Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Tips on getting 1year old cat being nice to new 5month old

Aloha! Laulau got a lil 5month old brother! We got kahiki on Sunday, our 1yr old laulau is still unsure of the new brother, no big fights but he does chase kahiki around and then will pounce on him and bite him. Kahiki gets scared but still trys to be nice to laulau. And we're trying to switch the younger one to laulaus hills science tho laulau is STILL having loose stool once a day :( the sardines help but he still, in any case I guess were just going to still switch but ugghhh kahikis poops are all nice still and I just don't want them to get all messed up. Laulau was on the same food as kahiki but then started throwing up and having diarrhea, since being on hills science z/d his little rash clears up on his arm pit for the most part sometimes it comes and goes but he doesn't throw up but still has loose stool once a day pretty much .... any suggestions? What kind of pumpkin cans does everyone get? Hoping our babies start to really love each other and figure out this on going poop issue with laulau

Attachments

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
You cant buy canned pumpkin puree in Australia so when I needed it I bought some pumpkin lightly roasted it unseasoned and then pureed it myself and that works great. I just put a bit in an icecube tray and keep frozen :)
Also from what you described it seems like normal cat behaviour to me they need to work out a pecking order themselves so there will be pouncing and biting so they can figure out who's the boss between them as long as you keep and eye on them and there isn't any outward super aggressive behaviour I think you are doing a good job.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member

I have used this brand before. I agree things sound normal and by the pic you shared they look mighty happy lol. Our boys are over a year apart and they play very hard as well. One minute biting and wrestling then snuggled up and sleeping with each other. Did you get a poop sample to your vet to rule out parasites?

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Congratulations! What a little cutie he is. I'm sure Laulau and Kahiki will be best buddies soon.

I have used this brand before. I agree things sound normal and by the pic you shared they look mighty happy lol. Our boys are over a year apart and they play very hard as well. One minute biting and wrestling then snuggled up and sleeping with each other. Did you get a poop sample to your vet to rule out parasites?
Yes we have but nothing came back I guess... they have him a round of de-wormer just in case but still nothing I'll be bringing him back... I HATE the vets here in Hawaii there terrible

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Aloha! Laulau got a lil 5month old brother! We got kahiki on Sunday, our 1yr old laulau is still unsure of the new brother, no big fights but he does chase kahiki around and then will pounce on him and bite him. Kahiki gets scared but still trys to be nice to laulau. And we're trying to switch the younger one to laulaus hills science tho laulau is STILL having loose stool once a day :( the sardines help but he still, in any case I guess were just going to still switch but ugghhh kahikis poops are all nice still and I just don't want them to get all messed up. Laulau was on the same food as kahiki but then started throwing up and having diarrhea, since being on hills science z/d his little rash clears up on his arm pit for the most part sometimes it comes and goes but he doesn't throw up but still has loose stool once a day pretty much .... any suggestions? What kind of pumpkin cans does everyone get? Hoping our babies start to really love each other and figure out this on going poop issue with laulau
Hello , well well kahiki is just too darn cute for words ! I am sure that Laulau is just showing she is the boss , and I am sure they will become inseparable in no time at all , she just needs a little time to get used to having the ickle one around . When we got Bagins it was him who was threatening Cleo lol
Try giving them time apart , and spend quality time alone with you in as much as kahiki needs to bond with you as well . And laulau needs to be reassured she is still your baby as well .
I am no expert at all but this is how I did it with Cleo and Bagins ..
I’m sure all will just fall into place ,
Xxx❤️❤️❤️

Hi! The hypoallergenic diets (like z/d) have a tendency to be low in fiber so soft stools can actually be "normal" (as long as they still have at least some form). Z/D has 3.5% crude fiber max. Royal Canin's Ultamino diet is one of the higher fiber hypoallergenic diets with 5.6% crude fiber max if you want to try something new for both of them. Also I would have a fecal PCR run on his stool if you haven't already. He needs to be off of any antibiotics for at least a week before the test is run if he is on any. It is a little expensive but it is the only truly reliable way to test for parasites, protozoans, and viruses. I work at a hospital and i can tell you that in-house fecal exams are not that trustworthy. I personally wouldn't waste my money on them. Also, good luck with your new baby! It took my girl about three weeks to get used to her new brother and they're best friends now. But for the first few weeks I definitely thought that I had ruined her life lol.

@TajMahal thank You! Yes i had a fecal test done at the vet awhile ago but nothing really came up but decided to give him a round of dewormer just in case nothing changed.....NOW both my boys have the runs I didn't know z/d was low in fiber they use to eat royal cannine sensitive digestion but that had started to make our older one have irritated skin, throw up and have the runs.... is the ultimino royal cannine different from the sensitive digestion?? I'm going to be looking at changing their food

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Laulau , happy Kahiki gotcha!
Lots of slow intros as mentioned in threads
@TajMahal thanks for sharing great advice

All paws paws crossed the poo issues resolve .
Some members use probiotics , 100% pure psyllium , you can ask your vet about.

I did notice my crew had loose stools on Orijen or Acana
I was reading up and learned hairball formulas can help with poo issues too.
I got some hills urinary hairball kibble I use as treats - I no longer give any packaged treats and no table scraps .

Hopefully others in your area can chime in with suggestions that you can mention to your vet

also my vet told me I can return any of the "prescription food " to them for a full refund
(Had to do this with the c/d food ) worth asking your vet .

Such a delicate balance to find foods that work . I actually went grain inclusive for over a year and they have no more soft poo .

Look forward to updates and an introduction thread of Kahiki!

Here is a great thread Introducing a new adult sphynx cat or sphynx kitten into the home
Be sure to scroll down to similar threads to at the bottom of the link

Head smooches sent

So I would check with your vet to make sure it was a fecal PCR and not just a standard fecal test. PCR results should looks like the file I attached (obviously many of Taj's results were still pending at the time). PCR stands for Polymerase Chain Reaction and it is a test that is used to amplify small sequences of DNA in order to identify various parasites and viruses that would go undetected in a standard fecal exam. Results usually take 3-5 days.

And to answer your question Ultamino is a hydrolyzed protein diet. That essentially means that any proteins present have been broken down into smaller parts. In a healthy cat the digestive system can do this by itself without any negative side effects, but in cats that are sensitive or genuinely allergic to that specific protein, the process of breaking down the protein triggers an immune reaction which could lead to the symptoms you've been seeing. For some cats just changing to a different protein (like duck, venison, rabbit or any number of "novel" proteins) will do the trick. But some animals are allergic to so many different proteins that the only option is to chemically break down the protein prior to them eating it so that, in its smaller parts, it is unrecognizable to the body's immune system. This is a bit of a simplification, but essentially hydrolyzed protein diets, like ultamino, are ultra-hypoallergenic and usually great for cats that have sensitivities. That being said, as you've seen with the Z/D, some individuals can have a negative response despite all of this. Luckily, like Yoda mom said, all of the veterinary diets have a 100% money back guarantee (I would purchase through Chewy for the best price) and you can return them if they don't work. I would also consider seeing a veterinary nutritionist if the symptoms worsen and can't be explained by something like a parasite or T. foetus.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I want you to be able to make an informed decision! Best of luck and let us know how everything works out!

Attachments

Also like Yodamom said, make sure that the kitties are getting absolutely no other food or treats on a hypoallergenic diet or it is unlikely to work.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@TajMahal great info thank you !
(Perhaps that's why the Nutrisource I now feed works for my crew at 5% fiber )

@Laulau
We have seen some kitties diagnosed with tritrichomonas or crypo
that isn't posted about as frequently as giardia.
I would ask your vet if these were ruled out .

Tritrichomonas foetus (Diarrhea)
Sphynx cat with Diarrhea (Giardia)

Keep us updated often
I look forward to the day when we see bestie pics of your babies

So I would check with your vet to make sure it was a fecal PCR and not just a standard fecal test. PCR results should looks like the file I attached (obviously many of Taj's results were still pending at the time). PCR stands for Polymerase Chain Reaction and it is a test that is used to amplify small sequences of DNA in order to identify various parasites and viruses that would go undetected in a standard fecal exam. Results usually take 3-5 days.

And to answer your question Ultamino is a hydrolyzed protein diet. That essentially means that any proteins present have been broken down into smaller parts. In a healthy cat the digestive system can do this by itself without any negative side effects, but in cats that are sensitive or genuinely allergic to that specific protein, the process of breaking down the protein triggers an immune reaction which could lead to the symptoms you've been seeing. For some cats just changing to a different protein (like duck, venison, rabbit or any number of "novel" proteins) will do the trick. But some animals are allergic to so many different proteins that the only option is to chemically break down the protein prior to them eating it so that, in its smaller parts, it is unrecognizable to the body's immune system. This is a bit of a simplification, but essentially hydrolyzed protein diets, like ultamino, are ultra-hypoallergenic and usually great for cats that have sensitivities. That being said, as you've seen with the Z/D, some individuals can have a negative response despite all of this. Luckily, like Yoda mom said, all of the veterinary diets have a 100% money back guarantee (I would purchase through Chewy for the best price) and you can return them if they don't work. I would also consider seeing a veterinary nutritionist if the symptoms worsen and can't be explained by something like a parasite or T. foetus.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I want you to be able to make an informed decision! Best of luck and let us know how everything works out!
Thank you so much so helpfull!! I will definitely be asking for a fecal pcr test