Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

thermal?

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi All! I am new to the sphynx breed - already have 2 with one more on the way!!! I discovered on this site that my sealpoint is actually a mink, because he has aqua eyes (is this right?). I have a new question - what is a "thermal"? I have read this but have no idea what it is. Thanks.

susi794

Staff member
Yes, then your baby is a seal mink. Thermal means that the color takes a while to develop--they get born looking like pinkies and then the color slowly develops--it takes a while to know what they are going to look like.

holly_savage

Banned
Susi is right. The overall body color darkens as they get older. The pointed areas appear first, then the body color comes in.

Hibou is thermal see the difference in her coloring...

at three weeks...

at 6 months (I think)

and at about 1 year (Hibou is on the right)

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Interesting.
I knew of this but not that there was a word formaly describing it.
Good to know, thanks.

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks everyone for the info! My sealpoint little girl sphynx is definitely a seal mink (aqua eyes & all). And I believe she must be a thermal, because she first appeared pointed, but now is very dark all over. I also have 2 Ragdoll cats (stunning beauties!), who are born white/light & develop color over time - Ragdolls are supposed to develope color & size up to 2 years of age, I believe. Their colors evolution is dependent on temperature, so I guess they must be a "thermal" type of breed, too. It is strange, but my favorite cat breeds are Ragdolls (longhaired VERY hairy beauties), & bare naked Sphynx! I also have 1 Somali kitten that was gifted to me by my Ragdoll breeder (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). She had some neurological damage after surgery for an ear polyp, & cannot be shown because of an abnormal angle to her neck. She is a real cutie, too! And to think that 2 years ago I didn't have a single cat!:LOL:

Gizzymom

Banned
Thanks everyone for the info! My sealpoint little girl sphynx is definitely a seal mink (aqua eyes & all). And I believe she must be a thermal, because she first appeared pointed, but now is very dark all over. I also have 2 Ragdoll cats (stunning beauties!), who are born white/light & develop color over time - Ragdolls are supposed to develope color & size up to 2 years of age, I believe. Their colors evolution is dependent on temperature, so I guess they must be a "thermal" type of breed, too. It is strange, but my favorite cat breeds are Ragdolls (longhaired VERY hairy beauties), & bare naked Sphynx! I also have 1 Somali kitten that was gifted to me by my Ragdoll breeder (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). She had some neurological damage after surgery for an ear polyp, & cannot be shown because of an abnormal angle to her neck. She is a real cutie, too! And to think that 2 years ago I didn't have a single cat!:LOL:
Photos please... :Laugh: