Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Throwing up and diarrhea help!

sphynxmommy1

Lairian
So we’ve now had Edward for 4 weeks and he has been perfect. No issues, nothing. Then this morning I woke him up in his room and found diarrhea in his litter box and then the throwing up of phlegm started. He threw up 2 more times within an hour, all phlegm and has had 2 more bouts of watery diarrhea and he cries when I pick him up. Of course I have to work so I sent my husband with Edward to the vet. I need all the prayers we can get. Please. I’m so scared.

sphynxmommy1

Lairian
What an ordeal. It’s been a very scary day for us all. I went to work, my husband rushed Edward to the vet. Luckily our new vet is open saturdays and got him right in. They did a full exam checked,ears, mouth, teeth, legs, ribs, and when they reached the tummy he cried. They took his temp, and thank goodness no fever. They grabbed his weight and said he’s doing well and is now up one pound since we got him home. They informed my husband they needed to do xrays immediately in case there is a blockage or obstruction in the tummy or intestines. Off they went for xrays. The doctors returned Nd told my husband she likes to get a licensed radiologists opinion on the xrays as well and told him it would be about 15-20 minutes. Finally she informed my husband, good news, he’s all clear, no blockage or obstructions at all. Ahhhhhh thank goodness. But...... they feel strongly that this is either a virus or a parasite. So to fight it, they would be giving Edward a bag of fluid thru IV, and an injection of anti nausea and diarrhea meds, and an injection of deworming meds just in case he has a parasite.
Now, he was dewormed by the breeder on July 24, the day we got him so my husband told the vet that and the vet does have those records on file, but she told the husband it could be that the one treatment may not have been enough so it won’t hurt to treat him again just in case. So he was given deworming meds, and the nausea meds, they also gave him 2 cans of a veterinarian recommended “bland wet food” by purina for kittens with tummy issues. It’s now been 4 1/2 hours since he’s been home and he’s exhausted and sleeping. No poop yet and that’s ok with me. He has drank some water and we gave him some of the wet food to try 2 hours ago. The vet said to give him a bit and wait, see if he eats it, then allow him to rest and hopefully he will keep it down. She also made him a follow up appointment for Monday just in case he’s not better. However, he ate that wet food, he drank quite a bit of water, and he decided he wanted a bit of his dry food too, and he went back to his blanket and back to sleep. So far he’s doing good. My fingers are crossed he continues to improve Nd whatever this is goes away quickly. Poor baby, I can’t stand to see any of my animals sick, but this scared me because it quite literally came out of no where. He was perfectly fine and wild last night until 1am in the morning, tearing about the house and playing with the dogs. And then at 7:45am I woke him up and it was downhill within an hour from that. Thank you all for reading and replying.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So glad to hear that Edward doesn’t have a blockage! Phew! That would’ve been the scariest issue. Did you bring in a poop sample for the vet to actually confirm if it’s a parasite or not? It sounds a lot like when my Finn came home and he has Giardia. Sending prayers and good thoughts that everything they did fixes him up back to himself. I myself just had to take my boy to the vet Tuesday as he had very bad diarrhea and threw up his dinner. He also got an anti nausea shot like your baby. Keep ya posted !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sphynxmommy1

Lairian
So glad to hear that Edward doesn’t have a blockage! Phew! That would’ve been the scariest issue. Did you bring in a poop sample for the vet to actually confirm if it’s a parasite or not? It sounds a lot like when my Finn came home and he has Giardia. Sending prayers and good thoughts that everything they did fixes him up back to himself. I myself just had to take my boy to the vet Tuesday as he had very bad diarrhea and threw up his dinner. He also got an anti nausea shot like your baby. Keep ya posted !

Thank you so much, what a hectic day. We were unable, or my husband actually, was unable to get a poop sample, it was like water. He said it sprayed out like urine and there was no way to get a sample because the litter formed around it like it was urine. She sent home I think it’s called panacur, Something like that and then for the nausea and diarrhea she sent home metronizodiale or something like that. She said the panacur was for a wide variety of parasites. I’m so sorry to hear about your little boy, please keep me posted. Throwing up is concerning enough but then to add diarrhea and lethargy to mix is just so stressful for both, us and the babies. I’m so sorry, keep me posted how he does. I hope he is all back to normal in no time.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@sphynxmommy1 Just a thought, but do you have any house plants that he may have nibbled on in the night? I wonder only bc you mentioned it did come on so suddenly. Maybe he ingested some that didn’t sit right with him?

sphynxmommy1

Lairian
@sphynxmommy1 Just a thought, but do you have any house plants that he may have nibbled on in the night? I wonder only bc you mentioned it did come on so suddenly. Maybe he ingested some that didn’t sit right with him?
Hi there, no, we have no plants at all in the house. We do have a parrot though that Edward is obsessed with, I’m wondering if he ate bird seed that the bird tosses outside of his cage, we clean it up two times a day but he may have gotten into it when we weren’t looking.

sphynxmommy1

Lairian
Thank you all so much. All the well wishes and advice is so comforting when your nerves are on edge and your anxiety is killing you with worry.
Yesterday at 3pm we gave Edward the veterinary diet bland wet food the prescribed and sent home for Edward. We gave him a very small amount about 1/6 of the can. He’d never had wet food before. To our surprise he ate all of it, and took his medicine as told to my husband by the vet and went back to sleep. Point is.....he ate. He kept it down. 2 hours later we gave him some more. He ate it all, went back to sleep. 2 hours later we woke him to eat and he ate again, but this time he was ready to drink water and decided to eat some of his dry food, use the potty to pee, and now he was ready to play a little. This was a huge improvement! We were so excited!!!! And he napped again around 9pm for about an hour and when he woke up we fed him a bit of wet food again and he ate and was literally back to himself! He was tearing thru the house, chasing the dogs, chasing the cats, chasing his toys. What a HUGE relief. This morning was the first time he’d pooped since yesterday’s blow out before the vet, and it’s much improved. No diarrhea, it’s soft serve, lol but not diarrhea. Today he had his dose of the nausea/diarrhea meds and his panacur dose for the first time. He will have 2 more doses of that over the next 2 days. The nausea/diarrhea meds he’s on for 5 more days. So far we’re good! Thank god. That is such a scary feeling and considering I just lost my sphynx boy in June to hcm, and Edwards our new baby, I just couldn’t take another blow. I’m so grateful he’s ok, and grateful our vet got us right in and no one hestitated or waited.

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I’m so glad he’s doing so much better! And that the diarrhea is so much improved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sphynxmommy1

Lairian
I’m so glad he’s doing so much better! And that the diarrhea is so much improved. He was due for a round of booster shots this week but we may be on hold until next week because of this little hiccup. We are planning to take a stool sample to the vet now that they are firming up. But being on panacur if it’s a parasite it may not show In His stool. He has an appointment preset for him tomorrow at the vet in case there was no improvement. However I can thankfully call in the morning with the good news and free up that appointment for someone who needs it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Me too. I was not expecting such a fast turn around. I figured we’d have a sick baby for a few days. But he’s doing remarkably well.

Lita

Lairian
Uuu that’s had to be scary. I really know how awful is the feeling when our babies are sick.
Well it sure looked like Giardia ( I don’t want to say trichomonas fetus ether :( ) It’s great he is doing better, just watch him closely- not to be fooled by medicines that make him feel better but not resolve the issue ( like anti vomit stuff)
We keep our fingers and paws crossed