Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

thinkng of buying... :)

xdxcfc

Lairian
hi All,

I've been thinking for awhile about having a sphynx in my family. Can some one please tell me if they are vocal if left? I have animal hating neighbours and so have been trying to find out if they are likely to be noisey. I've also read contradicting statements about them, one that they do not like other animals, and another that they should have a friend if they are to be left without a person in the home.

Please can some one advise me?

Thanks!!!

Lynn

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sphynx can be vocal it depends on the cat but the neighbors will not hear them.
They are very friendly cats and love to play.
I have 3.
They love other pets.
I have 7 cats and the sphynx always sleep together with my furry cat Meeko.
I would

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome! I've had 4 sphynx, currently have 2. It all depends on the cat's personalities. Just like people, some talk talk talk nonstop & others barely say a peep. Unless you live really close to your neighbors (like an apt bldg with paper-thin walls), I doubt they'd be able to hear the cats if they did cry. My experience has been that sphynx are more likely to cry when they know you're near--for instance, shutting them out of a room, or being on the deck while they're inside. I couldn't say for sure, but I don't think they cry once I'm gone. Good luck in your search! Once you become owned by a sphynx, you'll wonder why you waited this long!! :ThumbsUp:

LLevenson

Lairian
Sphynx are wonderful pets (of course you did stumble onto a VERY biased forum here at SL! :Wink: )

Ours is only vocal when we are around, either playing with him, or he wants our attention from another room. The only time he is vocal when "left alone" is if we lock him out of a room and then he wants IN with us! Sphynx love their humans and want to be with you all the time if you are home! If they can hear, smell, see you but can't get to you, then the meowing starts (at least w/ ours!). I wouldn't think that a Sphynx would be so loud that a neighbor would hear. We don't have any other pets (yet!) but whenever a friend brings over their dog, Arias loves playing with him!

Good luck! If you end up getting a Sphynx please share with us!

susi794

Staff member
Unaltered males often howl loud enough for neighbor's to hear them in an apt. bldg. But you wouldn't be getting an unaltered male as a pet. Others are talkers, but as previously written, I doubt anyone would ever hear them outside of your house. They usually adore other animals and they DO do better if they have a friend. They are extremely social animals and get lonely if their people aren't around very much or they have no playmates. It doesn't have to be another sphynx and it doesn't even have to be a cat. Once you have one, you'll never want to be without one ever again. Good luck with your search for a forever friend.

BlueGirl

Lairian
I dont think they're that noisy but I supose it depends on the cats personality. Loki loves to talk to himself in the bathroom cause it echos but other than that he's not too nosiy, you wouldnt hear them though walls at any rate, apart from perhaps at bath time! My boy does scream when he's being cleaned haha. But when I go out he just goes to sleep to save his energy for more play when i get back, so you dont hear a peep out of him.
xx

ckutkuhn7

Banned
My sphynx is only vocal when she is "talking" to me and telling me how she feels. lol Usually when we come home we are greeted with loud meows until we pick her up and give her hugs and kisses and when she is hungry around meal time she meows until we put her food down for her. Other than that the only time she is loud is when she cant get to us. Like if we go outside and leave the windows open we will hear her meowing for us because she wants to come out too or something like that. As long as your not in a apartment with thin walls I think you would be fine.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Mine are pretty quite but I think they DO need a friend. I have poop on my bed all the time when I left until I got another cat.

lylwhitetiger

Lairian
i live in an apartment and i havent had any complaints about a loud cat and he is a loud boy. i dont think he cries long when i leave, but if im out with the dog and he can see or hear me from inside he gets loud.

Back