Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Three Questions

aspencercat

Lairian
I'm about to get a sphynx male, and this will be my first. I have a couple of questions:

1. Do you use flea control on them (can they even get fleas without hair?)?

2. What shampoo is recommended to use (is something as simple as strawberry suave shampoo okay)?

3. If flea control is recommended is revolution okay to use?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx can get fleas but it does not happen after.
I would not use suave on a sphynx they are sensitive.
You can use baby shampoo,dove ,aveeno with outmeal,burts bees on them.
I would not use a flea treatment on a sphynx they can have bad reactions and get very sick or die.
I do not use anything on my cats and I show them.

susi794

Staff member
I don't use anything for fleas, I use either baby wash or Dawn dish soap to bathe them.

aspencercat

Lairian
Thank you guy so much! I didn't think they would be big on fleas being that they have so little hair. Wierd that you wash them with dawn soap and it doesn't dry them out but suave would. I appreciate all the great advice!!! Want the best for the little boy :) Johnson baby is a great idea for the head! I was wondering what to do about that. Does anyone like a certain foods over others?

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I use Advatage on my fur kitties, but nothing on my sphynx, I put advantage on my hairless dog one time and it was a MESS! lol I wash them both with antibacterial Noxzema face wash, it cuts the oil grime and is gentle.
Congrats on your kitten!

holly_savage

Banned
No flea treatments here either...and we use J&J either the baby shampoo, or the baby body wash. Also use coconut oil after the soap to add alittle extra moisturizing.

J

Jinxlover

Wierd that you wash them with dawn soap and it doesn't dry them out but suave would.

Blueberry is an oily girl and dawn cuts the oil and is gentle, I would not use Suave b/c it's shampoo and what would you be shampooing?? They have no hair to shampoo..lol:LOL:. I have found body wash to be a better choice if you don't like the idea of dawn. I did use Aveeno body wash but she is just way to oily for it, I had to give her a bath every 3 days.

I like EVO cat food Blueberry and my kittens are doing great on it.:ThumbsUp:

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congrats on your new kitty!! You also asked about Food, there is a 15 page thread on "what type of food do you feed". I'm new to the site and found this thread VERY interesting. Take a look at it to get some different opinions on what may work for your family.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I use coconut oil and J&J on Snuffie. No flea treatments here either.

As far as food - the best I've found is Blue Wilderness in my area but Snuffie isn't too crazy about it yet as she is still transitioning so hopefully I'll be able to tell you she is crazy about it in a few more days. lol

myspecialboy

Lairian
Chad gets no flea treatments and doesn't need them.

My guess with the Suave shampoo is because of the sulfates? I don't know for sure, but I know it has a lot of harsh chemicals in it that baby soap doesn't have and Dawn is used to clean up animals affected by oil spills and the like.

My personal experience is J&J baby wash is pretty gentle and cleans relatively well. It doesn't hurt that the cucumber melon smells great, too! Dawn didn't actually seem to get him as clean and he breaks out with coconut oil. A shame with the oil because it got him the cleanest when used before the J&J! I'll have to try Noxema as I have it at home and Chadwick is one greasy boy!

As for food, the vet and I are still trying to find the best for him. He has a problem with not wanting to chew his food and I've taken to brushing his teeth so he doesn't get gingivitis. If anyone has any thoughts on that, I'm pretty open!

Congrats on choosing a Sphynx! As you'll read on the posts, they are a very different and fun breed! This site is also full of smart and helpful people who are more than willing to answer your questions, no matter how stupid you think your questions are (there are no stupid questions here). I wish I had this site when I first got Chad almost two years ago!!!

Back