Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

"Things I wish I knew before starting a raw diet/making my cat's food" (1st time food DIYer)

Rox

Lairian
Any tips, information, or "things I wish I knew before starting a raw diet" would be supremely helpful.

Also- I don't currently have a grinder- can I supplement with bone broth for now?
Thanks!

JenFid

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hmmm, honestly I'm not sure if there are any "things I wish I knew" for myself. I did tons and tons of research on what to feed our kittens before they were even born. I didn't even really want to try raw initially until I started reading about how bad dry food can be! I knew it would be pricey, that the kittens might not take to it, that it could make traveling a hassle, etc etc. So far it's lived up to my expectations and I haven't really had any surprises.

I don't make my own food. I lucked out and found a local shop here that specializes in locally sourced raw and cooked food for dogs and cats. It's spendy but not nearly as much as if I was ordering online, and it's probably actually cheaper than if we were trying to feed high quality dry/wet.

I'm not sure about bone broth but if you're buying pre-ground meat there are supplements out there that provide the nutrients for the missing bone. One is Better in the Raw. I use Alnutrin.

Check out the raw food guide sticky here, lots of good info there from Xandria! Also this website has oodles of info on making your own food http://www.catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The only thing I wish I knew was that Max was allergic to chicken!! But that was a learning experience, and he's no worse for it.

I'm not sure about using bone broth. I'd only use it if a recipe suggests it. But you need to be able to calculate the calcium to phosphorus ratio if you're using something outside of a standard recipe.

Perhaps this will help: http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/raw-cat-food-information.31254/