Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Tilda is ill again (3rd time)

treefoil

Lairian
Okay, here i come again... :confused:

For those who dont know:
I got my kitten 3 weeks ago (12 Months old) from a breeder.
After 1week tilda started puking (+ diharea) for 2 days, when she stopped drinking i had to go to a pet-ambulance since it was sunday. They wanted to take an xray, gave her an infusion and sonething against stomacheache and being sick.
I refused to the xray, since she was still pooping.

On monday it didnt get better and she was loosing weight rapidly. But kept drinking enough. So i went to my favoured vet. He told me the ambulance gave strange stuff. He gave her too something against the sickness and ache. We also tested the poo against giardia, it was negative.
One day later i went again since she didnt get better, looking like a skeleton.

He made an xray to be completely sure, that she didnt eat something anorganic. And started to give her antibiotics, something against sickness and puking, plus a pill to regulate the stomach acids.
She immediately started to feel better.she stopped puking and ate again. We continued the antibiotics for 2 times ( she got them every two days)
Tilda started to behave like a normal kitten again, gaining back weight, playing with oskar and bringing me joy again. :)

After 4 days the same started again, but this time we were fast enough to break the "puking - no eating" circle. She puked for a half day but ate and drank and played normally. The new antibiotics are in pill form and have to make sure she gets it every morning and evening. (he cannot give her anything stronger since shes still a baby and anything else would harm the growth)

So far so good, it hit her pretty bad yesterday night.
She took the new antibiotics for 2,5 days without puking. 5 days to go. But now that the whole dilemma is starting again i feel insecure. I dont know what to do.
my aunt knows a good vet too and she gave him the list of the medicine she received, so i get a second opinion.
i also dont want to change the vet, since mine is well known and recommended with a pretty good reputation.
so today she is not eating and feeling bad :-(
but she drinks and comes to be petted and cuddled. she didnt puke for 4hour and the force feeded antibiotic pill stayed inside.

I also will not ask the breeder for advice again... I still have to pay half a cat (;-P) and asked her for help and advice for the last weeks... but she thinks my vet is a total moron and i did everything wrong... she said i had stuff on the ground and plants she ate.
at first she wanted her back to cure her herself. and now that i still have to pay something i asked for more time to pay the rest, since i already spend so much on the vet. (about 350$ all in all.... the ambulance was pretty bad...)
she told me she wanted the cat back, and i get the money i paid.
well... NO never... i will pay the rest and dont want to hear about her agian...
i know that shes afraid of the reputation to loose and it was a kind act to let me pay just 1,5 cats now and the rest later. but this is so hurting me... i do all i can to give them a wonderful life. i nearly risked my working place to arrange all the vet visits.

the other thing i didnt know before was, that the babies are from the ukrain and i had contact with the daughter of the breeder... i now know, that the real breeder and the kitty-mum are in ukrain and the kitten were seperated quite early. like after 8 weeks. the woman i got them from lives in berlin with the two male cats, gets the kitten from ukrain and she takes them to berlin to sell them for a better price.
The babies were in good shape and the housing conditions were supergood, i also saw picture of the kitties when they were babies (so same condition in the ukrain). everything clean and nice, so nothing to say about that. they also came chipped, with anti-worm stuff, and every vaccines needed.
but still it makes me wonder that this might be the reason tildas stomach is acting up.

I dont know what to make of this all...
i keep getting from yay to nay.

any advices or similar cases?
long story.... and i just have them for 3 weeks now ;-(
lisa

Sorry for the long text, have a pic for exchange
image.jpg

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Wow. Poor little Tilda, she's had a rough go. What kind of food is she eating? Is she still having diarrhea or just vomiting? Is Oskar acting normally?
I'm so sorry you are going through this with your new baby.

treefoil

Lairian
Hey,
Oskar is just fine. Growing and eating for tilda haha
Like hes leaching her life energy.

Right now its just vomitting i think. I didnt find anything in the litter. Just normal kaka. But the last two times it took a day for dihareea to joun the fun.

I got them the same stuff the breeder fed them.
Carny kitten from animonda as wet food and royal canin babycat. And now that tilda also becomes a bit picky with food when her stomach is acting up, she gets her favorite: freshly cooked chicken (just boiled in water)
When her appetit is normal again i mix it with carny.

I want try out l-lysine, but im afraid that her stomach might be to sensitive for anything new.

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
The most important thing is this baby's health. I understand how terrifying and expensive and stressful all of this is. But if she is not truly progressing, seeing another vet might just be the thing to do just so you have all bases covered. It does not mean you have to see them forever. Have you you revisited the vet she is currently going to? Either way I would get her back to a vet quickly. She is most likely dehydrated and they can give her subcutaneous fluid to start helping hydrate her. These little babies can go downhill fast. Don't wait.

Patti

treefoil

Lairian
hey patti,
i couldnt revisit him so far, last time i saw him was thursday evening. and from then upto yesterday night everything was fine... its always the sunday if something like this happens.... blergh!
if shes not progressing until tomorrow morning i will go and see him asap. right now i let her be since shes not puking and drinking regulary for 6 hours. she doesnt feel dry and the insides of her mouth are pink and wet. I will see what he says and ask if he can recommend another vet.
i know some more vets in this area, but most are money-maker and/or not good with handling cats. plus on monday i get the second opinion of my aunts pets vet (she was a norwegian cat breeder and knows him for 15 years now).

what do you think a vet could do additionally? besides checking the poo and blood and xray her?
I think the next step will be to make an ultrasonic. he told me that we'll do this if she wasnt progressing, but since she WAS actually getting better we didnt do it last time.
maybe its a permanent sickness... if the organs were affected in size or placement, we would have seen it on the xray, right? even a hint.
i'm afraid... :(

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm so sorry Tilda is ill again. I have no real advice other than getting her to the vet and get to the bottom of this.
It could be that she was separated from her mom too soon, 8 weeks is very young, maybe the stress of two moves was just too much for her.
Keep a close eye on her to make sure she stays hydrated and see what that other vet says tomorrow.
Good luck, hang in there!

gothicmist

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Try and get some fluids in her. I had good luck when we had a sick boy putting a litttle tuna fish juices in a bit of water and he drank.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I am happy to hear she has stopped throwing up. Not sure if you are saying she has been drinking or not. That is the most important thing ...keeping her hydrated. Get water into her if she is not. With a syringe or even an eyedropper. I am not saying your vet is bad, I am saying you need to get to a vet and get this figured out :) If she is not eating, you might try a jar of beef and gravy baby food. READ the ingredients...no garlic and no onion...as they are toxic to cats. The idea above about tuna water is also a great suggestion.

Think if she might have gotten into something different last night, a toy, someone feed her table scraps etc. Just seems odd to spring up out of the blue again after a good week. I am sure you are exhausted with worry. We are here for you.

Patti

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I had problems with some kittens on babycat when I had kittens. Persian and sphynx. Try mixing in some regular kitten or a bit of royal canin special 33 . I have think in Europe it has a different name but it is for cats with sensitive stomachs. Do the mix in slowly! Try a few pieces as a treat at first. Wait a few hours and make sure they stay down. Like Catzzzmeow said make sure she is drinking enough. Sometimes when they are so small still it is hard to get them back n track. Good luck! Wishing you the best

treefoil

Lairian
hey, thanks so much! :)
well she is still very tired and sleeping all day long, but she ate some boiled chicken for dinner. not much but it stayed down so far.
she even tried to play a little or sat besides oskar and watched him play. progress.

and yes she always kept drinking, so no worries for dehydration.

the advice about royal canin babycat is quite interesting, i heard it twice today... so maybe i should really change the brand bit by bit.
keep your fingers crossed!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
hey, thanks so much! :)
well she is still very tired and sleeping all day long, but she ate some boiled chicken for dinner. not much but it stayed down so far.
she even tried to play a little or sat besides oskar and watched him play. progress.

and yes she always kept drinking, so no worries for dehydration.

the advice about royal canin babycat is quite interesting, i heard it twice today... so maybe i should really change the brand bit by bit.
keep your fingers crossed!

Here is a link for a recipe Susi' s Glob. It has been successful alot of times.
I would try this until she gets straightened out.
She sounds like she has food allergies. I would go to your Aunt's Vet for
a second opinion. Just remember if you change her food, transition slowly.
Just search this.
http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/rescued-sphynx-kitten.23428/#post-268189

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If you can I would probably syringe feed Tilda some wet food with a little extra water added, or possibly plain meat baby food. I would probably see if Tilda is dehydrated if they could give you some extra fluids for at home as well and see if they can teach you how to give the subcutaneous fluids if you are comfortable, they aren't hard but it does make it easier to know that they are getting plenty of fluids. If what they haven't done has helped always get another opinion, I took a furry to 4 different vets at 3 different offices before our's was recovered. Just take a breath, and know that you are doing the best for your baby and that they will love you back ten fold for it, believe me the furry isn't even mine and she won't leave my room now!

treefoil

Lairian
ow sorrie, i totally forgot to reply. :-(
well tilda got better for 2 days and yesterday morning she started to puke again. 10h after eating so she puked just the water...
its so stupid. she turns from glutton and wild playing tiger to a fragil ill puking baby from day to day...
shes exhausted, im exhausted haha

so i visited the vet agian and again haha. this time he gave her stronger long term antibiotics shot. (they cover 7 days and should be helping)
I should put her on chicken-only diet for a few days. until her stomach is okay again.

thats too what the other vet said. (the one my aunt was asking for advice)
they are of the opinion that the antibiotics were to much for her stomach and she might still puke for some time until her stomach regeneradet itself. until then the antibiotics-shot covers, if there might still be bacteria inside her.

the other theorie was that the antibiotics given before were not strong enough.... but he still refrains from giving her the strong ones, since it harms the teeth and the bones growth.
and since she gained weight hes not tooooo worried about her.

i was so overwhelmed by the super advices and therapies that i didnt know what to do anymore... so i think i will follow the docs advices.
but if nothing helps ill keep everything in mind!
but its neither plants nor a food-allergy.

puh... now breakfast for the two kitties.
thank you so much for the backup, I really needed it!!! :)
I'll keep you up to date!

treefoil

Lairian
Hiya, i bought sone l-lysine online... It should arrive soon. Not so easy to find in germany though.
What do you think about giving it to her. Is she able to stomach it with a sensitive stomach or should i wait till it gets better?
Any experiences? :)

My flatmate just told me the kitties are totally crazy, playing and running around the flat

Back