Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Time outdoors

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Greetings folks. It's been about a week hiatus from the lair for me. No internet sure does make for a boring existence. I've been spending alot of time at my folks. My mother doesn't like cats too much and she especially doesn't like the litter situation. So, we let Butterball stay on a screened in porch most of the time. He's even slept out there a couple of times. Don't worry it hasn't been below 75F in a while and the porch is about 85F during the day. He's got a fan out there too. So I would say it's the just about ideal for him. His litter and food are on the porch too.

Anyhoo, I'm a little miffed. When Ball is inside and I go out he jets out on the screened in porch which makes me assume he likes being outside. He'll stay out there for hours. He'll look through the window and see me and he always meows. I open the door to let him inside but he just stays outside. So he's quick to run outside, but hesitant to come inside. So this puzzles me. Could it be that he just wants me to sit on the porch with him? That is the only conclusion I can come up with. He's such a good little fella. He gets sweeter with each passing day. He has an over abundance of head butts and bad breath licks for each of you that may want one.

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
He may want you to come enjoy the great outdoors with him but i would be extra careful when you return to your normal routine. If given the chance he may dart out the door and enter the world not surrounded by a screen and if he doesn't want to come back in then you might have a problem.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
El Gato, I have to be careful with Piglet trying to go outside, too. She loves the outdoors and thinks it's her own personal jungle gym and grass-eating snack bar. If I or my fiance opens the back patio door, she darts out in an instant or tries to sneak out. She has no idea of the dangers that are out there...because we keep her indoors most of the time, of course. She likes to wander, so I have to keep an eye on her at all times when she is outside.

As for your situation with ButterBall, I agree with lovinsphynx that you may want to be extra-careful with him if and when you change residences. You don't want him getting too comfortable with being outside.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I just had a scare with Meecho on Sunday. My dad sent to dogs outside to go the bathroom and didn't know that Meecho snuck outside. When he sent the dogs out again four hours later Meecho was waiting to come inside. Lucky for him I didn't know any of the this until later that day. He's even luckier that I didn't kill him.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I just had a scare with Meecho on Sunday. My dad sent to dogs outside to go the bathroom and didn't know that Meecho snuck outside. When he sent the dogs out again four hours later Meecho was waiting to come inside. Lucky for him I didn't know any of the this until later that day. He's even luckier that I didn't kill him.

Judging by your family's current feelings about Meecho, maybe your dad let her out on purpose :Woo: ...hoping that she'll get conveniently "lost".:Cry:

Brooke

Banned

I had a similar scare with Harold once. A neighbor had been over and I was talking to him with the front door open and Harold snuck outside. About an hour later, I realized I hadn't seen him in a while and panicked. I was running up and down the street calling for him, freaking out, and finally found him sitting behind a bush by the front door. But, he was clearly overheated (having been out in the sun in the Florida heat) and it could have been really bad. After that, I always had to be really careful that he wouldn't sneak out.

Luckily now, Walter and Helen have no interest in going outside. Walter looks outside all day long but as soon as I open the door he runs away!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Elgato, good to hear from you, hope all is well! When we go outside Leo and Athena both go to the window and meow. I think he just wants to be with you no matter where he is! remember sphynx are very companion friendly and love there owners company and attention!:Laugh:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I think he knows mom don't like him so is calling you out to be with him but won't upset your mom by going in her house!:Laugh:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Judging by your family's current feelings about Meecho, maybe your dad let her out on purpose :Woo: ...hoping that she'll get conveniently "lost".:Cry:

I would think that if I didn't KNOW he would be more afraid of me if that happened. Not to mention the fact that I suffer from depression and it's only because of Meecho that I was taken off of my medication. They've witnessed first hand how much better I am with her. It really is amazing the healing powers of these cats. I mean I really loved Midnight and miss him dearly but I can't ignore the fact that it was Meecho that has really healed me the most.

That and I think my dad would be scared that he would wake up to me standing over his bed at night if something happened to Meecho :Laugh:

Brooke

Banned
It really is amazing the healing powers of these cats. I mean I really loved Midnight and miss him dearly but I can't ignore the fact that it was Meecho that has really healed me the most.

Kalliee, this is SO TRUE!! I would not have made it through this last year if it weren't for my naked cats. :Smile: They really are something special.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would think that if I didn't KNOW he would be more afraid of me if that happened. Not to mention the fact that I suffer from depression and it's only because of Meecho that I was taken off of my medication. They've witnessed first hand how much better I am with her. It really is amazing the healing powers of these cats. I mean I really loved Midnight and miss him dearly but I can't ignore the fact that it was Meecho that has really healed me the most.

That and I think my dad would be scared that he would wake up to me standing over his bed at night if something happened to Meecho :Laugh:

Kallie, I was kidding when I made that comment. :Wink: I didn't REALLY think that your dad would deliberately lose Meecho, because he loves you and knows that Meecho makes you happy. :BigSmile:

I can totally relate to your comment about depression because I am in a similar situation to yours. For the past two years I've been suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome (along with a whole host of other endocrine-based problems) that was so debilitating, my entire quality of life was gone. I was so exhausted and in so much pain at time that if it wasn't for my fiance being so supportive and my cats being there for me, I probably would have ended it all a long time ago. I like to believe that it was not a coincidence that I was able to find Piglet when I did (when I was at my worst physically) and also as quickly as I did...I think there was certainly some "divine intevention" going on there.

All of my cats are a real comfort to me, but Piglet especially has been the light of my life in the seven months I've had her. Since having her in my life, I've been able to keep working and maintain my job (as tough as that was at times having CFS) and I'm now progressively getting better to the point where my doctor is now talking about getting me off some of the many medications I'm taking now. Of course, having a wonderful doctor and excellent providers have been responsible for my recovery, but Piglet helped a lot, too, in giving me a reason to keep going. Just seeing her cute big-eyed, pixie-like little face, hearing her friendly chirps, and laughing at her silly antics every day has made a world of difference for me. I'm sure you can relate with Meecho.

It's because of what Piglet has done for me that I ended up thinking about doing the animal-assisted therapy with her; after all, if she was able to help me recover, I know she can do the same for others who are also in need due to illness, disabilities, etc. It is my greatest wish that Piglet and I can bring a little happiness, companionship, and comfort to those who really need it.

Sorry Kallie and others on this thread, I didn't mean for this post to be so long....and personal. I just wanted to show Kallie that I can totally relate to her situation and why her relationship with Meecho is so important.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Actually it makes me feel soooo much better that someone really can relate. I know we all have people in our lives that think we are obssesive and crazy when it comes to our cats but I really don't think I would still be here if it weren't for Meecho. I unfortunately suffer for a heriditary line of depression so I've been battleing it for as long as I can remember. When I had to put Midnight down in december I was already in a really bad place and I had so much guilt over Midnight I really had moments when I was scared for myself. The only thing that kept me going was finding a sphynx and I truely believe Meecho was meant for me. I mean who has ever heard of a sphynx kitten being posted on an adoption site for over three weeks and NO ONE getting her??? Then to get up there and be in the room with three other people and the only one she will come too and will let pick her up and cuddle her was me. She knew she was waiting for me too :Smile: Sometimes I get really frustrated because it's so hard to come home and hear the whole house screaming about your cat when all you see is this precious little thing. Now I'm not completely delusional either. I KNOW Meecho is a handful and takes a lot of patience lord knows you guys have seen the videos...but I love that about her. I love how she is crazy and kooky and basically acts like a spider monkey on acid. My only wish is that she NEVER grows out of it and if my family don't like it they will just have to learn to suffer because once the apartment is built I WILL have another sphynx!! Boy can't wait to hear the screaming then :LOL:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Actually it makes me feel soooo much better that someone really can relate. I know we all have people in our lives that think we are obssesive and crazy when it comes to our cats but I really don't think I would still be here if it weren't for Meecho. I unfortunately suffer for a heriditary line of depression so I've been battleing it for as long as I can remember. When I had to put Midnight down in december I was already in a really bad place and I had so much guilt over Midnight I really had moments when I was scared for myself. The only thing that kept me going was finding a sphynx and I truely believe Meecho was meant for me. I mean who has ever heard of a sphynx kitten being posted on an adoption site for over three weeks and NO ONE getting her??? Then to get up there and be in the room with three other people and the only one she will come too and will let pick her up and cuddle her was me. She knew she was waiting for me too :Smile: Sometimes I get really frustrated because it's so hard to come home and hear the whole house screaming about your cat when all you see is this precious little thing. Now I'm not completely delusional either. I KNOW Meecho is a handful and takes a lot of patience lord knows you guys have seen the videos...but I love that about her. I love how she is crazy and kooky and basically acts like a spider monkey on acid. My only wish is that she NEVER grows out of it and if my family don't like it they will just have to learn to suffer because once the apartment is built I WILL have another sphynx!! Boy can't wait to hear the screaming then :LOL:

Yep, after all that, it definitely sounds like you and Meecho were meant to be together! I'm glad to hear that Meecho has helped you so much with your recovery from depression. Depression is one of the many components of CFS, too (after all, feeling REALLY tired and bad all the time would bum anybody out!), so I understand the struggle you've had to go through. Thank God that you found Meecho when you did! Sure, people don't understand our obsession with our cats, but the kind of love and companionship we get from these babies are so precious, it's a true gift. :Adore:

So, when is your apartment going to be ready? Boy I bet you can't wait until you move in so you can get yourself another sphynx baby!

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Probably won't even begin building until the beginning of the new year. Because cost of living in my area is so much I can't really afford to have a place of my own, but I'm also REALLY needing my own private space so we are going to build an apartment for me in the basement of the house. This way I can be away from everyone while giving everyone peace of mind. To top off everything a few years ago I was diagnosised with diabetes so it's not really safe to live on your own in case something happens. I just can't wait to have a place of my own where Meecho and her future brother can run free and crazy without anyone yelling at them...except me :Laugh: I have decided my next baby will be a boy. I think a boy may tame Meecho a little....but then maybe not :LOL:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Probably won't even begin building until the beginning of the new year. Because cost of living in my area is so much I can't really afford to have a place of my own, but I'm also REALLY needing my own private space so we are going to build an apartment for me in the basement of the house. This way I can be away from everyone while giving everyone peace of mind. To top off everything a few years ago I was diagnosised with diabetes so it's not really safe to live on your own in case something happens. I just can't wait to have a place of my own where Meecho and her future brother can run free and crazy without anyone yelling at them...except me :Laugh: I have decided my next baby will be a boy. I think a boy may tame Meecho a little....but then maybe not :LOL:

I totally understand....real estate in the DC area is outrageous! Good luck with your new digs coming next year! I think a boy kitty would be good for Meecho...they'll be playing with each other so much, he might wear her down a little bit. Plus, Meecho seems to have an assertive personality that would overwhelm a more timid or sedate female cat.

That's a bummer about the diabetes, though. It's like having CFS...there's no cure for it, you have to take a boatload of meds, and you have to watch your diet to the T. Fun stuff! :Woo:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
yeah the great thing about diabetes is you have watch what you eat and the key to controling it is to lose weight. So why do all the meds they put you on make you GAIN weight :Dizzy: I swear I'm heavier now that I'm a diabetic then when I was well...normal. Oh well you can't choose the cards you were dealt, you just have to make them work for you. The worse is when I started dating this guy and I didn't tell him because I was still coping with it and was working up the courage to tell him. Finally I told him and he broke up with me. How bad is that?? Doesn't matter he obviously wasn't the one plus he hated cats...should've known he was a loser just by that simple fact :Laugh:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Are you serious??? That guy dumped you because you have diabetes???? What a selfish jerk! :Angry: (I would say a stronger word but admin will probably edit it out) Plus, he didn't like cats....LOSER!!!! :ThumbsDown: If a guy doesn't like cats, he's not even worth considering, IMO.

Before I met my wonderful fiance', I dated a guy who told me that he couldn't continue dating me because I was too FAT. Kinda funny considering that I was a size 6 at the time...LOL! :Hysterical:

I hear you re: the diabetes. The meds can be challenging to deal with, for sure. One of the meds I was taking for my CFS made me feel worse than I did already for weeks on end. I felt so nauseous and was in so much pain, I couldn't get out of bed some days. Fortunately, I rode it out and I'm just now starting to feel better. Nonetheless, I can't wait until my doctor finally starts taking me off some of these meds!

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I agree he was a loser and I'm better off without him. I know that the right one is out there and I will have the best way to test them now. If Meecho will go to him then he will have at least passed the door test :LOL:
Then he will have to pass the - will she let him hold her test
Then the - will she let him kiss her test and I'm sure I could come up with a whole list. Kinda feel sorry for him and I haven't even met him yet :Laugh: I'm really in no hurry. It's funny when I was younger I felt like it had to happen right now and now I'm know it will happen when it does, no rush what so ever.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hang in there, girl...the right guy will come along. I was single for many years before I met my now-fiance'. When the time is right, you'll meet that special man and you'll have a ready-made "meecho test" for him to pass. My guy had to pass the cat test (at the time I had just Sydney and Reno, but they were tough critics) when we first started dating. Fortunately Sydney and Reno seemed to like him (they didn't like any of my previous boyfriends), so I knew then I had a "good one". :BigSmile:

Back