Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Thermal Sphynx

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thermal Sphynx is a new term to me. Granted I am still strying to catch up on all the developments and changes with the breed. But I know just the right bunch of people who can help me! :ThumbsUp:

Is it a term for kitties changing color with the seasons? How is this passed off to offspring? How do you know if a kitten is a thermal? How do you register the color on TICA and CFA papers? Are there health concerns associated with them?

Thanks for helping an old dog learn something new.

susi794

Staff member
I would help out, but not up to snuff on that one myself. Am anxiously awaiting the answer.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

My Wrinkles is a Thermal Sphynx.
I am sorry but it is not funny when you have to redo TICA and CFA Regs when the color changes.
Wrinkles was sold to me as seal point and white and she turned into a Seal Tortie Point and White.
Thermal sphynx are born mostly white and change color as they age.
They darken in the winter and lighten in the summer.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

My Wrinkles is a Thermal Sphynx.
I am sorry but it is not funny when you have to redo TICA and CFA Regs when the color changes.
Wrinkles was sold to me as seal point and white and she turned into a Seal Tortie Point and White.
Thermal sphynx are born mostly white and change color as they age.
They darken in the winter and lighten in the summer.

It is very interesting to know most Thermals are born white.
At what point did you know she had stopped changing so you could change the color on her forms?
Do you know how the trait is genetically linked? Is this something breeders try to achieve or is it too random?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wrinkles is still changing color but she will stay a Seal Tortie and White now.
I had DNA tests done at UC Davis.
I knew she was the wrong color after I sent the blue slip in but it was to late.
The judges changed it at her first CFA show.
They had a big debate about her.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I have heard of "thermal" kittens. generally they are born solid pink or "cream" and wouldn't get any coloring for a few weeks and inherited the name "thermal". I don't believe it's very common. I did not ever hear of them changing colors when adults. Thanks for that info M2M.:Laugh:

holly_savage

Banned
My Hibou is a thermal too. She was mostly cream colored on her body till she was about 6 months old and then she started getting darker (during the winter months). She is officially a Seal Mink & White. She also got a little hairier over the winter but seems to have lost a lot of it.
A breeder I was recently talking to said that they will darken graduallyas they age and it can continue on well into adulthood.

should be 4th(newest)

should be 2nd

should be 3rd

should be 1st

Just to show some of the differences.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Here are my pics of Wrinkles before and after.
Wrinkles before I got her.
showgirl3.jpg

showgirl.jpg

When I got her.
Sphynx046.jpg

Sphynx044.jpg

Last Year
DSC02285.jpg

Last Jan
DSC02285.jpg

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thanks for the pictures of Hibou and Wrinkles. It must be very cool to watch the color change ....almost like waiting for a Polaroid picture to develop.

Bella07

Banned
Wow---their markings change so much! Thermals got me to thinking how cool it would be to have Sphynx that change colors. Say during the summer months you have a Seal Mink with White. During the Fall, you have a calico. During the winter, you have a black and white. Then during the Spring, you have a Tortie. That'd be pretty fun, I can dream right :Laugh:

holly_savage

Banned
you are welcome, I think we all have that one thing in common here, we love to share our pics. My Hibou doesn't have the neat patches of color that wrinkles does, her "white" is mostly on her underbelly and then her paws and of course her cute little milk moustache!

Jocy24

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My Hibou is a thermal too. She was mostly cream colored on her body till she was about 6 months old and then she started getting darker (during the winter months). She is officially a Seal Mink & White. She also got a little hairier over the winter but seems to have lost a lot of it.
A breeder I was recently talking to said that they will darken graduallyas they age and it can continue on well into adulthood.

should be 4th(newest)

should be 2nd

should be 3rd

should be 1st

Just to show some of the differences.

Wow I'll have to keep an eye on Buffy! She's the same light color as kitten Hibou.

Back