Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Time to switch?

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I should have knocked on wood when I said the yeast infection was gone. Last night, I noticed small scab-like bumps developing on her belly (the same place the yeast infection had targeted before clearing up). It's identical to what was there when they said it was part of the yeast infection. The vet called Wednesday to check up on Stella, and I told her that it was completely clear. I was suppose to keep my eye on it and let them know if anything was wrong. During the phone conversation, I told her I thought about changing her diet even though the yeast infection appeared to be gone. After all, what harm could it cause changing to a diet that contains a novel protein? She's on Science Diet as we speak. I thought about switching to Nature's Variety. Changing her diet wasn't recommended in the beginning, because they wanted to see what might have triggered the allergy. I understand, but obviously it is back so therefore I want to change it. Unfortunately, I need to make a trip to Petco this afternoon for some more food because we are out. According to Petco's website, they don't sell Nature's Variety. I found the link in a thread Pitrottmommy posted (Prairie: Lamb Meal & Oatmeal Medley). Until a bag of Nature's Variety comes in, I'm stuck trying to find something temporary to use. I heard the best way to switch a cat's diet is to add a little of the new food to their dish and decrease the old food little by little. Perhaps I should buy the Science Diet and do this method once Nature's Variety comes in?

One thing I want to add is that I noticed a little redness on the right side of her mouth last night. It sort of looked like red bumps on the right side of her mouth. However, there is no redness today. In fact, it looks like very tiny scabs. Almost hard to see. It freaked me out after reading what Maggie-Mae is going through. I'm hoping it was only scratches she got from play fighting Izzy. There are small scratches further to the left, which leads me to believe it's just an "injury" from rough-housing. I plan on visiting the vet Monday. Does anyone have any advice about the food situation?

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Awwww that's so sad to hear about Stella we just want r girls to be all better! I just switched Maggie to natures variety & so far so good! She is on the lamb & oatmeal. I think u should try to switch her food & see if she gets better. As far as stella's lip it sounds like scratches from playing, Maggie's didn't look
like scratches when hers started. Let me know how she is :) love Maggie & Jessica <3

Brooke

Banned
I should have knocked on wood when I said the yeast infection was gone. Last night, I noticed small scab-like bumps developing on her belly (the same place the yeast infection had targeted before clearing up). It's identical to what was there when they said it was part of the yeast infection. The vet called Wednesday to check up on Stella, and I told her that it was completely clear. I was suppose to keep my eye on it and let them know if anything was wrong. During the phone conversation, I told her I thought about changing her diet even though the yeast infection appeared to be gone. After all, what harm could it cause changing to a diet that contains a novel protein? She's on Science Diet as we speak. I thought about switching to Nature's Variety. Changing her diet wasn't recommended in the beginning, because they wanted to see what might have triggered the allergy. I understand, but obviously it is back so therefore I want to change it. Unfortunately, I need to make a trip to Petco this afternoon for some more food because we are out. According to Petco's website, they don't sell Nature's Variety. I found the link in a thread Pitrottmommy posted (Prairie: Lamb Meal & Oatmeal Medley). Until a bag of Nature's Variety comes in, I'm stuck trying to find something temporary to use. I heard the best way to switch a cat's diet is to add a little of the new food to their dish and decrease the old food little by little. Perhaps I should buy the Science Diet and do this method once Nature's Variety comes in?

One thing I want to add is that I noticed a little redness on the right side of her mouth last night. It sort of looked like red bumps on the right side of her mouth. However, there is no redness today. In fact, it looks like very tiny scabs. Almost hard to see. It freaked me out after reading what Maggie-Mae is going through. I'm hoping it was only scratches she got from play fighting Izzy. There are small scratches further to the left, which leads me to believe it's just an "injury" from rough-housing. I plan on visiting the vet Monday. Does anyone have any advice about the food situation?

Hi Ultra_Stella,
Any idea when the bag of NV will be coming in? You're ordering the Prairie kibble, right? You'll definitely want to do a slow switch with that food to avoid Stella getting an upset stomach, so I would buy a small bag of the Science Diet, just enough to feed her now and cover the switch to the new food (which should take 4-5 days). From what I understand, the only food you can safely do a fast switch with is the frozen raw food. Switching to a different food now and then again to the Prairie when it comes in might just be too much for her to handle.

It seems like the mouth sores could also be allergy related (hard to say). Maybe since she's been medicated, it was keeping them at bay but now that she's finished with her meds, the allergies are taking over, so to speak? But usually skin and mouth type sores are caused by food allergies... good luck!!

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Awwww that's so sad to hear about Stella we just want r girls to be all better! I just switched Maggie to natures variety & so far so good! She is on the lamb & oatmeal. I think u should try to switch her food & see if she gets better. As far as stella's lip it sounds like scratches from playing, Maggie's didn't look
like scratches when hers started. Let me know how she is :) love Maggie & Jessica <3

Thank you! I know, we just want the best for these little ones! See, at first it looked like there was a sore on her mouth because of the redness. When I looked closer, I noticed it sort of looked like little red bumps. It was hard to tell. Today, it's not red. I just took another look at it and it looks like very tiny, scabs. So tiny.

Brooke

Banned

Hey, Maggie's Mommy! That's awesome news!! Please keep us updated on Maggie's lip, but I have a pretty good feeling you figured out what her allergy was! :Celebrate:

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi Ultra_Stella,
Any idea when the bag of NV will be coming in? You're ordering the Prairie kibble, right? You'll definitely want to do a slow switch with that food to avoid Stella getting an upset stomach, so I would buy a small bag of the Science Diet, just enough to feed her now and cover the switch to the new food (which should take 4-5 days). From what I understand, the only food you can safely do a fast switch with is the frozen raw food. Switching to a different food now and then again to the Prairie when it comes in might just be too much for her to handle.

It seems like the mouth sores could also be allergy related (hard to say). Maybe since she's been medicated, it was keeping them at bay but now that she's finished with her meds, the allergies are taking over, so to speak? But usually skin and mouth type sores are caused by food allergies... good luck!!

Thank you! I plan on ordering the bag of Prairie Kibbles here shortly, so I am not sure when it will come in. I really hope those aren't mouth sores. It doesn't even look like she has anything sore on her mouth today. Like I said, they look like very tiny scabs. It's hard to see unless you're up close to her face. Honestly, it could be dirt!

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh, here's my other problem. I will have to switch both Stella's and Izzy's food. It is so hard to keep them out of each others' bowls. They are both on Science Diet (Adult). I hope the switch does them both well. I will be so upset if yet another problem occurs. :(

Brooke

Banned
Thank you! I plan on ordering the bag of Prairie Kibbles here shortly, so I am not sure when it will come in. I really hope those aren't mouth sores. It doesn't even look like she has anything sore on her mouth today. Like I said, they look like very tiny scabs. It's hard to see unless you're up close to her face. Honestly, it could be dirt!

I hear that loud and clear...I was out of town last month for a couple of days and when I got back, Nelson had what appeared to be a dime-sized scab on his neck...I inspected it, got out my handy Malaseb pledgets to make sure it didn't get infected and while I was wiping it down, the "scab" fell off... it was a piece of dried poop.:LOL:

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hear that loud and clear...I was out of town last month for a couple of days and when I got back, Nelson had what appeared to be a dime-sized scab on his neck...I inspected it, got out my handy Malaseb pledgets to make sure it didn't get infected and while I was wiping it down, the "scab" fell off... it was a piece of dried poop.:LOL:

LOL Wow. I bet this was the only time you've ever been excited to see a piece of dried poop. :LOL:

Brooke

Banned
Oh, here's my other problem. I will have to switch both Stella's and Izzy's food. It is so hard to keep them out of each others' bowls. They are both on Science Diet (Adult). I hope the switch does them both well. I will be so upset if yet another problem occurs. :(

No worries! Even if Izzy doesn't have any signs of being allergic to the ingredients in the Science Diet, it contains a lot of stuff that she just doesn't need. You're upgrading to a better food. You might even notice an improvement in her energy level, her fur may become softer or shinier. It's the equivalent of changing your diet from junk food to health food!

I switched to NV because of Nelson's irritable bowel problems, but like you, it was easiest to switch all 4 of my cats - impossible to feed them different kinds of food... I noticed an improvement in all of them that I wasn't even expecting. Most notably, Helen's dry skin is now soft and shiny and she immediately had twice as much energy.

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
No worries! Even if Izzy doesn't have any signs of being allergic to the ingredients in the Science Diet, it contains a lot of stuff that she just doesn't need. You're upgrading to a better food. You might even notice an improvement in her energy level, her fur may become softer or shinier. It's the equivalent of changing your diet from junk food to health food!

I switched to NV because of Nelson's irritable bowel problems, but like you, it was easiest to switch all 4 of my cats - impossible to feed them different kinds of food... I noticed an improvement in all of them that I wasn't even expecting. Most notably, Helen's dry skin is now soft and shiny and she immediately had twice as much energy.

That's great to hear. I feel bad for keeping them on Science Diet. I feel like I have done them wrong! I remember when I first joined this website, I found others who kept their kitties on Science Diet. I felt as though it was a great brand. I have found out otherwise.

AWESOME! I just found a place in town that carries Prairie's Kibbles for cats. More importantly, the Lamb Meal & Oatmeal Medley. SO EXCITED. Need to get this taking care of today! Unfortunately, I need to get ready for a wedding. Excuse me, both my boyfriend and I need to get ready. However, it's going to take me longer than him. :Laugh: I want to send him out to get it, but there's one problem. . . I turned around and everyone is asleep! I knew Stella was asleep because she's sleeping on the chair that I am sitting on right now. Somehow I migrated towards the edge. I was sitting here before she took over, lol. My boyfriend is passed out on the couch and Izzy is laying across him.

Brooke

Banned
I knew Stella was asleep because she's sleeping on the chair that I am sitting on right now. Somehow I migrated towards the edge. I was sitting here before she took over, lol. My boyfriend is passed out on the couch and Izzy is laying across him.

Isn't it odd how that happens? I'm sitting sideways on the edge of the couch because somehow Helen -all 6 pounds of her- is hogging the rest of it! :LOL::LOL:

Back