatest Kitten

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I almost didn't post this, I think you guys must be tired of hearing about it, but you are my support group and need to share with people who care about Gummi like I do.

She is so very sick again, I hate seeing her go down like this, it happens so FAST. You can hear her breathing across the room, it's heartbreaking. She has not had her temp taken today, but she feels HOT. I'd bet she has a fever. She also smells really bad, it's like her skin smells sick, hard to explain. She is still eating, but only about a 1/4 of her normal amount, you can see her spine again, and she is weak and sleeping a lot. I am holding her now in my lap, she has been sleeping on me for an hour and can't bring myself to move her. She is such a fighter, and so spunky when she feels good, but I honestly don't know how much longer her little body can fight this unknown attacker. The vets are thinking she has an issue with her lungs, they looked "fuzzy" on x ray,but no one really knows.

I love this kitten so much, I don't want to imagine being without her.

Inferno12

Banned
Awe...poor Gummi. Im sure she can fight through this and you guys can figure things out. Dont give up on her or she will give up too. You guys are strong and you can make it through this together. We are always here for you so dont think we get tired of hearing about it. I wish I could help things get better for you guys but all I can offer is support.

Keep us updated. We love you guys

Bella07

Banned
Oh my goodness, my heart is breaking for you. I know how much you and your family love Gummi, and I am hopeful that with everyone's love and support, she will find a way to pull through. Lots of love and healing prayers.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Although it makes me feel sad to know Gummi is sick, I will never grow tired hearing about her or giving you my support.

Does a "fuzzy x-ray" mean she has fluid in her lungs? If it is, would drawing off some fluid be helpful? I hate to ask but have they ruled out FeLV, FIP, and Feline Lymphoma?

I wish I could help you. I think I remember Sleepyheadkitten mentioning a cat fanciers group for healthy issues. Have you posted there. Boy, I so wish you had some answers.

Praying for Gummi and your family.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Although it makes me feel sad to know Gummi is sick, I will never grow tired hearing about her or giving you my support.

Does a "fuzzy x-ray" mean she has fluid in her lungs? If it is, would drawing off some fluid be helpful? I hate to ask but have they ruled out FeLV, FIP, and Feline Lymphoma?

I wish I could help you. I think I remember Sleepyheadkitten mentioning a cat fanciers group for healthy issues. Have you posted there. Boy, I so wish you had some answers.

Praying for Gummi and your family.

They have ruled all those out MMSB, all her bloodwork is normal, the x ray really doesn't mean anything helpful. possibly bronchitis, but unlikely as she has not responded to the treatments. I did join the yahoo group, most of the advice is stuff we have tried, however one person wrote me that she is having the exact same thing with her 9 yr old cat, has been to multiple vets as well, and no answers. Her cat responded to baytril, but keeps going back down the same as Gummi. We tried a nebulizer for her breathing, but didn't help. There seems to be no infection like you would typically see with something like bronchitis, no green mucus, no sneezing, no cough. Just raspy breathing, lethargic, loss of appetite, and diarrhea. She is not vomiting though.

Susi~ three vets have seen her, done the same tests, and drawn the same conclusions. It sounds horrible to say, but I can't afford another vet. Her total medical bills now have exceeded 1000, I have used my savings, and am still a month behind on my house payment, and now have a loan payment from the last time she was sick. I just don't think I can put her or me through all that again to hear that they don't know.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The lack of answers and inability to set a treatment plan for Gummi is upsetting. Try to hang in there and not be too discouraged by the resulting helplessness. I keep praying she will rebound and be done with this illness. <hugs>

tessblack

Banned
I really did not want to find this. Poor Gummi, I sure hope she can pull through and you can get this figured out. I know it is hard but I am hoping you guys will get through all this. I know how hard it can be to make decisions when it comes to finances, I am still paying off there ecocardiagrams from earlier this year. I know you will do everything you can for her. Give her a kiss for me and keep us up to date please.

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Poor Gummi! This breaks my heart, and I can't imagine how hard it is on your family. We are all here for you, pulling for our little girl Gummi!!! *hugs*

susi794

Staff member
Bronwyn, I know exactly where you're coming from--last year I thought I wouldn't live through all the death and sicknesses...vet after vet and no one could fix it for more than a week or two--then it finally went away with an extra long dose of doxy. Have you tried the OTC doxy you can buy and mixing it yourself? I can give you the recipe and where to get it if you want to PM me. Did you say the doxy gave her diarreah? You could try the doxy for a longer dosage time and then if the runs got to be too bad, some children's immodium to take care of that. It's worth a try if you feel like you're at the end of your rope.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Gadzukz,
Sorry to hear about Gummi....Did they do a stool culture? And rule out all parasites? Did they test for heart worm? Did her heart sound ok with all three vets? Did you contact any of the siblings of Gummi (if you have access) and find they are having similar difficulties? I hope Gummi is feeling better soon!

Bella07

Banned
I'm still praying for you Gummi....everytime I look at this post I get sad for her and your family all over again....Please get well soon little girl. Your whole Sphynxlair family loves you.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you all, I love you guys.

Sleepykitten~ A fund would be a great idea if we knew what she needed, like Neala had a surgery goal to aim for. The thing is, we just don't know what she needs.

Susi~ She is still on doxy, her stool is runny, but not diarrhea really, meaning she isn't going more often than usual. The vet wants to see her and re evaluate her lung sounds in 10 more days.

Admin~ Her heart sounds great, no heart worms, no murmurs. There have been several fecal analysis done, including tests for giardia and trichasomething(?) Shannon has said that none of the other kits have had any issues, and none of my other cats have had any issues, so it is apparently not contagous (sp.)

Melonie~ no they did not do a throat swab, it's worth mentioning next time.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
An open fund wouldn't be a bad thing though at this point in time- obviously, more testing is needed. What does your vet recommend as 'the next step'?

Treasurecat

Banned
I am so sorry to hear that she's sick again. I wish there was some actual THING to treat, Its so frustrating not knowing what it could be and how best to treat it. Sending HUGE {{{HUGS}}} to you and Gummi.

Back