Welcome to the Sphynxlair community! A community dedicated to the Sphynx breed!

Tips to curb biting during play?

Let me just day I LOVE this cat. She is so unique and precious. Really, a wonderful breed I do not regret.

Missy is four months old now and totally settled in, we've had her just under a month now. Now that she's more comfortable though, I find she's getting a bit more aggressive in her play. Don't get me wrong, shes never attacked us or intentionally bitten or scratched us. Not even when we do things she doesn't like, like baths, but she's getting into some bad behaviours with play.

I always tell her a firm no when she bites and remove my hand, I also redirect to give her something she CAN chew. Hubby is on board and does the same things (or so he tells me). I just dont feel like in the past few weeks I've seen any progress..she seems to be chewing and biting more, if anything. I was wondering, could it be related to teething at all? Are they still teething at four months?

I'd just appreciate any tips to help us curb these habits, even if its just "do the same, it just takes time." This is my first kitten so it's all new territory for me!

Bailey21

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It seems like you and your hubby are already on the right track of redirecting Missy and giving her something that she can chew on! In my opinion I would say shes definitely teething, as their adult teeth can take up to 6 months for all of them to come through.

You guys are doing a great job, it really does take time and patience. I found Yoda to stop biting/chewing around 6-7 months old.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Most are teething up to 6 months and some longer. I looked at our kitten’s mouth and as of last weekend, he has his baby teeth. Sounds crazy, but hissing at them helps curb many kitten behaviors as that is what their mom did. I prep 4 food bowls and hiss when they get too nosey trying to weasel their way in. Being consistent is key. I also use canned air (what you clean a keyboard with)which hisses and it works great. Our kitten has wanted to,explore the hot stove so I squeeze the trigger and he immediately stops. Never spray at or in eyes, but for me it has worked for years with our crew.

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You and hubby are on the right track with Missy the biting kitten:). Keep saying no, and she'll learn. She's probably teething what makes her biting worse.