Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Things my Sphynx taught me.

Jynxified

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My wife and I had only had our Sphynx (Saphira) for six months or so, and even though we researched the breed for quite a while before getting one, we were still learning each day. One such lesson had us baffled for about a week before our Pharmacist figured it out.
It started one night. The day had been fine my wife and I had a doctors appointment and our cats were left to play while we were gone. When we arrived home all was as expected. Two cats in the bed on our bay window, one on the cat tree, and of course our Sphynx was cuddled up in our blankets on our bed. Later that night we get ready for bed and Lori (my wife) puts on her new cream from the doctors and without a second thought she goes to bed with me following close behind. Around three in the morning Saphira was out of bed and pacing the hall, which was odd for her as she usually only got up to get some water then was back in the blankets with us. As she paced she began to yowl. Softly at first but slowly it got loader and loader, to the point were no one was able to sleep any longer. this went on night after night. The days were normal but every night around the same time she would begin. At first it was amusing as her howls sounded like a very old woman calling Hello, but it soon became frustrating as not one of us could sleep through it. I tried Google, I tried Sphynxlair, I even tried asking the vet. To no avail. About ready to take her in to see her vet and ask if she was sure she had fixed Saphira when last there, my wife was in the Pharmacy refilling some prescriptions when the lady commented on how tired my wife looked. Lori filled her in on our amorous kitten and no sooner had she finished telling her tale the Pharmacist started to laugh. It turns out that the cream my wife had started to use was an estrogen cream that she rubbed into her hands at night and not thinking anything of it would pet Saphira once her hands had been dry for a bit. So as it turns Estrogen can cause a cat to act like it is in heat even when fixed and that even though your hands are dried it does not mean there is not any traces left behind. The yowls stopped very abruptly after my wife switch from the cream to a patch.

Attachments

Jynxified

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I want to thank all of you who have posted such great and encouraging responses to my post. I don't really understand why I am so nervous about forums but I do hope to break that soon. once i figure out how to create an album I will upload a bunch of pictures of all our four legged babies.

Uhg my newness shows through. This is posted to the wrong place. sigh. I will figure it out eventually.

Last edited:

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Wow, thanks for posting this. I know and understand that they are exposed to everything they touch but what a powerful lesson.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Wow you taught us all something! What a sweet pic.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
OMG, that's funny and not at the same time. Great sleuthing on your part, though. And this is very educational!

Thank you for the giggle and welcome!!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Jynxified didn't know if I should press the laughing smiley or the hug smiley. Cause it's horrible that you couldn't sleep for night after night so a bug hug for all those night. But it's also funny...hope you don't mind me laughing a bit.
Very glad your wife figured out what was causing this behaviour. And very glad you posted it here! This kind of info is good to know for all of us!! Never knew a creme could cause this.

Don't worry about posting in a wrong place. Be proud of yourself you started posting. I'm very glad you did.

Thanks,

Natasja

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That's great info, glad you posted it! :)
Okay, I chuckled. I admit it. LOL

Jynxified

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am glad you all liked this story. I have to admit that when I think of This or tell this story I still chuckle. It is funny Now. lol I have a few more lessons I will share. As I can. Thank you again for such a fun place for me to escape into and talk about my sweet baby girl and all my awesome four legged children.